Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else call their temp agencies every week? What are you supposed to say when you call them?

For me, it never ends up good; they're always very rude, as if they're annoyed they have to put up with someone like me. I stutter my way through "I'm just ccal.. or checkchecking in to see if anything's new.. or uh any new job's availblelble". :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was calling weekly but sensed they were getting irritated because of the economy. They don't have jobs so they kind of acted like, "Why are you calling?" I didn't call for at least 3 weeks and when I called again they were very friendly. If they had lots of jobs I guess I would call daily but I doubt that will be happening soon.

·
Registered
867 Posts
i did call one and they said i had a good work record with them and to call in a week for assignments. then i called in a week, and they seem to not be very nice sounding and told me they didn't have any assignments. Then i called a few weeks later and they said they got no assignments and thats the end of that.
"i said something like the previous representative i called told me to call back and check for any assignments in a week and thats why im calling"

i think the unfriendlyness is a result of no jobs and so many people calling in for work.

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
when i used temp agency i was called within a day, when they got me a position to fill. than after that position was done, i was on wait again, so i waited. when i didn't hear from them i emailed my contact and asked, a few times i even called. not sure how long i would wait. this was a two years ago, and i just stopped using temp agencies.

·
Registered
257 Posts
They're useless now that the economy is shot---at least here. They have big signs posted "NO JOBS" on the website and their front door.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've read you're supposed to keep calling them up and that jobs go to people who are fresh in their mind. You could ask if they've had any new vacancies in since you last called or say you're just updating them that you're still looking for work or just keeping in contact. Normally you're given your own consultant so you could ask for them by name (they're usually "on the phone" so you leave a message or talk to the person answering).
I find once they've got your details if they're going to give you something they will call you. It's easier if you have one job with them and that is ending. When I thought they wouldn't find me anything I rang round several agencies. New agencies will expect you to explain your experience if you enquire e.g. typing, IT skills.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ugh, I called every week for three months. A few weeks ago I stopped calling and found my own job, which I felt was a great accomplishment in itself. That ***** was only using me as a temp when her other temps flaked on her. I've tried 4 temp agencies in the past and none of them worked for me.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Temp agencies are a joke, in my opinion. I have had experiences with them, and they lie about the job, like they don't know all of what it entails.

·
mind
22 Posts
man... i find it too hard to even pick up the phone and do it... ive done it before and they placed me in a horrid place after that i found it was better to do my own job hunting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts