Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Failure's Art
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a concept in psychology & sociology illustrating the hierarchy of human motivations. It details the stages of needs that people face, from their most basic (i.e. food and water) all the way up to complete and total fulfillment. Generally it is assumed that a lower level in the hierarchy must be completely fulfilled in order for the individual to move on to the next level.

So where are you on this hierarchy and where do you want to be?

I'm basically stuck on the 2nd level. I think the 3rd level is probably unobtainable for me. Though, since I'm a loner, maybe I can skip that level and try to move on to the next one. But I guess I do desire some degree of "belongingness" so I guess I'll never satisfy anything but my most basic needs. At this point I'm just happy I have a roof over my head. Who knows if I always will.

·
alien monk
8,555 Posts
I dont think they need to be completely filled, I dont think I could ever take it that way, it's just a rough guide/theory.

I'm never going to have reproduction either lol. I have way more safety than a human 3000 years ago had and I assume there was self-actualization back then also. materially anyway. immaterially, safety isnt actually that good, feeling anxious before work paralyses me for a good 2 hours to go do 4 hours work.

friendship is at maybe 20%, family is at -5%, intimacy is at 1%. sense of connection? idk what that means. social connection? basically 5%, cant find a gf (INCEL!😱. actually just CEL since I have at least 2 options).

I have self-esteem but zero recognition or status. my status is honky cracker white trash 😄 (I started to have a thing for racist insults as jokes, bear with me).

freedom is low due to anxiety, addiction to screen time and digital media (which is the trap that has been set for me). though I'm free to go my own way ideologically, I can help but think digital media is influencing me in directions I wouldn't otherwise go.

its naive to think that non-safety isnt a part of self-actualization. theres something about having something to work against. though without much success it's not so good.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,408 Posts
Just below love and belonging. Though, I think I'll always struggle with relationships somehow. It's hard to divorce the physical symptoms of anxiety with the existential ones of "do I belong and if so, where?" I'd probably be happier if i didnt desire or just didnt care what I say to anyone. As it should be not caring in a way. Idk.. if you ask me on a bad day, I'd probably say it wouldn't matter all these needs cuz one feels crap.

·
SUS Member
10,742 Posts
I don't really see this as a "life stages" thing, where you're stuck at a particular level until you solve the problems associated with that level. Maslow never intended it to be interpreted that way, either. It's more that, when making a decision, people tend to satisfy needs lower in the hierarchy before they satisfy needs higher in the hierarchy. Most people will go to work at their dead-end job instead of staying home and actualizing themselves in their art because they need to put food on the table. But once they're home from work, they're free to pursue other things, including self-actualization.

So, on any given day, in any given moment, people are constantly moving up and down that hierarchy. The stuff lower in the hierarchy tends to take priority, but most people are going all the way to the top of that hierarchy at least some of the time. So, at best, the "stage" that you're on reflects the area where you have to put most of your focus on a typical day. Ofc, if you happen to be very successful, you can afford to spend a lot more time at the top than other people.

I spend a lot of time worrying about how I'm going to avoid being homeless, and how I'm going to afford things like healthcare and clothing, which puts me at the bottom 2 stages of the list, but I spend as much time at the top of the list trying to actualize my potential, since I really see no other way to solve the kinds of problems I have. Either I have something to offer the world, which I am uniquely qualified to offer, and I will be able to support myself by tapping into that potential, or I don't, and I will die in a gutter. There's no in between for me. I've had to cut out a lot of the stuff in the middle so I have more time to spend at the top. I would love to be able to spend more time talking to my friends, but I don't have that luxury.

·
Loathed Loiterer
8,144 Posts
Just working to sustain Level 2 for the most part. I use to be in Level 3, but has since fallen off of it ever since I made a decision in what I thought was the right thing years ago (my lifelong theme of every decision I make having consequences). At this point, I don't see myself every going into Level 3 again, nor do I have the energy and motivation to.

But incessant outside expectations have been constantly pressuring me to reach Upper Level 4 and Level 5 asap, to the point of being a constant threat to me falling down to Level 1.

Also the fact that reproduction is in Level 1 instead of Level 3, I guess Abraham Maslow was underestimating how socially pathetic some of us are.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Up until about a month ago I was at level 3 (love and belonging). Now I’ve been knocked back down to 2 since I started coughing and having pain in my right lung. That stuff takes precedent, although I still struggle with lack of connection which is level 3.

·
bipolar
16,988 Posts
I'm probably around the love and belonging area - but have a few of the "Esteem" characteristics on a good day. (and depending on your perspective)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts