Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Irretrievably Lost
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of music streaming most people today don't tend to listen to entire albums in one sitting. Most people seem to just listen to their favorite songs on heavy rotation or they listen to Spotify radio or something similar. I do this too but I also listen to entire albums as well. To me listening to an entire album is a completely different experience. Instead of just listening to some songs you like, you're experiencing a piece of art the way it was intended to be presented to you. To me most albums are like movies, they project a story or a set of emotions that the artist it trying to convey.

So anyway, I listen to a lot of albums and wanted to create a thread for people to post about the albums they're currently listening to a lot.

I'm listening to a bunch of stuff right now and will probably post some of the other stuff later on but wanted to start with Interpol's Our Love to Admire, for no particular reason other than I've been listening to it a lot lately.

This is my second favorite Interpol album. My favorite is Bright Lights but I've listened to that one so many times I 'm kind of sick of it now lol. I love this album because it's so dark. I think it's their darkest album. From what I've read, the band had a lot of issues with drugs and other things at the time and their situation was very chaotic which expressed itself through this really dark album. It's kind of a snapshot into their thinking and angst at the time.

Some tracks from the album:

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I love that Interpol album. Good idea for a thread! I guess it must not be too common for people to listen to albums then. And I listen to a lot of them cause the experience is so much better that way. As of recently, I've mainly been listening to rap/hip hop, pop and trip hop.

I've been listening to a lot of albums actually.

Fever in, Fever Out, Natural Ingredients and Electric Honey by Luscious Jackson. My SAS friend got me into them. He definitely has good taste in music.

Highmore by The Dead Pirates

A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular by Hooverphonic. Such a good electronic album. Probably in my top 5 electronic albums of all time. Haven't listened to it a lot recently but I was hooked on it for awhile. I need to listen to it again.

Poe's Hello and Haunted. Pretty interesting stuff. My SAS friend also got me into this artist.

Erotica by Madonna...Pretty much all her albums before the 2000s really. I've been listening to her stuff a lot the past few months.

My SAS friend got me into listening to DMX so I've been listening to his first few albums a good bit.

Song Yet to Be Sung by Perry Farrell

The Velvet Rope by Janet Jackson

Mosquito by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers

44,316 Posts
Yeah I don't really listen to albums anymore as opposed to specific songs, I used to as a teenager and in my early 20s though, but even then I'd usually skip songs and listen to my favourite ones after listening through the first time. Even when I do listen to albums I don't usually listen to them in the order they're presented very often. A few years ago I listened to Hand. Cannot. Erase in order since it's a concept album. Think I did with IAMX Alive In New Light too within the last few years. Also A Moon Shaped Pool. Might be some other examples but it's been a few years.

I listened to most of Halsey's new album (If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power,) when it came out because I was curious since she worked with Nine Inch Nails, also Crywank's new album (Just Popping In To Say Hi,) but I think I missed some tracks from that. I posted my thoughts about those in another thread already though and plus I didn't really listen to them in order. Both those albums were created during the pandemic though and they're both really great relative to what I've heard of a lot of their other work coincidentally.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Yeah I don't really listen to albums anymore as opposed to specific songs, I used to as a teenager and in my early 20s though, but even then I'd usually skip songs and listen to my favourite ones after listening through the first time. Even when I do listen to albums I don't usually listen to them in the order they're presented very often. A few years ago I listened to Hand. Cannot. Erase in order since it's a concept album. Think I did with IAMX Alive In New Light too within the last few years. Also A Moon Shaped Pool. Might be some other examples but it's been a few years.

I listened to most of Halsey's new album (If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power,) when it came out because I was curious since she worked with Nine Inch Nails, also Crywank's new album (Just Popping In To Say Hi,) but I think I missed some tracks from that. I posted my thoughts about those in another thread already though and plus I didn't really listen to them in order. Both those albums were created during the pandemic though and they're both really great relative to what I've heard of a lot of their other work coincidentally.
A Moon Shaped Pool is the ****. I love that album.

44,316 Posts
@PurplePeopleEater

It is a great album a lot of the tracks have this kind of crystalline dreamlike quality too but also very heavy (emotionally,) like with most of their work. It actually temporarily inspired me to try making music lol for the first time in about a decade when it came out. It didn't last long though.

But I can only listen to Radiohead now and then because they have a very strong emotional impact, a bit like Coil but different emotions. And also because I still haven't bought a decent pair of headphones to replace my old pair (and the difference is very noticeable to me,) because I got stuck in product researching limbo trying to find good quality wireless headphones that still work while they're charging etc.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
@PurplePeopleEater

It is a great album a lot of the tracks have this kind of crystalline dreamlike quality too but also very heavy (emotionally,) like with most of their work. It actually temporarily inspired me to try making music lol for the first time in about a decade when it came out. It didn't last long though.

But I can only listen to Radiohead now and then because they have a very strong emotional impact, a bit like Coil but different emotions. And also because I still haven't bought a decent pair of headphones to replace my old pair (and the difference is very noticeable to me,) because I got stuck in product researching limbo trying to find good quality wireless headphones that still work while they're charging etc.
It's weird cause my online friend I talk to through email says Radiohead inspired him to start making music too. Lol But he doesn't anymore either. They do inspire a lot of people, though. It's odd cause I can be happy listening to sad music. But there are songs here and there where I just can't listen to them hardly cause they sound too depressing.

Well, that suuuucks about the headphones. Really does make a difference.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I rarely listen to full albums anymore. These days only "blockbuster" albums get me to do that. So I listened to the new abba album twice. Also a local folk artists' new album is on rotation but it is a rarity. I expect to be listening at least once to the upcoming album by Silk Sonic as the first few singles sounds like proper old school soul. The new album by the Weeknd has my interest as well.

Back in my teens I always listened to full albums, for some reason I can't be arsed to still do that so I too always listen to my favorite tracks which I store in an ever-growing list...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Violet Cold - Empire of Love - I like 'happy' metal written in major scales like this album.

Sadness - April Sunset - Leave and Circle of Veins still my favourites but this is awesome.

Veldes - The Bitterness Prophecy - This is a textbook atmospheric black metal album imho, my only complaint is that the drum machine is a bit pants but the songwriting is really good on all his stuff.

Elyvilon - Nimueh's Gift - Dungeon synth: I only just discovered there's an entire genre of music that sounds like old RPG music :D

·
Mad Scientist
1,237 Posts
Violet Cold - Empire of Love - I like 'happy' metal written in major scales like this album.

Sadness - April Sunset - Leave and Circle of Veins still my favourites but this is awesome.

Veldes - The Bitterness Prophecy - This is a textbook atmospheric black metal album imho, my only complaint is that the drum machine is a bit pants but the songwriting is really good on all his stuff.

Elyvilon - Nimueh's Gift - Dungeon synth: I only just discovered there's an entire genre of music that sounds like old RPG music :D
We have quite similar taste in BM and dungeon synth. Never got into Empire of Love though, but it's definitely unique.

·
Registered
280 Posts
We have quite similar taste in BM and dungeon synth. Never got into Empire of Love though, but it's definitely unique.
I literally only discovered Dungeon Synth the past few days whilst I've been off work. It's a fun genre so far - like whole albums of instrumentals by Summoning or Burzum or whoever.

I just liked how completely moonbat crazy Empire of Love is. The rest of Violet Cold's stuff is a bit less weird and is also really good imho.

·
Irretrievably Lost
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The new Emma Ruth Rundle solo album Engine of Hell was just released the other week and I've listened to it a couple times so far and really like it. It's a significant departure from her last two albums, it's very minimalist and uses only acoustic instruments. The focus of this album is clearly on her voice, her lyrics and the use of space in the music. It's far less sonically intense than her previous albums. If this album was released over the summer I probably wouldn't have liked it. But this is the type of stuff I like to listen to in fall and winter. Dark, deep and evokes melancholy.

The instrumentation on the tracks is basically evenly split between piano and acoustic guitar. I think the tracks are all arranged so every other song is one instrument or the other. I've never been a big piano fan and would have preferred all or most of the songs to be accompanied by acoustic guitar but the piano does bring a new element to the album and I think all guitar may have been too monotonous given how sparse the album is.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I always preferred listening to full albums over playlists or individual songs. I still have my phone set up to browse albums.

Lately I've been enjoying several from the independent German label "Arising Empire." It's been awhile since I really enjoyed heavy music that wasn't black metal. Some standouts include "Noir" by Novelists FR, "Premonitions" by Deadthrone and most recently "Through Life and Death" by Eyes Wide Open.

I love Violet Cold and Sadness.

·
Irretrievably Lost
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drahla - Useless Coordinates

Drahla is a dark post-punk band, I love their sound but unfortunately they only have one album out, Useless Coordinates. It's a great album though. I listen to this album often on dark and gloomy days. It has that feel to it. They have a fairly clean, deliberate sound that is a little bit urgent and a little bit eerie. Hope they come out with another album.

·
Irretrievably Lost
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nina Nastasia - Run to Ruin

Really dark and sparse album. Perfect mood for a dark winter. I love her use of negative space and all the string instruments. I've been listening to this album a lot lately. I love putting it on when I'm reading a book or something.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Great idea for a thread. Long live the ALBUM.

Ok been listening to this again lately. When I first discovered this album around 10 years ago or so,
it completely blew my mind, it's from 1977 and it sounded like it could just have been made a month before. They were so ahead of their time. (Though that will be dependant on musical reference points I suppose)

Suicide - Suicide (1977)

Reactions: either/or

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Leon Vynehall – Nothing Is Still (2018)
(Ambient, Downtempo, Deep House)

I keep returning to this album, it's a beautiful mix of styles. The tracks flow into one another. Best listened to as a single piece, as all good albums should. He makes various genres of music, (and all very well IMO) a lot for the dance floor but this isn't really one of them - a really talented producer.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra – Promises

Easily my favourite album of 2021. Stunning stuff from everyone involved. Pharoah Sanders would have been 80 years young when this was recorded, (He's now 81 and still going ;)) Released on David Byrne's Luaka Bop label. I don't see myself ever tiring of this one.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Silver Apples - Silver Apples
The White Stripes - The White Stripes
Failure - Fantastic Planet
Warpaint - Radiate Like This
The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention
Cluster - Zuckerzeit
New Order - Power, Corruption, and Lies

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Great idea for a thread. Long live the ALBUM.

Ok been listening to this again lately. When I first discovered this album around 10 years ago or so,
it completely blew my mind, it's from 1977 and it sounded like it could just have been made a month before. They were so ahead of their time. (Though that will be dependant on musical reference points I suppose)

Suicide - Suicide (1977)

Lol I just started listening to this album a week ago or more and didn't notice this on this thread. Our music taste seems to be pretty similar. 😂

1 - 20 of 44 Posts