Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
experimental sincerity
1,491 Posts
In a tent full of water. It was very cold. I wrapped toilet paper around my toes trying to keep warm. I had built the tent using forks as pegs and it partly collapsed under the heavy rain. My tentmate: "you told me to bring a tent, you never told me to bring pegs".

In a derelict building. It was cold, the roof was falling apart and one floor got flooded each time it rained. Lots of water and loose electricity cables. No floorboards on the second floor. People shooting up drugs in the next room. And ghosts!

An ostensibly haunted room of an old monastery, where no one else wanted to stay. The walls were covered in a wallpaper that was like a giant photograph of a never ending forest. It was foggy and windy, then electricity went out in our part of the building. Then I woke up feeling like someone was strangling me and completely freaked out.

·
SAS Member
14,482 Posts
In a car for a couple of weeks. I had no home or apartment to go back to and no friends that might let me stay over. Spent most of that time listening to the boring radio and drinking, but heck i still went to work everyday and pretended like everything was okay.

I slept in the woods(tent) a lot too, for days. But that was planned and kind of fun.

·
SAS Member
43,979 Posts
'Slept' overnight in a car once when I was 13. Five people crammed in, so barely slept.

That's not the worst actually.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
The high security ward at the psych hospital where they would lock you in your cell at 10 pm every night. CLANG.

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
Holy hell...I thought mine was rough, but whatever. While I've had my share of bad camping, my worst was having to sleep on top of all my packed belongings in a Chevy Tahoe stranded on a closed highway due to a snow storm.

But yeah, I'm starting to think that was some ritzy living in comparison to other's stories....humbled.

·
Is that what day it is?
8,078 Posts
I fell asleep in McDonalds in Kansas sitting at a booth with my head on the table. I was very tired, and it was more than a few hours. The employees saw me but I wasn't bothering anyone or taking up space so they left me alone which was rather nice of them. They probably thought I was homeless though.

One of the girls said I looked too cute, which I did when I slept. I looked entirely too pleased with myself as I slept, I've had many pictures taken of me sleeping. Later into my 20's I think I look like a jumbled mess probably but I haven't had many people watch me sleeping as of late.

·
Banned
5,592 Posts
@scarpia yeah, that's rough, been there done that. Idk how I forgot to mention it in my first post. I probably blacked the memory out, ffs. But your post reminded me.

When I was 16 my parents had me committed to a psychiatric hospital, and I was at a holding facility temporarily until they moved me to the real hospital. My first 24 hours there I was in a ten foot by six foot cell. Nothing in there except for a mattress, if you can call it that. No windows, nothing but a mattress and a camera in one of the corners. It was freezing cold, must have been fifty-something degrees in there and I had been stripped searched, had my clothes taken away and was given what felt like paper-thin clothes, kind of like the gowns you wear sometimes when you're at the doctors office or hospital. That was a long night. I didn't sleep at all.

I was in another psychiatric hospital years later and they did room checks on me every 15 minutes for the first three nights. They tried to be quiet about it but I woke up every 15 minutes anyway lol. I believe my roommate there suffered from schizophrenia. He heard voices, and he talked out loud to himself, and he talked about stabbing and strangling people. I'm not even kidding. I asked to me moved to a different room, I didn't even make it through the first night with him. That was really and truly a scary experience, ffs.

Years later, after that I was in another holding facility waiting to go to a county-funded mental hospital. There were probably 100 of us in a huge, huge room about half the size of a football field I guess, with tons of security guards, nurses behind plexiglass in another room. In one half of the room were rows and rows of cots, just rows of them, one after another. My first night there I woke up in the middle of the night and the woman who had been sleeping in the aisle of cots next to me was standing over my cot, staring at me. That was creepy as ****. I didn't get much sleep in that place, at all, after that.

·
Administrator
9,230 Posts
Hospitals are probably the worst places to sleep.

The other worst place was probably somewhere in Sydney in 2008. The motel/apartment was dirty and across the road from a place that played loud music. The beds were so uncomfortable that I had to fold my pillow up and put it on the bedside table and go to sleep like that. We left that place as soon as we could and then found somewhere better.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Aside from sleeping on the plane, I will say they are mostly from camping. Sleeping in the tent cramped with people. Or sleeping in the car during camping, because I opted to sleep in the car over sleeping in the tent. It wasn't much better either. I also slept twice on the living room floor before when I got drunk and passed out. Though it wasn't really uncomfortable since I was... you know.. passed out. And I few years ago, I came home drunk and just decide to lay down. Woke up at 4am to find myself in the middle of the kitchen floor with my dog as my pillow. She slept next to me under my head. She was still kind of a puppy then. It was kind of nice :lol .

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Enough places to where I realize I can sleep in just about any position or any environment. I've slept in stifling hot swamps and up in the mountains in frigid weather. Crashed on people's couches at house parties and on a hospital gurney. In school, while pulling several all nighters in an office, I slept in an office chair with non-locking wheels by wedging myself against a file cabinet and holding myself still by propping up my chin in my hands while my elbows held me in place. How I didn't end up face planting, I don't know. Worked all night after working all day to point where I think I actually slept while I was standing, though not too well. You start swaying.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A hotel with a rat living under the bed. It wasn't a big deal when I complained to the staff so I had to accept it as it was late. Slept on a park bench a few nights after which was far better. Those were in my backpacking days.

·
Registered
442 Posts
College libraries at any of those desks with hard awful chairs. It's a nightmare and you can never actually fall asleep being bent over like that, well at least I can't. I'll just be half-asleep.

·
SAS Member
4,385 Posts
10 hours in a ****ing airport sleeping lounge. It was either the hardchair or the hard tile floor as a bedspace.
Location: Abu Dhabi International Airport, United Arab Emirates.

من موبيلي Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,415 Posts
I hated sleeping in a bunk bed at boarding school, for about two years. Especially because I didn't get on at all with the idiot in the bottom bunk who shared the room with me.

I was staying with relatives in Scotland in the late 90s, not that long after my grandparents' house was sold. My uncle's house was very full of people, so I was meant to sleep alone in the (comfortable enough) sitting room. However my grandparents' huge old dining table (which I had often sat around with others) was now in the next room, through glass doors. For some reason that really creeped me out, so I couldn't get to sleep and ended up sleeping, most uncomfortably, in a bathroom. The next morning, everyone obviously thought I was insane and my parents (at least my mother, not sure if my father was there) were furious. I did eventually explain it to my mum, don't know if any other family members ever heard the truth. In 2003, I went up there again for Christmas with my mum (after my dad died), and that house was completely full, so we had to sleep in a nearby house that belonged to some neighbours who were away for the duration. It was absolutely freezing weather (in a rural area), and IIRC there was no heating for some reason. So it was very unpleasant trying to sleep there.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts