Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these meds are better for anxiety. Klonopin or xanax? I am on 1mg twice a day of klonopin and still have a lot of anxiety. I take my klonopin at night could that be why? Should I take 1mg in the morning and 1mg at night? I just don't know what I am doing...........:afr Any suggestions please.........:yes

Thanks,
Angel

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
If you have SA I strongly suggest taking any benzo, whatever it may be, any time other than when you go to bed. The only reason to take it at night is if you happen to be awake at night.

Assuming you sleep at night, SA isn't a likely problem at night as you're not likely to encounter social situations while asleep.

And there isn't a "better" one. It's a matter of personal response and personal preference, so different people will have different better ones for them.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
Like UltraShy said the best times would be throughout the day.It will keep a steady amount of the drug in your system when you need it most;during the waking hours when dealing with life and others.Taking it before bed is essentially using it as a sleep aid.There are other ways to help with that.I take mine inthe morning before work and later in the afternoon.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Does 1mg of Klonopin = 1mg of Xanax?
Depends on who you ask.

BradPit posted two charts above and you'll see that they disagree with one saying Klonopin is twice as potent as Xanax and the other saying they are 1 to 1. I've used both benzos extensively and I'd say 1 to 1 sounds much more realistic to me based on experience. I'd say the vast majority of benzo equivalency charts overstate the potency of Klonopin. (I've also used Ativan & Valium in the past.)

can someone give me a comparison between the two?
Sure. Benzos differ mainly in how fast they take effect and how long that effect lasts.

-Xanax: takes effect more rapidly, but doesn't last as long.

-Klonopin: takes effect not as rapidly, but the effect lasts longer.

Due to these differences, Xanax may be better suited to PRN (as-needed) use where you need something to get you through a speech. No need for long effect there and you'd probably like a rapid response for PRN use. Now if you're nervous 24/7 perhaps you'd prefer something that lasts a long time if you're forced to used benzos on a constant basis (which few doctors want their patients to do).

I'm an oddity and take 10 mg of Xanax daily -- that's 5 pills @ 2mg each (largest size made).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts