Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get over this, but I have little place to start. I have messaged three people from my high school tennis team (haven't went out and played with them for 1-2 years) to play tennis and 2/3 responded and I did well in conversations with them. I told them they could always call me whenever they want to hit, however, now I have no other people to do stuff with. I'm trying to put myself out there, but in the summer there's really nothing for me to do -- no where, no one to turn to.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
hobby groups imo. for example, if you liked tennis and/or raquet sports search the web using sites like meetup.com or just keep an eye out at local bars, grocery stores, etc to see if there are any clubs that interest you. i used your example and entered tennis along with my zip code (http://tennis.meetup.com/cities/us/10006/) into meetup.com and came up with quite a few groups of people looking to play recreationally . obviously depending on where you live it may get harder but if you dont mind a little exposure therapy this is one way to go about making new connections.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Hobbies are good. I actually think if you start with a clean slate it's often better than trying to make friends with people who know you as "the quiet person."

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
It's hard especially if you're not into all the bs electronic socializing that goes on now a days that has become an essential part of making and maintaining friends. One way is to join a whole bunch of groups at once or get back in touch with a whole bunch of friends at once so then you could talk about the social interactions you had with the other friends and it would look like you have a social life. Definetly utilize meetup sites like the ones already suggested. Those will help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts