Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 7 and was medicated until I was about 15 then the doctor said I should be fine without it which I was until I was about 19. I am now 21 and have been experiencing depression and anxiety which i am currently medicated for but im curious to know if this could actually be my ADHD re-emerging. Is there anyone else who has ADHD/ADD as well as depression/anxiety ? Should these disorders be treated seperately ?

·
Banned
206 Posts
hey all, I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 7 and was medicated until I was about 15 then the doctor said I should be fine without it which I was until I was about 19. I am now 21 and have been experiencing depression and anxiety which i am currently medicated for but im curious to know if this could actually be my ADHD re-emerging. Is there anyone else who has ADHD/ADD as well as depression/anxiety ? Should these disorders be treated seperately ?
I think I have ADHD, was never diagnosed with ADHD though.

My main symptoms are that when reading for example I can't fully concentrate on what I'm reading and absorbing it properly, I'm always in a hurry to finish the paragraph or I end up reading a paragraph and didn't even understand what's being said there. Another things I do when reading for instance, I skip a lot of lines and barely able to concentrate..

Sometimes when people are talking to me I cannot comprehend what they're saying even though I can hear them alright.

In school when I was a kid, I always was told that I am easily distracted, and could never understand math for example. Everyone was resolving the math problems, and I was the only one that couldn't comprehend them. I also had a difficult time learning.... etc.

What are your symptoms maybe we can compare them?
And yes I believe there are different kinds of treatments for ADHD and anxiety/depression.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was diagnosed with ADD when i was little, i started kindergarden late, like around 5 and i have a learning disabilty, i have always struggled with really bad shyness and feelings of inferiority, mostly from constant bullying, i dont know when i developed SA/ GAD but the last couple years have been bad, no friends since high school, no girlfriend, i have been told i have really good qualities like pretty eyes but low self esteem causes me to not focus on the good but on the bad things i have seen and heard, i am wondering if there is link between ADHD/ADD and developing GAD and depression later on \

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have ADHD, was never diagnosed with ADHD though.

My main symptoms are that when reading for example I can't fully concentrate on what I'm reading and absorbing it properly, I'm always in a hurry to finish the paragraph or I end up reading a paragraph and didn't even understand what's being said there. Another things I do when reading for instance, I skip a lot of lines and barely able to concentrate..

Sometimes when people are talking to me I cannot comprehend what they're saying even though I can hear them alright.

In school when I was a kid, I always was told that I am easily distracted, and could never understand math for example. Everyone was resolving the math problems, and I was the only one that couldn't comprehend them. I also had a difficult time learning.... etc.

What are your symptoms maybe we can compare them?
And yes I believe there are different kinds of treatments for ADHD and anxiety/depression.
Hey, thanks for the reply.. What you explained is definetly a symptom of ADHD however, what generally happens is you will go through phases where you 'hyper-focus' on things which interest you. This can be good but also bad. Another symptom I have is losing focus/attention really quickly followed by feelings of irritability/anxiousness or for example; I would wake up in the morning and feel like I have to be physically doing something or ill go mad. When you cant satisfy your need for physical exercise/mental stimulation I think this has lead to my depression/anxiety. If you find yourself constantly fidgeting/unable to stay still always on edge or the urge to do stupid things out of boredom/curiosity I would definetly recommend to see a doctor to enquire about ADHD/ADD.

Contrastively, many, many, many successful people have ADHD so long as you know how to manage it, I see it as a benefit. This is what im trying to at the moment ! Goodluck

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
The symptoms of ADD will vary from person to person, and will depend on whether they are predominantly innatentive or hyperactive. I was diagnosed in my mid-20s and was on treatment for a while but quit because I couldn't really be bothered with it. I believe there are higher rates of depression and anxiety in the ADD population compared to normals. Some people with ADD find their ADD medication eases their anxiety, whereas others find it makes it worse.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply.. What you explained is definetly a symptom of ADHD however, what generally happens is you will go through phases where you 'hyper-focus' on things which interest you. This can be good but also bad. Another symptom I have is losing focus/attention really quickly followed by feelings of irritability/anxiousness or for example; I would wake up in the morning and feel like I have to be physically doing something or ill go mad. When you cant satisfy your need for physical exercise/mental stimulation I think this has lead to my depression/anxiety. If you find yourself constantly fidgeting/unable to stay still always on edge or the urge to do stupid things out of boredom/curiosity I would definetly recommend to see a doctor to enquire about ADHD/ADD.

Contrastively, many, many, many successful people have ADHD so long as you know how to manage it, I see it as a benefit. This is what im trying to at the moment ! Goodluck
I also have that.

Send me a PM if you're up to chat about this.

(I never have been treated for ADHD).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The symptoms of ADD will vary from person to person, and will depend on whether they are predominantly innatentive or hyperactive. I was diagnosed in my mid-20s and was on treatment for a while but quit because I couldn't really be bothered with it. I believe there are higher rates of depression and anxiety in the ADD population compared to normals. Some people with ADD find their ADD medication eases their anxiety, whereas others find it makes it worse.
Thanks, when I was medicated for ADHD I never experienced anxiety/depression so my only conclusion would be that the medication prevented that from occurring but its impossible to know for sure. I will be seeing the doctor tomorrow to find out :) I also believe that higher rates of anxiety/depression occur in those with ADHD due to the nature of the condition especially if left undiagnosed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts