Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been laidoff for abt a year. I have pretty much given up trying to find a job due to personal reasons. Just wondering what people do with their day when you are jobless

·
Registered
10 Posts
yea being jobless and having SA is just the worst combo. I go to school now but 2 years ago i dropped out and was just sitting at home for a whole year. Yea i had the odd job here and there but i usually quit within a month. So of course i'm umemployed, is it weird that i look forward to going back to school in september.

As for what i do with my day, i usually just read, go for walks, listen to music, and go online. Not a very productive day, but it's comfortable.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I am unemployed and the lifestyle sucks cuz everything I want/need requires money and all the money I have I am saving for tuition/etc and I'm living at home which I don't like but what are my options given the fact I've only had 1 job and barely any skills..........

·
Registered
492 Posts
*raises hand*
Yeah it sucks, I'm in school now and I'll be graduating in dec, hopefully I can find work as a graphic designer(the degree im getting) If not I'm going to probably move to south Carolina with my father. I'd probably be able to get job down there. cuz now i live with my mother and she barely goes food shopping. If not for my girlfriend occasionally buying me a meal i'd never eat. damn i miss her:blank

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
MEEEEE!

I spend most of my time on Wikipedia looking stuff up, or looking for low SA jobs, although I'm thinking about going to grad school. Academia is looking better to me than working in one of the many "FAST-PACED! TEAM-ORIENTED! GOAL ORIENTED! RESULTS DRIVEN!" careers.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MEEEEE!

I spend most of my time on Wikipedia looking stuff up, or looking for low SA jobs, although I'm thinking about going to grad school. Academia is looking better to me than working in one of the many "FAST-PACED! TEAM-ORIENTED! GOAL ORIENTED! RESULTS DRIVEN!" careers.
What type of low SA jobs have you found?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am and it's been really hard trying to motivate myself to do anything...especially since you said, it all requires cash that I don't have coming in. I've been spending my days looking at job ads, researching wedding things (for a wedding that I REALLY can't afford now *sigh*), cleaning, and making lists of things I want to do so I don't waste my time. Ha lol

I'm looking for positions in non-profit organizations since that is where I last worked. I just hope I find a more understanding boss this time. It's happened before so maybe I will. *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
416 Posts
been laid off /fired for almost 8 months. sitting at home. I live in a small town where my kind of jobs are hard to find.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very few, haha. I'm looking mostly for clerical/secretarial type stuff though. I think that should be pretty easy on the SA. I also applied for a job as a stocker at Petsmart.
But as a clerical secretary or admin type job don't you have to be cheerful go getter? You are at the beck and call of top executives and management, etc. Every job announcement I go to requires being able to confront and speak in fron of others. Would you work in a call center where you answered phones all day and didnt have to socialize with co-workers?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am and it's been really hard trying to motivate myself to do anything...especially since you said, it all requires cash that I don't have coming in. I've been spending my days looking at job ads, researching wedding things (for a wedding that I REALLY can't afford now *sigh*), cleaning, and making lists of things I want to do so I don't waste my time. Ha lol

I'm looking for positions in non-profit organizations since that is where I last worked. I just hope I find a more understanding boss this time. It's happened before so maybe I will. *crosses fingers*
What type of positions are there in non profits? How do you get training?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am employed, and carry out my job responsibilities very well, but my pay is so low, I consider myself virtually unemployed.

But, I supose it's better to have virtually no income, than no income at all.
What do you do? I just get unemployment money

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I've been unemployed since 05. I've thought at times about looking for a job but every classified ad I look at screams "Don't apply for this job if you're a loser!" at me.

Whenever I get a job, I invariably hate it and want nothing more than just not to have to go to work. I usually end up hating my bosses, my doodies and most of all, my pay. I end up feeling worse than I do when I'm unemployed because the pay is so low I might as well be doing it all for free. And the bosses usually act like you're being paid good money and should be grateful. Hell with that.

My last job, among other things, I had to unload the delivery truck on Monday and Thursday mornings. That meant I had to be there at 4 in the morning. It wasn't too bad in the summer but in the winter, holy cow! It was like 5 below every morning and at least half of the load had to go into a walk-in freezer. So the stock room was freezing and the freezer was even more freezing. The stuff coming off the truck was ice cold. There was ice on the floor in the freezer. And to beat it all, if I didn't get done fast enough (So I could go upstairs and start serving customers when they opened) my boss would start yelling at me.

Anyway, after all of that, I had to go and work as an order taker/cashier for 8 hours. The only thing I miss about that job is a couple of the people I knew were very nice. Otherwise, it was like being crucified every day, going home, being glad I wasn't being crucified anymore for a few hours and then going to bed so I could do it all again.

I'd rather be unemployed than do that garbage for 7 bucks an hour.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been unemployed since 05. I've thought at times about looking for a job but every classified ad I look at screams "Don't apply for this job if you're a loser!" at me.

Whenever I get a job, I invariably hate it and want nothing more than just not to have to go to work. I usually end up hating my bosses, my doodies and most of all, my pay. I end up feeling worse than I do when I'm unemployed because the pay is so low I might as well be doing it all for free. And the bosses usually act like you're being paid good money and should be grateful. Hell with that.

My last job, among other things, I had to unload the delivery truck on Monday and Thursday mornings. That meant I had to be there at 4 in the morning. It wasn't too bad in the summer but in the winter, holy cow! It was like 5 below every morning and at least half of the load had to go into a walk-in freezer. So the stock room was freezing and the freezer was even more freezing. The stuff coming off the truck was ice cold. There was ice on the floor in the freezer. And to beat it all, if I didn't get done fast enough (So I could go upstairs and start serving customers when they opened) my boss would start yelling at me.

Anyway, after all of that, I had to go and work as an order taker.cashier for 8 hours. The only thing I miss about that job is a couple of the people I knew were very nice. Otherwise, it was like being crucified every day, going home, being glad I wasn't being crucified anymore for a few hours and then going to bed so I could do it all again.

I'd rather be unemployed than do that garbage for 7 bucks an hour.
So how do you live if you havent worked for 5 years?

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
Been unemployed for two years and dont really have the desire to go back to work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2 years, but I live within my means off of loans. So having job doesn't really matter beyond something for resume.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I was unemployed a few years ago for quite some time. Actually I was laid off and then I got kind of weird all over again and didn't want anything to do with the real world. I remember being really bored, lonely and miserable. I lived with my mom and she didn't fully understand my disorder so it was complicated living with her but I appreciated her taking me in and putting a roof over my head. I was going through a lot and I was completely lost but I knew I wasn't ready to be out in the working world. I just remember sleeping alot, spent alot of time on the computer, watched alot of tv and I babysat for my sisters. That's really all I remember doing. Looking back now, I wish I had been employeed but I also know in my heart that I needed that time to heal and to soul search so I couldn't change anything about it even if I wanted to.

Words of advice: I put on a lot of weight from sitting on my a** all the time so try to stay busy and be constructive. Also, I noticed the more I stayed at home and avoided people the more I feared going out and doing anything at all so try and be as social as you can. If you have the resources, get a job while you can.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What type of positions are there in non profits? How do you get training?
It is basically administrative support work. I started out as the Assistant to the President and was promoted to run their Awards Program. However that employee decided to stay at the last minute :roll so I ended up supporting the Director of Finance with budgets and expenses. Eventually I ended up serving as a sort of Event Coordinator/Assistant. Could be terrible or ok on SA depending on your boss. My boss wanted everyone to be out there and so it ended up not working out for me.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Without a job for over 20 months now, although my previous $95-a-week gig barely counts. I was dumb enough to have a mental breakdown and quit that job right before this economy situation, so I don't even collect unemployment. I'm at my parents' house "living" off of desperate eBay auctions and old birthday cash.

After suffering two of the most botched job interview experiences in the history of mankind, I haven't been applying regularly either. I spend my days online, stewing in envy and avoiding anything resembling a life. My daily routine is like a bad parody of the last days of every profile on CrimeLibrary.com. It's lookin' bleak.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts