Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not big on medication and really don't know much about medicine for S.A. heck I've never even been to a therapist becaues I'm too scared to, or don't want to ask my parents in fear of being judged by them. It seems like most people are on something one way or another. Do any of you take the natural route?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feel the same as you about my parents, I can't bring myself to ask them to take me for help.
I'm not taking any medication currently either :)

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I tried therapy - it didn't take. I've been on different medications and none of them ever did anything for me. I didn't even get their side effects let alone their benefits. It was like I wasn't even taking them.

I'm not interested in therapy again and while I know there are more hardcore medications that would surely have an effect, I don't really want to subject myself to them.

So, you could say I'm taking the "natural route".

I would still recommend telling your parents and giving strong consideration to the therapy/meds route because it seems to work for many people (at least from what I read on these forums).

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I'm not taking anything either, and I never did (meds scare me :afr). Maybe you could try finding a book about SA? They can give you lots of info about it (and meds aren't the only way to go).

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I haven't tried any meds, but I'm strongly considering it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not on meds because I can't go to the doctor alone and have no one to take me. But I do find it kind of off-putting that everyone on here is always talking about how their meds don't work. What's up with that?

·
Shauna The Dead
6,389 Posts
And every day on tv there's a new lawsuit over some medication that doctors told everyone was "safe" yet now is causing all sorts of bad life threatening problems. I'll just live with my anxiety instead of dying from cancer or having my liver eaten away by some crappy drug.

·
Control-Alt-Delete Me
43 Posts
I haven't told my parents either - not because I think they would judge me but because they have their own problems and I don't think they would understand the seriousness of SA. I also haven't been to a therapist and i'm not on any medication, however having no help at all is probably not the best way to overcome SA

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm not doing anything for it at the moment. I'm going to a new Dr. in a month though. I'm going to beg for Nardil or Parnate. I understand people not wanting to be on meds but I can't continue without trying something so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If everyone (or anyone) uses the logic, "meds don't work for me, therefore they are ineffective" then YES, they are ineffective, for me. And if a reader of the post find meds ineffective for them, and if they read my non-med advice and receives benefit from it, then awesome.

Please, don't get me wrong. I am not badmouthing meds or anyone on meds. They did assist me with confidence at times in the beginning, by thinking I'm on a prescribed med so I should feel better. If that alters your way of thinking and provides you relief, that's awesome. Just consider not having meds be the only treatment method you use for better long term results as described in my previous post. My doc always said from the beginning, "you should do therapy while you're on the meds". I always blew him off thinking, "naww, meds are my answer dude". Now I know why he said that and now I wish I listened.

I post about my experiences, and if others can relate then perhaps they can use my more recent experiences to find more relief for themselves. I'm here to help by example. Meds for me, similar to Shauna, gave me more problems than benefits. The meds delayed me doing something about the problem (my automatic thought process) which led to secondary disorders, like agoraphobia, claustrophobia, emetophobia other physical pains. These were unnecessary if I treated what was causing my SA, my thoughts, and not by taking meds alone without also addressing my thought processes simultaneously. Now, I'm sort of stuck. I can't rely on meds because they are ineffective for me, I have to do the CBT (which 'for me' is helpful beyond words) but I have to do it without benefit of meds being effective which would have been the case if I did CBT in the beginning when meds were effective.

If you disagree that's OK, perhaps my example doesn't work for you, or perhaps you still fear the non-med methods moreso than you fear having SA. I was there and felt that way for a long time. Now, since for me the meds didn't work after a short while, and I couldn't convince myself anymore that they were effective when they were not, I finally feared my SA moreso than I fear non-med methods to overcome (cope) with it.

I say this positively, and not negatively: I would like to challenge anyone with something to say that is adverse to a post, to leave a reply this is longer than 1 sentence, and to back up their posts with legitimate experience. That is the purpose of the forum. If meds are the answer for you, explain how so and why, then someone who is on meds may be able to benefit from your experience if they cannot benefit from mine.

Who knows, may be in 9 years someone else will remember this post and try CBT if they find themselves in a similar situation I'm in at that time if they are not in that situation right now. If so, I'm glad to have left it so someone can benefit from it later.
Just curious are you suggesting CBT must be done while not on meds?

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I don't take anything. Meds would have probably been a big help for me about 5 years ago. In the past 3 years I've made a lot of progress on my own, though.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Thanks Tony. I'm still very anxious at times, but I've gotten much better at not letting it limit me in life.

·
Banned
642 Posts
@Tony

I don't doubt some folks need CBT but in all honesty how can any sort of therapy be overtly beneficial. We are biological creatures, you can't just "will" yourself towards being social. No doubt, CBT maybe able to teach you social skills but most folks on here don't want to "Act" the part they litterally want to "feel" the part. Personally I believe CBT teaches you how to make the best of your shortcomings......

However, you seem adminent about therapy. How exactly is it supposed to work?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't, i've weighed the pros and cons and it aint worth it so i stick to the natural route meaning seeing a counsellor.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts