Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I suffer from social anxiety, undiagnosed for decades.

As for medication, "which is better", i.e. has better scientific study results and has less side-effects, alprazolam (Xanax) or clonazepam (Klonopin)?

I tried alprazolam a few years ago and remember feeling a bit weird on it. I will try clonazepam as from tomorrow. Recently I have taken lorazepam on occasion, which is okay (doesnt cause cognitive deficits or sedation in me), but I have hairloss as a side-effect. I have read that clonazepam can cause hairloss...

Does anyone have infos on "which is better", also, I would appreciate to hear of experiences of those who have taken both and can compare... and possibly mention side effects too?

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
they are all the same except K lasts longer than the others, they all take getting used to , if sedated strongly, reduce the dose for a while

they dont cause hairloss

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
they dont cause hairloss
Agree. I've read the whole laundry list of possible side effects and hair loss is not on that list. I've read the anti-benzo propaganda that blames benzos for damn near every problem under the sun and even they failed to find hair loss as a problem. And the anti-benzo folks manage to link benzos to virtually everything. Prof. C. Heather Ashton, the old bag who's the UK queen of benzo bashing was even able to link benzos to a case of blindness. If you're wondering how that's possible, you have to crush a benzo, make it into a solution and then use a dirty needle to inject it into your eye which causes and infection that leads to blindness. Yeah, blame a benzo for one of the world's most stunning cases of stupidity. Isn't this the last place you'd think of to inject anything?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
As for which is better, there isn't an overall better benzo. It's a matter of personal preference and your specific needs. Klonopin is longer lasting, but slower to take effect. Xanax is shorter acting, but takes effect faster. Due to this Xanax is more suited to PRN (as needed) use and Klonopin is more suited to chronic use. Though that is a generalization as I've been using Xanax on a daily basis for years and there are lots of people who use Klonopin PRN.

The answer to which is better is whichever one works best for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the replies, I guess it's personal trial and error then. i've got both now and I'll see which I prefer, also with regards to side effects.

when I wrote "which is better" I also meant with regards to (scientific) efficacy (sic). apparently though these two benzos are first choice in SP.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hair loss? Jesus, I would be more concerned if you were using an anti-depressant concerning hair loss than a benzodiazepine. On paxil I like to refer to my hair experience as 'moulting' as my hair line receded quite a bit. When I came off it grew back.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hair loss? Jesus, I would be more concerned if you were using an anti-depressant concerning hair loss than a benzodiazepine. On paxil I like to refer to my hair experience as 'moulting' as my hair line receded quite a bit. When I came off it grew back.
Jesus, that's pretty concerning, makes you wonder about SSRI's, then again, I always had my doubts over SSRI's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how long after you stopped the paxil did the hair start growing back? and would you say it reaches/reached the level it was before the paxil?

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I prefer Klonopin because Xanax makes me angry.

·
Registered
544 Posts
how long after you stopped the paxil did the hair start growing back? and would you say it reaches/reached the level it was before the paxil?
A lot of it grew back but some it didn't as well. It was strange when it happened because there is no male baldness on either side of my family and when I read that SSRIs can cause hair loss it made sense - plus as well as some of it growing back when I came off it.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
hairloss is often caused by stress or anxiety, also everyone moults but the hair lost grows back soon

at one stage the antibenzo fanatics said all panic attacks were caused by benzos.....

·
Registered
544 Posts
True, but this definitely was the Paxil, since my anxiety and depression was very much erradicated at that time while on it.

Shame it stopped working and didn't work when I went back on it. :(

·
Registered
228 Posts
Which is better coke or pepsi? There about the same besides half life. Xanax is more suited for panic attacks and clonazepam is more of a subtle long lasting effect.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hairloss

Years ago I suffered hairloss on ssri's (mixture) Stopped taking them and My hair grew back almost thicker. I have been on Clonazepam for 5- 6 years and experienced no hairloss whatsoever. In fact, ....people actually comment on the thickness of my hair.

Benzophobes will lead you to believe that benzo's were put on this earth by the devil. I would just love for these people to become crippled and house bound due to anxiety.

Let them see how it feels to be scared to leave your house.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Years ago I suffered hairloss on ssri's (mixture) Stopped taking them and My hair grew back almost thicker. I have been on Clonazepam for 5- 6 years and experienced no hairloss whatsoever. In fact, ....people actually comment on the thickness of my hair.

Benzophobes will lead you to believe that benzo's were put on this earth by the devil. I would just love for these people to become crippled and house bound due to anxiety.

Let them see how it feels to be scared to leave your house.
Yes, they make a good short-term treatment, but is your life as organised as it once was? Memory still going strong? Concentration? Sex drive? Ability to feel emotion and pleasure? How about your career (if you have one), has that advanced at all?

Agreed benzophobes are stupid, but so are benzophiles. There are far better ways to treat depression/anxiety than benzos.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
For anxiety what works better than benzos?
SSRI + mirtazapine or SSRI + bupropion are both extremely effective for both anxiety and depression without many side-effects. There are many possibilities outside legal prescriptions, and opioids as mentioned are pretty miraculous if you stop tolerance.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts