Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had SA for a while now, and all of the sudden I have the urge to start making things right and getting my anxiety under control since I wanna be able to make friends before moving to the next chapter in life.

But where do I start? I already had therapy before but had extreme trouble with even opening up about emotions or trauma, and I don't feel like I would make any progress if I don't start opening up about my problems. I don't have therapy right now anyway since the place I went to has extremely bad management and I still need to schedule elsewhere.

I don't know if I should just push myself back into therapy ASAP or if there's a starting point somewhere else that I haven't found.

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
856 Posts
Well, you're opening up about your emotions right now. I don't know what's right for you. I found therapy helpful. If you give therapy another chance, start slow and build a rapport with your therapist.

All you have to do is open. :)

Sadness or whatever you're holding onto may come to the surface. Let it out, release it...let it go. If you can do this with the right therapist it is healing.

·
alien monk
8,439 Posts
I found going to meetups helped me a lot.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Maybe therapy isn't the right thing for everyone. You could try it again of course. Maybe you could try some of the things you've previously learnt in therapy and put yourself into social situations little by little, without a therapist's encouragement. Or try meds? They can be helpful. Maybe there's a self help group in your area, or you could find one online for during covid?

It's great that you want to beat your SA and haven't given up hope. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i found out that swimming if good. go under water, and scream you lungs out, again and again. you can also cry it all out, that helps.

·
Super Moderator
33,690 Posts
For the time being, I am going to sticky this thread in the hopes that people will post their knowledge and resources here so that it will be an up to date resource for people to use for reference.

All I ask is that people avoid controversial suggestions and just stick to the well-traveled paths (we do not want to send people into unproven territory if we are going to have this as a thread people see first when they enter this section)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you looked online for some books written to help those with social anxiety?
I found one that helped me a lot.
Just make sure you read the reviews of any of those books though, because that saves you wasting time getting and reading some of the really unhelpful ones that are out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts