Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,385 Posts
I spent a few months living in a place with no heat. I had electricity but I didn't have any electric heaters and no money to buy one. When it comes to sleeping, there's really nothing like going to bed in an ice cold room and waking up in an ice cold room every day.

·
bipolar
17,423 Posts
I've slept some pretty uncomfortable nights - I've asked random strangers if I could sleep on their hotel room floor, slept at train stations, on the floor, in a hairdresser's chair, on strangers' shoulders on the underground, on a park bench in Dresden...but none of these were quite as uncomfortable as those hotel rooms where they turn the heating up to the max and you can do nothing to change it. Why do they do it?? Torment of torments.
You asked random strangers? Jesus, you have slept pretty rough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On the floor of an airport. Was traveling for an interview, in a full suit, flight got delayed til next day, so i slept on the floor of the airport. Remember waking up the next day feeling sore and a random kid walking by with his mom looking at me all confused lol.

·
experimental sincerity
1,491 Posts
You asked random strangers? Jesus, you have slept pretty rough.
I went to Denmark to see a band. I had money for the gig and the flight and nothing else. Having already napped in a doorway and found it both cold and uncomfortable, I figured I'd get over my sense of shame and ask some nice-looking girls if I could crash on their floor. They said yes!

Edited to say: I was 18. A lot has changed since...

Reactions: harrison

·
bipolar
17,423 Posts
I went to Denmark to see a band. I had money for the gig and the flight and nothing else. Having already napped in a doorway and found it both cold and uncomfortable, I figured I'd get over my sense of shame and ask some nice-looking girls if I could crash on their floor. They said yes!

Edited to say: I was 18. A lot has changed since...
I'm glad things have changed - and I'm glad you're okay. :)

·
experimental sincerity
1,491 Posts
I'm glad things have changed - and I'm glad you're okay. :)
Thank you! Roughing it a bit is okay at that age. Appreciate your comment, you always have something nice to say :)

Reactions: harrison

·
Registered
147 Posts
My worst night's sleep was on a ferry. I was going on holiday with my parents and they didn't want to pay for a cabin just for one night so we ended up sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags. Sleeping on the floor is never a barrel of laughs but sleeping on the floor of a ferry is particularly horrible. I felt every up and down motion of the boat go straight to my stomach for 9 hours.

Not sleeping but I did once spend most of the night on a bench out on the street. I was walking home from a friend's house after a night out drinking when I was suddenly hit by a severe bout of depression. I sat on the nearest bench and started crying and cried for about four hours straight. If I was in a film then I would have been approached by an attractive stranger who would have comforted me and we would have slowly fallen in love accompanied by a gentle indie soundtrack. Unfortunately it was real life so nobody gave a damn, or bothered to ask if I was alright .

When dawn arrived I pulled myself together enough to go to the nearest open place to buy a coffee. Sadly the nearest open place was my old workplace that I had quit a few months before. I was still pretty wasted and I had been crying for hours so I must have looked like a real wreck and my old workmates must have thought I had really fallen on hard times. They were too polite to say anything though. I live in England so everybody is always too polite to say anything. Actually that night did change my life a bit because I have never got drunk since.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Two of the family road trips we took as kids, we all slept in the van, because my mom was too frugal to want to pay for a hotel/motel despite both my parents were decent earners and easily could've afford it. The second trip was a week long trip to Las Vegas in the summer, which proved awful with the 90F+ heat even at night. I remembered none of us slept for nearly 70hr straight and were dragging out feet the first few days in the 100F heat. Eventually we couldn't take it anymore and got ourselves a hotel against my mom's angry protest. I remembered we all slept for 12hr straight the first night we got the hotel room. Ironically enough, my mom slept nearly the whole day while we all just left her sleeping and all had an awesome buffet and saw a magic show and then a pirate show.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts