Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just landed my first job at burger king a month ago. i haven't been liking it, i don't really like working around others and everyone talking to each other and feeling like i have to join in. i hate it when i don't feel like talking and someone ALWAYS has to say "what's wrong, are you bored". i also make very little working a lot.

i just wish i had a job where i did my own work at my pace without having to stand around with others. anyone know a job like this? what do you do at your job? does it involve a lot of social contact?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use to work in Retail (last week) but i'm in a new role now as a Office Clerk. It does involve interaction with people, but it's not as bad as being the main one at check-outs with huge ques queing up to be served and just looking at you. :afr

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I'm at auto mechanic and I've been doing it for over ten years. I have very little social contact which is pretty nice. My boss handles most of the scheduling but I do have to talk to customers every now and then and answer the phone when I'm there alone but for the majority of the day I work alone. People just drop their cars off and I drive them in and work on them. It takes a certain skill level and you are required to own your own tools. Its also very dirty and physically demanding and involves alot of lifting and strenuous work. There are time constraints too. Most shops charge by the flat rate which is a pre determined amount of time given to do a particular job. If you can do the job in less time than the flat rate calls for, you can make pretty decent money when your employer is paying commision for every job you do.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Quality control for a software program. Yes, it does involve some interaction. I attend three meetings a week with managers to discuss how the program is doing (in my area). This has been an area I have had to work on, especially after being harassed by a colleague in one of the meetings. I have learned a lot about people (and their lack of SA understanding).

·
Registered
229 Posts
I work at UPS. Its ok there and keeps me in shape that for sure. I don't earn enough to move out though @@

·
Registered
660 Posts
About three weeks ago I started a new job at a bank-type outfit that processes people's mortgages. My job so far has been very tedious, going through files full of documents, sorting and copying them. It's boring, but the interaction with others is not too bad and it's the best-paying job I've had. So I can't complain too much.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I work in mental health. The position I have puts me kinda in the periphery. Meaning it's a large company spread out over several counties. I rarely have contact with people other than my clients and I have for the most part total control over that. I guess I shouldn't say rarely, there are coworkers that I intereact with regularly as part of my job, but it is usually one on one or very small groups. Things become difficult for me when I have to attend meetings and trainings.

·
SAS Member
14,453 Posts
I work as an office cleaner one day a week...starting school soon(that is when i get off my butt and register...damn anxiety)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I work in an outbound call centre job where we extract data and info from people, I would say it involves a lot of social contact since I have to phone up to 40 people per day. I chose this job to force myself to deal with my phobia and be more thick-skinned, cause in this line of work you meet lots of nasty people all the time, I have become more or less like Mr.Teflon and just let the insults slide past me without taking it personally , the other reason is cause the pay is good :D.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am a supervisor at a call center, we provide with customer service to all cardholders from a major credit card company, it is really hell sometimes, you have to deal most of the day with angry customers, by phone though, and there are also your bosses, *****ing at you on a daily basis to reach some irrational goals. My advice would be STAY OUT OF CALL CENTERS, they are HELL. :cig

·
Registered
289 Posts
I supervise a before and after school care program. Dealing with children is easy for me... it's the parents that make the job rough. I talk to the parents when I have to, but it's not fun.
I am thinking about looking for another job, probably nannying, until I finish studies. That way I would just have to deal with one family, not 20+ a day :afr
Sorry that I have no ideas for loner jobs. Good luck in finding one!

·
Registered
202 Posts
technically I'm qualified to be a pastry chef, but I recently lost what was basically my dream job - I was the only pastry chef on site, had my own kitchen and was making all vegan desserts (I'm a veggie). I had awesome hours, decent pay and hardly had any contact with people all day. BUT, they shut down due to bad upper management, so now I'm screwed, lol. There aren't a lot of good jobs out here right now, and the few I've applied for didn't like me enough to hire me.

So for the past couple months I've been doing what I did before going to culinary school - data entry. If you want a job w/as little human contact as possible, that's a good way to go. I just come in and type basically - updating customer databases, moving info into new software systems, etc. And since I'm doing temp work at the moment, people are even less expectant of me to be outgoing and try to get to know people. What's the point when I'm only going to be there for a few weeks? It can be stressful having to enter a new job environment every few weeks though, I will say that. But you can find permanent jobs doing data entry or filing, and they usually pay pretty well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I daytraded the stock market for over 3 years and then things just got so tough I decided to pull the plug on it. I'm interviewing for a job that would be customer support and/or maybe soft sales (no cold calling). Oh I'm deliverying pizza at the moment and it is depressing the H E double hockey sticks out of me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts