Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I often seem to be the target of everyone's jokes. Most of the time it's purely poking fun, but I'm sick of it. I know how to take a joke, but it just feels like I get no respect sometimes. I always get the feeling like something is wrong with me. Am I not cool or something? Do I take things too seriously? Anytime my friends make fun of me, I always feel like crap.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You can probably stop it if you want. Just stand up for yourself.
I used to get made fun of a lot but it never bothered me unless it was downright bullying. I used to encourage the jokes a bit but eventually got tired of being looked down upon by others. I can take the joke fine, but I wont have people thinking they're better than me for it. So I started giving it back to them and try to put them in their place.

I suggest you don't take your friends too seriously, and try to give it back to them when they deserve it.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I have been the target of a few jokes at times in the past. Basically, I try not to put myself out there enough for people to find my flaws and exploit them for their pathetic jokes.

I don't mind a good natured jab. I can even laugh at myself. But there's a difference and I think most people know what it is. Most people know when they're being playful and when they're really trying to hurt someone's feelings. It's that deliberate cruelty that makes my blood boil.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I am sorry you feel that way. I have found the best way to avoid being made fun of is to make silly fun of yourself. If you have a big nose ( like I do) I often make silly jokes about it. Once people realize that you are comfortable with yourself, they will stop making fun of you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yea I used to get teased alot in High School. Even the teachers would take jabs at me in front of the whole class and then the students will follow. It was fun at first getting attention and all but then it got old real quick. I guess its my fault for just laughing everything off. Even the girls would mess with me, hitting me upside the head, playing with my hair, rubbing lotion on my face when I fell asleep in class. God I was such a punk.

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not afraid to pick a fight with someone who is crossing the line. I mean these are my friends, it's teasing. I always stand up for myself. It just gets hard when you have people ganging up on you. If it's one person I can stand my ground, more than one and I get upset.

Now that I read my post again I realize I was overreacting. I was just upset last night because two of my friends were teasing me. I don't ALWAYS get made fun of. I'm just real sensitive to it for some reason and they see that which makes them want to do it more.

I actually used to make fun of other people when I was younger. I stopped doing that some time ago because I hated that about me.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Have the same exact problem. I was picked on constantly in school. I still seem to be targeted at work, but it is nowhere near the level of when I was in school. Only a few people have bothered me in college. It's probably because there are no dorms and people don't get as much of a chance to know each other.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Anytime my friends make fun of me, I always feel like crap.
My friends never make fun of me. I think that could be because I have no friends.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Yea I used to get teased alot in High School. Even the teachers would take jabs at me in front of the whole class and then the students will follow. It was fun at first getting attention and all but then it got old real quick. I guess its my fault for just laughing everything off.
Ditto. It was nice to get some attention and be "funny"/popular for something but nowadays it's started to get annoying so I've stopped reacting at all to it (except rolling my eyes). I used to be teased for having a high metabolism, being short/skinny, for speaking fast, for sleeping too late, for being a "computer addict" etc.

·
Banned
497 Posts
For some reason I often seem to be the target of everyone's jokes. Most of the time it's purely poking fun, but I'm sick of it. I know how to take a joke, but it just feels like I get no respect sometimes. I always get the feeling like something is wrong with me. Am I not cool or something? Do I take things too seriously? Anytime my friends make fun of me, I always feel like crap.
i did for the 1st 21 yars of my life. it happened all of the time. family , friends , new people i met all used to gang up and make fun of me , i was the but of the jokes and i took it very persoanlly

at the age of 21 i changed though and after that it all stopped

what happens in your outside world is a reflection of your inside world. if you are getting made fun of all of the time then you need to look atwhat is inside your conciousness. maybe you hold beleifs like ''everyone is out to make fun of me'' '' or other people are critical''. beleifs are self fullfiling prophercys and they always come true

when i was a kid i had a couple of experiences were peers and family members grouped up and made fun of me. from those experiences i developed beleifs. then throughout my life i constantly got made fun of , this was because of the beleifs i held, they were coming true .

·
Recluse
835 Posts
Me. By people at school, college, work. I can't stand up to the person who makes fun of me at the moment because he is my employer and I'd like to keep my job so I don't have to drop out of university.

One piece of advice I will give you, that is contrary to what some people have said, is don't play along with it and join in yourself. I did this when I was at school and it increased the amount of bullying 10 fold. If you are in a position where you can stand up to it or at least not encourage it, please try to do so. I'd hate to think of another person become as screwed up as me because of bullying like this.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I noticed that people will respect you more if you speak your mind and don't let them walk all over you. I can't stand up for myself because it's just not who I am. I care but I just don't care enough. I'm too nice to ever make somebody feel like crap. Who has the time of day to sit around and bring someone down. I thought I was lifeless but I just look at them as the lifeless ones. They have everything in the world and are still the most unhappy people I ever met.

·
Registered
10 Posts
People at work

I never realized at first but I was often talked about, or was the but of other peoples jokes at work. I work in construction so I'm not dealing with the most compassionate or understanding people. Most of this went on behind my back, but it eventually became known to me. For the most part I tryed to laugh it off, but I still regret not punching a few people out. I spend a lot of time in the gym, and I was bigger than most of these guys. I don't work with these people any more, but I wouldn't mind bumping into a few of them now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only way to not be the butt of other people jokes is to develop a personality that's hard to make fun of. You have to try to be less sensitive to other peoples jabs at you. The best way to start is by making snipes at them, clever comments here and there, etc. Become a snide mother ****er. Once you do that, some people will leave you alone for fear of verbal retaliation... other people won't. But at least then, you'll be able to defend yourself and be able to strike back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When you can I've learned to laugh with them, be able to laugh at yourself, if their intent was to disrupt you emotionally and try to humiliate you they will have failed. Just a little laugh is all you need. The key is to show that it doesn't bother you. They will be more likely to leave you alone if that was their intent.

Yes I have been made fun of really bad and have learned in my case trying to make snide remarks back has only given the person permission to continue bullying. It will show that you're clearly offended by what they did, and if its the type of bully I'm thinking of you've given them what they wanted. Being clever at times when you're in a bind emotionally and under social scrutiny can be near impossible with SAD from what I've experienced.

I think an important thing I think about is that being a snide back to people to defend yourself might just make you look angry and less likable to people around you. If it fits your personality to be a tough take no crap from no one type of guy then I guess you might go with that. But that being said being able to laugh at your own flaws is a desirable character trait, people will usually like that in a person.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It depends on who's making fun of you. If it's friends they're trying to "help you come out of your shell" in their funny way. Sometimes friends don't realise if it's hurting you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can take being made fun of in moderation, but it seems that I am the guy that gets singled out by this one group of friends i have, its annoying and disrespectful and obvious that they look down on me and am of lower standing in the group. It also rubs off on new friends I just met. I've seen it happen to other guys in their group of friends and is seemingly a male thing. Before you diagnose yourself with depression or anxiety make sure your not surrounded by *******s.

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
not any more

it happened at early school. I've built more resilience

Maybe I've caused some of my problems by being defensive and superior

1 - 20 of 27 Posts