Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who don't have a job, how do you support yourself? Parents, benefits? Recently, I have been uncharacteristically docile and mute, even among "friends". My SA is so crippling right now to the point where thinking of interviews almost causes blushing. Fortunately, I'm 19, so it's expected that I depend on parents while I complete my education. It terrifies me to think at 30 years old I might still be bunking at mama's house. I can not respect myself and continue to be jobless.

·
Renewed Hope
354 Posts
need job too. I'm trying to join the Army, but there are complications.... I will be homeless before I stay another unneccesary minute with my parents. Interviews are not too hard, I just fake the confidence until it's over.

·
calm
264 Posts
need job too. I'm trying to join the Army, but there are complications.... I will be homeless before I stay another unneccesary minute with my parents. Interviews are not too hard, I just fake the confidence until it's over.
yeah thats what i did, i got the job and later own they had to get kown my real self, what a mess and dissapointment I have to be for them.
This is kinda bad suprise.

Wouldnt recommend it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been without a job for a year. I cannot bring myself to get out there and look for one. The idea of having one makes me anxious. I hate being financially dependent on my mom, but I use the excuse that I'm also in school. Altogether it makes me feel bad about myself.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
I don't

I don't have a job, never have had a job and I don't go to college and most likely never will do that either.
Right now I get SSI and live at home.

:um

·
Registered
289 Posts
With me it's different. My parents have a second job at night and I go with them to help so they say that's me doing my part. But it doesn't feel like a real job the money isn't actually going into my hands. They give me something whether it's money or whatever if I ask but it's not the same. And I go school everyday so I don't know how I would get a real job anyway. I worry about that too being old and never having had a job and still living at home. The prospect of a real job terrifies me though.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I can't even leave the flat alone, so holding down a job for me would be pretty darn impossible.

I live with my fiance, who has a student loan and overdraft, alongside benefits which will be coming shortly.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Unemployed for over a year. Being a college dropout with fewer saleable job skills than a trained monkey hasn't helped, surely. Applied to a ridiculous amount of jobs in 2008, and the endless rejections sunk me into a deep depression that I'm still struggling with. I'm also afraid my next job will be as hellish as the last one I had, which drove me to insanity in 11 months' time. Need to get back to applying, but it's impossible to get motivated when I'm inadequate to begin with in times so rough.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't have a job and never really did besides working at my Grandpa's farm sometimes when I was younger and for the last 3 years I've worked as an usher or ticket taker in the grandstand at our county fair, so only one week a year. Oh, I also did work-study my last year in college as a lab tech. I still live with my parents and have no prospects. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life.

·
SAS Member since 6/2/01
260 Posts
I don't have a job and I live with a parent. I can't work cause I don't function normally.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've literally done nothing in the 14 years since college graduation. I live with my elderly mother (father is dead) and she pays all the bills. They only thing I pay out of my pile of money is income taxes. Despite the severe bear market, I'm still a millionaire (just barely) though I used to have about $200,000 more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I never had an actual job until last year and I quit after a little more than 2 months. I'm in college with no real direction either. I don't know what I'll do if I ever graduate.

·
Remarkable
1,043 Posts
I had a job for 11 years that was pretty much perfect for my SA situation. When I knew that was coming to an end, I realized I would probably not have another for a long time, if ever. That was > 4 years ago. I saved a lot of money from working 7 days a week and 55+ hours. I also took unemployment until it was exhausted ( my living expenses were <50% of unemployment income, so I was still saving money 6 months after job loss).

I have around 2-3 ( depending on how I categorize them, a lot of overlap though I usually use 3 Schedule Cs) small businesses. Combined I earn probably a little less than someone working part time at McDonalds. I also have been going to school on/off for 12 years and maxing out student loans and 6 figures in business loans. I have had business refused because of my SA, and I don't just mean sales for my business. People have refused to take my money because of SA.

I get by because of creative debt management, short term bursts of business income, temporary insanity of Google, and generosity of in-laws. What keeps me going is the prospect of either hitting big on a few of my few hundred business ideas or training myself to be an actor and find a "real" job that I can act through.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a job for 11 years that was pretty much perfect for my SA situation. When I knew that was coming to an end, I realized I would probably not have another for a long time, if ever. That was > 4 years ago. I saved a lot of money from working 7 days a week and 55+ hours. I also took unemployment until it was exhausted ( my living expenses were <50% of unemployment income, so I was still saving money 6 months after job loss).

I have around 2-3 ( depending on how I categorize them, a lot of overlap though I usually use 3 Schedule Cs) small businesses. Combined I earn probably a little less than someone working part time at McDonalds. I also have been going to school on/off for 12 years and maxing out student loans and 6 figures in business loans. I have had business refused because of my SA, and I don't just mean sales for my business. People have refused to take my money because of SA.

I get by because of creative debt management, short term bursts of business income, temporary insanity of Google, and generosity of in-laws. What keeps me going is the prospect of either hitting big on a few of my few hundred business ideas or training myself to be an actor and find a "real" job that I can act through.
If you don't mind my asking, what job was perfect for SA for 11 years? Just curious.

I'm looking for a job but in this economy I'm not looking too hard because I think it's unrealistic to think I'll find one. There's just not enough jobs for all the applicants right now. I'll probably take some more accounting classes to complete a second bachelors and do a career change. (I get unemployment. With all the extensions right now- it lasts a full year.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Polythene - I was the same way...when I was working, I seemed to be able to manage the anxiety better.

I have not worked since March of 2006...the last job was at Victoria's Secret processing merchandise. I came in every morning before the mall opened, I knew exactly who I was working with- the same 3 people, I rarely had to go out into the store, just took stuff out of boxes and put tags on it and hung it up...didn't really have to interact with anyone. When it was time to go, I was able to leave out the back door, so it was great not having to deal with crowds. I quit that job because I had pneumonia and it wouldn't go away (and i was pregnant). I started with a leave of abscense and then just never went back. I'm in graduate school for administration, so i plan to sit behind a desk and do paperwork all day and not have to deal with people. :clap

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had a job for 13 years that I would've kept forever, but they lost some funding, and I lost my job. I was on unemployment for a year, then finally got a job only because it didn't really have an interview. The lady said she'd watched me for years walking around with a kid on my back, and she apparently was so thrilled to meet me, she forgot to do the interview! That was as a substitute teacher's aide, but the hours were irregular, and my daycare costs were greater than my pay. My son got hurt, and I had to leave for awhile, and they had to fill my position while I was gone. Right now I'm getting survivor's benefits because I have young kids and their father died. I'm best off when I'm working because I'm forced to go out and do things in spite of my SA every day, and also it's a social life for me. I usually get fairly comfortable after six months to a year, but interviews and starting a job are so hellish, it's hard to get motivated to deal with that kind of fear even though ultimately I know I'd feel a lot better about myself. :O(

·
Registered
606 Posts
I worked as a delivery driver for six years which was good because I got to be out on the road a lot and not interacting with people. Then that place went under and I got a job at safeway as a checker for a few years. That was a nightmare, but I kept going with it as long as I could because the money was good then and I was hoping that if I stuck with it long enough, my SA would go away. That didn't happen. I got threatened with termination for attitude problems and not being a team player and decided to just quit. I haven't worked steadily for three years and I'm applying for disablility. I was homeless for about two years. My parents have recently been helping to support me through the waiting period to see if I get disability. I don't really see myself getting another job any time soon. Can't really function in that capacity anymore. I've been learning as much as I can about trading stocks and currencies for about ten years and have become quite adept at making nice profits on practice accounts, so I'm hoping that when and if I get the initial check from disability, which will be around forty thousand, I'll be able start a real account and use that to make some kind of future for myself, albeit a lonely, empty, lifeless one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts