Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Which type of snob is the most annoying?

• Movie snobs

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Video game snobs

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Music snobs

Votes: 62 62.6%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are three options here.

Movie snob - Movie snobs believe that their opinion, or the opinion of a select few, are all that matters. Movie snobs actually believe that whether or not someone liked a movie is a reasonable way to judge their intelligence. They love foreign films and go out of their way to talk about them

How to spot a movie snob - will refer to movies as "cinema." Loves foreign films.

Video game snobs - In the sad world of video game snobs, video games are all that matters. They play only a select type of game or genre, and ridicule those who play another genre. They religiously follow Nintendo, Sony or Playstation. They believe that their company is the only one that makes good games. They want to win at all costs - and become infuriated when they lose. In online play, they will scream in your hear if you do something they don't like.

How to spot a video game snob - religiously follow a certain 'online code of gaming.' Are a member, or pretend to be a member of MLG (major league gaming). Shout, pout online

Music snob - Music snobs religiously follow certain genres, and ridicule those who prefer other genres. They only like a select number of bands. If you do not like those bands, they will ridicule you. They will ridicule you if you like a band they view unfavorably.

How to spot a music snob - uses the term "artist" and "musician" consistently. Often refers to bands music as their "work/works." Will yell at you for liking a certain band/genre.

All of these snobs are annoying, and chances are you fit into one of them. I for example, used to be a huge video game snob. I've recovered thankfully, and have seen the error in my ways.

It came down to movie and video game snobs for me, but I went with movie snobs.

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
I hate the kind of snob that condemns others for being passionate about their hobbies, and is so self righteous that they refuse to acknowledge the irony in what they're saying.

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate the kind of snob that condemns others for being passionate about their hobbies, and is so self righteous that they refuse to acknowledge the irony in what they're saying.
Not passionate no.....as long as you're not screaming into my ear or telling me what to like/dislike, I'm fine with it.

To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that people that love foreign films are automatically movie snobs - but I have observed that many are, so it's something to look out for.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
I voted 'movie snobs'.

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
Not passionate no.....as long as you're not screaming into my ear or telling me what to like/dislike, I'm fine with it.

To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that people that love foreign films are automatically movie snobs - but I have observed that many are, so it's something to look out for.
Haha okay. I'll say movie snobs. Because I'm a music snob and I don't know any video game snobs so I guess that's the only option.

·
SAS Member
2,774 Posts
They're all terrible. I haven't come across movie snobs much because I don't really watch many films, so they're not a frequent topic of discussion for me.

Video game snobs, well, you only need loook at www.nma-fallout.com. Absolutely frothing-at-the-mouth-rabid-rpg-nerds.

Music snobs are the worst. Especially those idiots for whom anything "mainstream" is unlistenable. All genres of music have them. Worst of the lot are the new-indie morons. The kind that read pitchfork.com.

Snobbery can be great, but it's silly for tastes in music, films or videogames. Especially when you're a fan of films in languages you can't even understand or music that is impossible to listen to (see indie).

·
Registered
243 Posts
I met someone who was a movie snob. He was the most knowledgeable guy about them, so we asked what he thought of one before going to the cinema. Guess what was his response? "I only care about movies which got 80%+ from the critics at RottenTomatoes". :mum

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Probably music snobs, just because music 'scene's' seem to become too rigid after awhile, where a fan will condemn a band for trying something a little different or more experimental.

Also because there are so many good music genres out there that it seems a shame to confine yourself to just one and ignore the others.

And lastly, because some of my favourite bands/albums have been ones that have fused 2 or 3 different genres together and it usually mixes well and creates a new and interesting sound.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I say film snobs. Don't get me wrong I do watch artsy fartsy films when I can but I do enjoy the mainstream stuff that also comes out. It's just when you get people turning their noses up completely at it because it's had too much money spent on it or because it's not 80 years old etc.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Movie snobs - but a cinema is called a cinema in england, what is it called in america?

·
Custom User Title
648 Posts
reactionary snobs. the kind of snobs who are so against other snobs they end up hating anything non-mainstream.
Yes, ****ing can't stand people like that. They make me feel snobby and I hate that.

I really can't stand any kind of snob because they really don't contribute anything worthwhile to their cause. But the most relevant kind of snob that I hate would be music snobs since I'm a music major and my department is full of them. You also forgot about visual art snob, they can be really awful. But music snobs are awful, especially the ones I'm surrounded by because all they do is spout out nonsense about how jazz is superior to any other genre. I can't stand that crap. But I can be kind of snobby about the music I listen to myself when I'm around people who don't know much about music and get kind of infuriated when people think they know about it and they get it all wrong, but that legitimate. And I don't think I'm superior to them because they know think about other fields that I have no ****in clue about. But yeah, I can't stand snob. They're useless and do nothing.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Movie... sorry "cinema" snobs are the worst, because all they watch is horrible "art" movies in French and they're typically involved in other art-related stupidity.

Also, I'm a proud music and game snob. I don't discriminate against genres/etc and I'm not a fanboy of anything though, so maybe most people wouldn't consider me one.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
In defence of cultural snobbery:

I think you are defining all these kinds of snobbery in a somewhat narrow manner.

Personally I could fit into all those categories if you removed your strange insistence on "snobs" using bourgeiose lexicon (transposing cinema for film etc) and "ridiculing" anyone who disagrees with their opinon.

In terms of films, I think a lot of "foreign" (by which I mean, non-english-language, bit of US-centric snobbery on your part there?) films are vastly superior to the mass marketed US excrement....Chipmunks in Space - now that sounds like a film with great character development. Pan's Labyrinth, El Oprhanto, Die Welle, Låt den rätte komma in are amongst my favourite films..I also really love some old films like the Hitchcock stuff. Also, I think Inception was in many ways, a bit rubbish and could of been loads better if it hadn't been so reliant on special effects and big name actors.

Having said that, I have plenty of brainless action films I enjoy as well - I love the first and third underworld films, I thought Blade was pretty good, and I even derived reasonable entertainment from Ninja Assassin, which whilst slated by critics and those you define as film slobs, I think delivered exactly what it was promising - people having their limbs cut off with samurai swords and general aestheticised violence - rubbish acting, but that was never the point.

Can I say I am a film snob then? Apparently not by your definition, since I have broad taste and don't really care what other people watch...but then I like "foreign" and old films, and I do think you can tell something about a person by the kind of films they like.

Videogames: Well I used to have an Xbox and play PC games a lot. As a PC-gamer I did tend to look down on console's with their over-priced games with poor graphics and inadequate controllers (one can put a cross hair over a zombie's head infinitely faster with a mouse than a gamepad) - and lack of strategy games. I also always thought film->videogame conversions were homogenous commercial crap. Maybes I was a videogame snob too then, but again you define it too narrowly.

As for music: I'm sorry, but pop and rap (essentialy a subgenre of pop these days) are just mass-produced base [expletive]...eugh, I had some pop artist come up on a spotify advert the other day - sounded like a dog swallowing calpol. On those occassions I go clubbing with people with mainstream taste I hear the same awful songs at club after club - Kings of Leon's "Sex on Fire"; Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance"' David Guetta's "Sexy *****"...I'm sorry but if you listen to this stuff on your mp3 player for genuine entertainment then you have awful taste.

That said, people like what they like, pop is by definition popular, so as long as I don't have to talk about music with those partial to katy perry or eminem I don't care what they listen to, people listen to music they enjoy...some of it is just rubbish...but hey, each to their own.

Because of this, I can't really vote on your poll because you seem to have some personal issues with people who don't like mainstream entertainment and have characterised them in such a narrow, negative light I couldn't say I have encountered anyone who really matches any of your categories - and I'm not sure whether I and my friends fit into them or not, because we do not ridicule others or anything like you suggest are the traits of those outside the mainstream...but maybe we do not need to deride people, I get the impression you are just saying those things because you don't like people with different taste and what you actually mean is anyone who doesn't like whatever is on the charts.

·
Custom User Title
648 Posts
In defence of cultural snobbery:

I think you are defining all these kinds of snobbery in a somewhat narrow manner.

[look above for the rest of the post, no sense in wasting space]
I get what you mean. It's really annoying when people only listen to mainstream and put down art movies because they don't understand, but I don't feel like it helps when people feel superior to others because of it. I think it's way more constructive to be inclusive and show and talk to people about it instead of excluding them and talking down. That's why people get annoyed and you have people dissing art movies and such. But seriously, there is some great rap out there that isn't mainstream. It isn't just another subgenre of pop, only the ****ty stuff like Lil' Wayne. But like try Immortal Technique, MF DOOM, **** like that is awesome, though it might not be your style, but it's objectively good rap.

The only time snobbery is OK is when you have to deal with close-minded people, then snob it up.

·
Powering through.
1,799 Posts
Objectively good rap. :teeth

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
snob.

only joking.

·
Custom User Title
648 Posts
Objectively good rap. :teeth
There is, though. There's a lot more than people realise about rap that makes it good. Rappers use a lot of complex metre and put words together at amazing speeds. It really takes skill and creativity to be able to think on your feet like that.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts