Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been really shy for all my life but i have improved alot over the past years.
I just started uni and i would like to know what meds is appropriate for the following situations which i get really anxious:
-giving presentation (poster/powerpoint)
-working in groups- contributing ideas
-asking q's, participation in discussion (contributes to final report marks -_-)

Firstly, i have no idea what sort of drugs to look for and what amount/doses i may need to cope well

Basically if i can give a presentation without my heart racing during the day, no sweating, no shaking, voice trembling, no constant worrying of wat ppl will think abt me, and no signs of nervousness, and make it seem like it wasnt too hard for me, i would be able to live peacefully for the rest of my uni days lol

i'm currently living in australia, so not all meds would be available
i've considered some of the options i'm looking @ with my doctor this week:
-antidepressants (prozac)
-beta-blockers
-zoloft
-xanax

Please share any experience if you've been on any of these drugs, whether they worked perfectly for you and any other suggestion i should take

thanks!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Non-selective beta blockers like Inderal (Propranolol) might be good for you as Benzos as needed (eg. Xanax).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Non-selective beta blockers like Inderal (Propranolol) might be good for you as Benzos as needed (eg. Xanax).
can i get Inderal easily prescribed by the doctors or any other beta blockers?
have you had any personal experience with it?

I heard for Xanax, you need to have several visits with the doctors as well as seeing a psychologist.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Have you considered any cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to go along with your medication? There might even be a social anxiety group at your uni.

CBT helped address a lot of the issues I was having with social anxiety (like reducing my severely negative thinking patterns), so that when I decided to pursue medication, it was to deal with mostly physiological aspects of anxiety. I take Effexor and Klonopin, which works well for me.

Like polythene said, only you and your doctor will ultimately know what will work best for you. Everyone is different and reacts differently to medications. Some people have great success with Paxil and Zoloft (SSRIs), while those didn't work at all for me. Work with your doctor on a plan and see what ends up working for you.

From my personal experiences (and a lot of research studies), I'd suggest you consider pursuing psychotherapy in addition to medication.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Propranolol helps completely with shaking etc. For me it takes away ALL the physical symptoms of anxiety. However, i still believe that it is a good thing to try and 'learn' how to give presentations etc without relying on medication each time. I started taking propranolol for presentations etc - but eventually started taking it for almost all interaction with people - interaction that i never used to have problems with - so in some ways i feel i've gone a few steps back. Despite saying that, it really does help tremendously when it comes to shaking/tremor/sweating etc. Talk to your doctor about it and also be aware that one possible side effect is depression.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
can i get Inderal easily prescribed by the doctors or any other beta blockers?
Beta blockers are meds made to treat high blood pressure. They reduce BP & pulse rate. They have zero abuse potential and no serious risks. The doc will ask if you have asthma as beta blockers can induce asthma attacks in those who have asthma. Beta blockers could be a problem if your blood pressure is already exceedingly low to start with. Other than that I can't see a problem. They certainly aren't risky meds that docs would fear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts