Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a bit of a shy "loner." Sometimes I find a friend for a while and then I have to start again. I wanted to hear from folks...where do you go to find friends? This has always been a mystery to me. Seems like everyone else in life already has a best friend. I often feel like everyone else got the memo on where to go and I didn't.

I am working on my SA and would like to branch out and begin meeting people. I've tried self help groups, book groups, etc. No such luck there. I don't need a lot of people, just a couple of good ones.

Where have you found your good friends??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Where you find friends probably depends on how old you are. Where to find a best friend is a good question, though.. Maybe you just have to like shotgun make friends and one will just stand out at you or something.

As of right now, the friends I have are the same ones I've had for yeeears, since early high school. We all want to find more, though.. We don't know how to branch out, either. I honestly have started feeling that maybe out of school, everyone just looks for relationships and just doesn't put very high priority on friendships?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I found my good friend in high school. We had a class together in 9th grade, and met through a mutual friend that we both actually didn't really like, and discovered that we live "two feet apart" (like a street over), so started sitting together on the bus. Got lucky I guess. Idk where to find them either, lol.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
childhood friendship mostly. School and Work is clearly the way to go. Possibly Volunteer somewhere.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My best friend we met when we were in grade school. My 2nd best friend I met through my best friend. Those are pretty much my only friends. I no longer see them by the way. I met some really cool people when I was working at Walmart that I bet I could have turned into friendships. I just made small talk and then eventually we started talking a lot. I quit there though before making any friends unfortunately which I regret.

I suggest trying to find people with SA who live around you and then getting together and getting drunk or something. Look for someone who is just as lonely as you but has similar interests.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have to say I've been lucky with the few friends I have. I've had the same handful of friends since high school. Picked up a few new ones along the way from jobs or a band I was in. Some I don't even know why they're my friends. I have one friend who is a cop and seems to be so outgoing and friendly with everybody but he always seems to vouch for me when others aren't really feeling me.

·
Banned
501 Posts
First, it is best to work on changing the behaviors that prevent you from making friends. If you just try to go to places to make friends, you'll fail. I had plenty of opportunities to make friends at school, college, work study, and volunteering but I didn't because I wouldn't initiate conversations with anyone. Plus, I didn't expressed to them my emotions and why I felt them in certain situations. When making friends, expressing yourself is very important.

To change your behavior, there's Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. You might want to research about them. You can check in my signature for excellent resources on SAD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found my best friend when I was 10 and we've been inseperable since then. We clicked because we both had bunnies *eyeroll* She and my closest family are the only ones I'm not at all shy around, for them I'm a really talkative, crazy girl. I wish I was always like that :afr

Nowadays I find most of my friends online through forums and such. I've become close friends with many of them and I've even met about ten of them in real life and spent a few days with them (I'm proud of myself for that).

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
This won't be helpful, but here's how I met my friends:

Good Friend #1 e-mailed me after seeing my webpage (It said "There will be something here some day." He asked when.) and kept talking to me on AIM, even though I wasn't very responsive, because he had made a New Year's resolution to talk to someone new and he decided it would be me.

Good Friend #2 I met in an IRC channel and have never met in person.

Good Friend #3 was my high school math teacher. He'd always held a high (too high, I believe) opinion of me and felt that I was like him in certain ways. I saw and IM'd him occasionally for several years after I left the school before I eventually started also talking with him on the phone.

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
Friends? Oh, you must mean the imaginary friends whose voices I hear in my head everyday after long having been driven past the brink of sanity by SA.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Have been lucky enough to hold onto my school friends though made some good mates at university as well. Also work I have made some mates though I would not call them friends as of yet.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I guess you find friends whichever place you spent the most time at. That could be school, work, or even online. Some of my very best friends in life I met in school. I've had a great friend since 7 grade. She met me when I was really talkative but still stuck with me through my S.A. ordeals.

·
Banned
501 Posts
What method(s) are you using when you say you are working on your SA? I'm curious to know in case it may be of benefit to me too. : )
My main CBT technique is Behavioral Experiments, also known as the Experimental Technique. You can check my signature if you want to learn more.

I also use self-disclosure advocated by Dr. Burns. Basically, you express your emotions and why you feel them to others instead of being silent.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Most of my friends are people i met through music. Eg, my current roommate is someone I used to be in a band with. I don't know what my life would be like without music. i'm thankful for it because it gives me friends.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i keep in touch with several friends from middle school...and the current, but few friends i do have, i met them in college...i've never maintained any friendships with the people i used to work with.

·
Registered
632 Posts
now i'm in college so i had a few friends that i hang out with most of the weekdays.i don't think they're my best friends yet.the only best friend i had is my secondary school friend.she and me is quite the same so we click well.but she's kinda introvert.without my SA i think i'll be the extrovert type.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Friends? Oh, you must mean the imaginary friends whose voices I hear in my head everyday after long having been driven past the brink of sanity by SA.
We have the same friends. ha ha :D

I need to get out more. The house & my head.

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
Met my current, and only, friend through an online forum such as this. It was a forum for certain cars and we happened to live in the Memphis area. We met up at the races one night and became friends.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts