Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on what to study in college. The two top choices are either audio and video production (which I'm currently enrolled as), or culinary arts. Yeah, two completely different kind of majors. :lol

On one hand, I'd really like to try culinary arts. I'm good at cooking, and I think I could make a decent living out of it. On the other hand, I hear that there's lots of social interaction that takes place as a cook or chef, and I wouldn't be able to take the pressure of being yelled and cursed at.

Then there's audio and video production. Another thing I'm good at (I'm a musician and I've mixed my own demo CDs.) I think I'd also really enjoy this. On the other hand, I have tinnitus, and being exposed to noise for long periods of time really hurts my ears.

Sigh...I honestly don't know which one to choose.

Any ideas?

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you going to a vocational school or an arts school of some sorts? I have never heard of such majors in a traditional liberal arts university.
I'm going to a community college. There's all sorts of different majors offered here.

I could also sit this test that would tell me what the best job is for me (based upon my interests.) I'm just thinking of those two majors as the top two, because I honestly don't know what else I could do.

My college offers one of the best culinary arts programs in my area, it's top rated, so I know it's good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you truly are on the fence about both, I'd go with the audio/video production. I've actually thought about going into that. With cooking, you'd have to make sure you really love cooking because if that is what your degree is in, it allows little wiggle room in terms of career options. If you gain knowledge about production I feel like you would learn a lot and could work in a studio, on your own, a music venue, a film company, etc. The audio/video degree just seems to be more versatile.

Based on the info given, you could still cook as a hobby and maybe take a few cooking classes/workshops (they usually have them for non-students at local culinary institutes). As for the tinnitus, I am starting to get that from going to too many shows. From what I've seen, kitchens aren't really the quiestest places either so I don't know if that's really a pro/con of choosing either option.

Hope that made sense and helped you a little bit! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you take that test that tells you which career options should fit you, take it lightly. My high school made us do that and we all got things like park ranger and lumberjack haha

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks pupper. I think you're right, I should go with the audio/video production.

To be honest, I still have a lot to learn about that major. I'm not completely read up on what jobs you can really get with it. I think I'll ask my adviser the next time I see her.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I knew a few video production guys in college. That course is demanding, but you would probably have alot of fun. Storyboards, coming up with storylines, filming, editing, choosing actors for your film, mixing music. Fun, fun, fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Take note that working in a resturant as a cook can be very demanding. Yeah it can be very social, but it can also be many hours. Also noteworthy is that sometimes it isn't about making the best food at your pace. On a busy night, you have many orders to make at once and that can be very difficult to get comfortable with.

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
I am going to be a senior next year and I've been asking this question and changing my answer since before I started college. Hopefully, you know yourself better and can make a good decision, but if you change your mind a lot, that's okay, too. A lot of people have more than one career in a lifetime. things change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts