Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Who are you more comfortable with: Males or Females?

• I'm female; more comfortable with other females

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • I'm female; more comfortable with males

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • I'm female; equally (un)comfortable with both

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I'm male; more comfortable with other males

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • I'm male; more comfortable with females

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I'm male; equally (un)comfortable with both

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • I'm confused

Votes: 4 3.4%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who are you more comfortable with: Males or Females? (applies to any social setting - your overall comfort level)

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I feel much more comfortable around men. When I'm around other women, I feel really insecure and anxious because I constantly compare myself to them, and always come up short and feeling like a loser. Men seem to appreciate me the way I am, and enjoy my company, whereas women tend to act *****y and shut me out.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I feel much more comfortable around men. When I'm around other women, I feel really insecure and anxious because I constantly compare myself to them, and always come up short and feeling like a loser. Men seem to appreciate me the way I am, and enjoy my company, whereas women tend to act *****y and shut me out.
The same. Except switch the genders around. I find myself comparing myself to other males (usually unfavourably). And unless it's a woman I find at all attractive, then I become even more socially debilitated. Yay me.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Generally I'm equally uncomfortable with both. If I'm attracted to them in some way, then I just get more uncomfortable. If they're older than me, then I'm usually more comfortable than usual around them.

·
Banned
850 Posts
males for sure but ive had alot of male friends and uh friendships with other men kinda bore me. at this stage of my life id much rather learn to be comfortable and spend alot of my time with females.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Overall, I'd say I'm equally (un)comfortable with both, though I seem to have an easier time forming close friendships with women than with men.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a few close female friends...but I find men easier to become friends with. I'm a tomboy so I usually have more in common with them and I find some women to be too prissy/gossipy. Having said that...I've avoided making friends for awhile now...so I'll say I'm confused or uncomfortable with both.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Males. I can't keep a conversation going with a female. I talk about the weather and all that small talk but can ever get to a deeper level. I guess i just have more in common with males.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Females

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Very basic levels of interaction (sitting next to someone on a bus): Female

Acquiantance (someone I might say hi to when I see them): Male

Friend (someone I might go to a movie with): Female

Close friend (Someone I share personal things with): Male

I know that sounds ridiculously complicated and weird, but it basically boils down to two things. One, I am really bad at dealing with girl drama so I'm not usually super close with girls or small talk with them where I might say the wrong thing. Two, in situations where men and women usually flirt/smile at each other/all that I feel really awkward around guys, so I feel best in the friend zone with them where I don't have to think about that.

I know that's really convoluted, but there you go.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
it still depends a lot on other aspects of the person but overall i tend to feel more comfortable with males.
i'm guessing because of similar reasons that MaidMarian mentioned.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I'm female. Males are more likely to talk to me, and when they do, I think conversations with them generally feel a little less awkward than with females. All of my few friends are male, but I think that's more about their willingness to talk to me than how comfortable *I* felt with them. A lot of women do make me feel especially uncomfortable, but so do a lot of men . . . so I don't really know.

I do think that men I like a lot (as people) are strangely kind of less intimidating than women I like a lot, in that I feel less like I am not "good enough" to talk to them.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I voted that I'm more comfortable with males because I very rarely feel any physical attraction for men. I often feel attracted to women which makes me very uncomfortable and self-conscious around them.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I'm a female who is by far more comfortable with males. I don't really know why, just the way it is.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I used to feel more comfortable around other females, but, depending on the people concerned, tend to prefer talking to men now as it's easier to have a proper conversation with them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts