Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Michiganworks.....See if your State has something simular........

I used to make "Cold calls" to save gas, ( I would go through the yellow pages) I would call a business I thought I would like to work at, and ask if they were taking applications, then I asked if they were hiring, if they said "Not now" I would ask "Are you inticipating an opening".........They might think.....And ask you to bring in a resume.......

Also, temp agencies are a great place to start;-)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but I've applied in person for every job I've ever had (actually, I don't think I've ever NOT gotten a job I applied for, hehe). Some places only allow people to apply online, but many companies like it when a person comes in to apply and they can see you face to face. That way you aren't just one of hundreds. They can put a face to your resumé. Dress nicely, be very polite, and show a good attitude and you will hopefully make a lasting impression that will give you an edge over the competition.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It seems like the only way to get hired these days is to know someone, which really sucks for me since I know no one.
Yeah, that's sorta true, and does suck. I sent out 1 resume and then the next day, someone who knew one of my friends called me to meet in two hours, so I went there in-person like raalka was saying, with my resume and nice clothes. I acted real motivated and friendly/polite and totally not-SA (don't know how that happened!) during the interview and they hired me on the spot and my office was ready two days later.

I do work my *** off though. Sorry you're having such a hard time finding a job. :( You sound very determined, like you'd work real hard if someone would just hire you.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What about trying through a temporary agency? Many of them do temp to hire placements and you don't have to do a lot of networking and calling you just go to their office and then they find you work. It used to be temps were just secretaries but that has really changed. Many different types of businesses use temporaries from light industrial entry level work to trained professionals in medicine and law. Working as a temp isn't that great but it can get your foot in the door and you can show what kind of a worker you are.

·
Registered
321 Posts
well...i look for jobs mostly in the newspapers. Sometimes i hear jobs on TV and just recently i applied for a job where they had this big sign outside the store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts