Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I have moderate social anxiety, and GAD. I;m currenly on remeron and 25 mg zoloft. Besides alcohol I can't find anything legal that can work for my social anxiety. I want to stick with remeron because it help with my insomnia and doesnt have sexual sides. I do hate the weight gain but I'm working with that. I would like to know of any other med that I can add for social anxiety that I can talk to my doctor about on my next appoinment. I read The two neurotransmitters that appear to be most likely involved in the development and maintenance of social anxiety disorder is dopamine and serotonin. I was thinking maybe abilify can work. What meds you know have a good feedback with SA that I can talk to my doctor about? I read that benzos work but doctors are hesitant with prescribing it because it's addicting. Your opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you're looking for something to work on dopamine, talk to your doctor about Wellbutrin.

For me, Celexa (SSRI) and Wellbutrin have greatly ameliorated by moderate social anxiety, with only negligible side effects.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1. It's almost impossible to get drugs that increase dopamine because they are addicting.
It's possible to buy research chemical online but I don't know about their safety.
2. same story for serotonin enchancer ( ssri's do not increase serotonin in the brain) I don't know how they exactly work.
3. get a benzo and add that to you regimen. Don't let the benzo phobics scare you. Withdrawal is easy with the right doctor. If your doctor won't prescribe you get it somewhere else. Or maybe use klonopin for 4 weeks with 10 days of break to avoid tolerance. by the way klonopin tolerance does not happen that fast: read http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20030718/msgs/244081.html
4. do not tell your doctor you drink alcohol or other illegal substances.
Great post!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Abilify is garbage & doctors are often morons.

Are you psychotic? Are you suffering from bi-polar mania? If you just answered NO to these two questions and your doctor wants to give you Abilify then he would be a moron.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I believe wellbutrin does nothing for dopamine but I could be wrong. You could always try it. :)
Wikipedia thinks it acts on dopamine:

Wellbutrin, Zyban) is an atypical antidepressant that acts as a noradrenaline and dopamine reuptake inhibitor

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Wellbutrin blocks dopamine reuptake, but only binds to 22-26 percent of the dopamine transporter sites (by contrast SSRIs block 80 percent or more of serotonin transporter sites).

Two more potent dopamine reuptake inhibitors, Nomifensine and Amineptine were both withdrawn from the market due to potential for abuse and other concerns.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Abilify is garbage & doctors are often morons.

Are you psychotic? Are you suffering from bi-polar mania? If you just answered NO to these two questions and your doctor wants to give you Abilify then he would be a moron.
I agree. I am diagnosed bi polar and Abilify was the worst drug by far that I have been on. It made me very paranoid and made me manic. I am currently on Paxil for my SA and it has cured about 85% of my social anxiety. However, it does not make me more outgoing but I no longer have anxiety about speaking or worrying about what others think about what I say. I hope you find something that works for you.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I'm also on remeron, and agree that it's good for insomnia, and even depression, but doesn't do a thing for social anxiety.

As for what helps? for me Klonopin.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have to disagree on unselective MAOIs. The ratio of serotonin:dopamine: (nor)adrenaline is not best suited to social anxiety, but more for anergic depression. SSRI + mirtazapine + selegiline + low dose bupropion would be better, but really there are many combinations that would work. Opioids, benzos, acetylcholine boosters and NMDA antagonists should also be considered.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I have to disagree on unselective MAOIs. The ratio of serotonin:dopamine: (nor)adrenaline is not best suited to social anxiety, but more for anergic depression. SSRI + mirtazapine + selegiline + low dose bupropion would be better, but really there are many combinations that would work. Opioids, benzos, acetylcholine boosters and NMDA antagonists should also be considered.
I agree

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
...Abilify was the worst drug by far that I have been on. It made me very paranoid and made me manic.
Abilify made you manic -- Wow. I thought it was supposed to work to stabilize mood in those with mania. Of course, I have no personal experience with mania. In fact, reading a description of mania is equal to reading the exact opposite of who I am. You seem to have unexpected reactions to meds. You're the one who isn't put in a happy mood by amphetamines either.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
although personally I wouldn't use an Irreversable MAOI unless mirtazapine+SSRI+ benzo for anxiety, or venlafaxine+ mirtazapine for severe depression failed first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your opinions. klonopin generic version was added to my regimen. I take .5 mg, 2 times a day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts