Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Which sense would you least like to lose?

• Hearing

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Sight

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Smell

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Taste

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Touch

Votes: 4 7.7%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
10,771 Posts
I wouldn't like losing my hearing, because I like to listen to music.

· Après moi, le déluge
5,700 Posts
I voted Sight, but now that I think about it, I bet loss of Touch would be the worst. It would be dangerous. You could accidentally hurt yourself very seriously and not even notice. I know I freaked out the one time I had Novocaine at the dentist.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

· going hazy
8,723 Posts
Vision would definitely be the worst. I'd probably give up completely if I suddenly became blind; that would just be horrid.

And yeah, touch would probably be the next on that list. On Maury (heh) I saw someone that was born with a disorder in which they can't feel any type of pain or feeling, and they were always getting injured, burned, cut, etc. You would need constant medical attention if you were unable to feel any type of feeling at all. Not to mention you wouldn't be able to feel any kind of... uh... pleasure. =P

· (.*?)
10,189 Posts
Sight, because trying to use the internet with a screen reader would be insanely frustrating (and there is no life beyond the internet).

· Banned
3,608 Posts
Sight. I can't stand the thought of needing someone to help me get to places. Hard enough as it is. Plus I need to watch anime.

But the thought of losing touch is scary too, I've seen medical shows on the issue and it honestly scared me.

· Protector of the Den
15,328 Posts
I picked sight. It would be a shame to not be able to enjoy the beauty of this world. With the loss of sight I would need to relearn how to get around. For some things I would probably become dependent on other people.

Hearing - I don't have many people to talk to anyway. I could always use subtitles on movies, etc. I would be limited in who I could talk to, but I could learn sign language.
Taste - Would actually benefit me with dieting
Touch - I don't have anyone to touch. I would be happy losing the feelings of cold, pain, etc. Biggest downside is that I would need to be more careful not to hurt myself.
Smell - Has never been that important to me. There are some good smells, but there are also awful ones. On a daily basis, I notice the bad smells the most.

I not saying that it wouldn't be a shame to lose any of the senses

· unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
At my university, my course co-ordinator was blind. One of the students on my course was blind. We even had a blind Home Secretary - David Blunkett. I think loss of hearing would be worse for me than loss of sight, because I couldn't stand to lose verbal communication.

I bet loss of Touch would be the worst. It would be dangerous. You could accidentally hurt yourself very seriously and not even notice.
I think Kelly's right there. I didn't really consider losing my sense of touch because you never hear about it happening, but I think this is the most likely to be deadly. Don't people with leprosy lose sensation, and end up disfigured because of it? And wasn't there and Indian child who felt no pain, and died jumping off a house because he knew it wouldn't hurt, and wanted to show off?

*goes to look it up*

Edit: Here it is He did die in a fall, though I can't find any more information about it.

· Registered
14,634 Posts
I dont think I can answer this question. Its nothing I really want to speculate on anyway...but even more so, having been blessed with these senses its impossible for me to imagine what its like not to have any of them.

· Banned
177,635 Posts
Sight, hearing came in a close 2nd.

· SAS Member
31,308 Posts
I remember that show Testees on FX did an episode where they lost their sense of pain, which I guess would be the same as touch. They did a lot of examples of what can happen, hehe. It's a pretty funny show if anyone ever looks it up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.