Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Which meds work best for your SAD or SAD/depression?

• Only have SAD (no major depression)-benzos work best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only have SAD (no major depression)-SSRIs work best

• Have SAD and depression-SSRIs work best

• Only have SAD (no major depression)-no difference between benzos and SSRIs

• Have SAD and depression-no difference between benzos and SSRIs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
The only one that I have ever been on is Prozac...Sometimes it worked well and sometimes it didn't.....To be honest, I don't try and get better most of the time.....The Prozac isn't going to fix my life for me if I don't work at getting better: exercising, adopting a healthy lifestyle, staying away from alcohol, getting out of the house etc....

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
SSRIs are useless to me. They don't help at all, but they act as anti-orgasm pills.

Benzos help a little.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I've never tried benzos so I can't really say what works the best, but I have SAD and depression and SSRIs work fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been on Prozac, Paxil and Wellbutrin. I think those are SSRIs, I'm not sure what a benzo is. They seemed to help with the depression somewhat but none of them helped my anxiety at all. I don't take anything at all right now but I probably should get back on something. I'm too scared to call the doctor though!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
scaredycat said:
I have been on Prozac, Paxil and Wellbutrin. I think those are SSRIs, I'm not sure what a benzo is.
Prozac & Paxil are SSRIs. Other SSRIs would include Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, and Luvox.

Wellbutrin isn't an SSRI.

A benzo is a tranquilizer such as Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan (those are the four most common, but there are a bunch of others).

·
Registered
17 Posts
UltraShy said:
scaredycat said:
I have been on Prozac, Paxil and Wellbutrin. I think those are SSRIs, I'm not sure what a benzo is.
Prozac & Paxil are SSRIs. Other SSRIs would include Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, and Luvox.

Wellbutrin isn't an SSRI.

A benzo is a tranquilizer such as Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan (those are the four most common, but there are a bunch of others).
Oh ok, thanks. I guess I have taken Xanax but it was so long ago I can't remember what it did for me although I think I liked it. I forgot, I have also taken Luvox for OCD. It didn't help.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think benzo's work best for my SAD. I don't know how they would work for depression, I thought they could cause depression.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can't really answer that- I have depression and SA... and I take Effexor and Klonopin. I guess the benzo works best for the anxiety- but taking them both has helped me more overall than taking just one. :stu

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I didnt pick an answer. I usualy dont take Med's for anything, even colds lol. Im stubborn like that i guess. The non-med approach really helped me out bigtime. Knowing that i could beat SAD on my own is an awesome feeling. *take that, and that!!! and some more of that sad!!!*

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont have SAD, I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) ... and I also have Depression. I take Lexapro for my Depression and Anxiety and I also take 1mg of Klonopin currently as a "quick fix" for the anxiety. The Lex is great for the Depression but had to be increased recently to see if it will help more with the anxiety. Time will tell .....

If I dont have SA, some of you may wonder why I am here, on a SA site -- well, this site is great and has been VERY helpful about anxiety -- and the people here are just wonderful!!! Just thought I'd throw that in!!

·
Banned
384 Posts
Effexor and benzos (Although the fatigue I get from clonazepam is irritating, and lorazepam tampered with my short-term memory) followed by Paxil (when it actually worked for me) If I only had depression without SA my choice would be Remeron if I didn't mind the prospect of weight-gain.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have SAD and depression-SSRIs work best

·
Registered
74 Posts
ativan. all the antidepressants ive tried have never done much. Benzos work way better for me *shrugs*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts