Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Where do I start?

834 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Corey 
#1 ·
I'm terrified of people and any time I have to start working in groups, I will nearly have a panic attack. Of course, since I'm easily embarrassed, I often suppress the symptoms so people won't see me sweating or nearly hyperventilating.

I used to think I was just shy but the more I look at myself, I'm almost positive it's something more given the problems I have that it seems nobody around me has ever experienced.

I've yet to talk to a doctor or take any medication. What do I do? Who do I talk to? Where should I start?

#2 ·
I'm terrified of people and any time I have to start working in groups, I will nearly have a panic attack. Of course, since I'm easily embarrassed, I often suppress the symptoms so people won't see me sweating or nearly hyperventilating.

I used to think I was just shy but the more I look at myself, I'm almost positive it's something more given the problems I have that it seems nobody around me has ever experienced.

I've yet to talk to a doctor or take any medication. What do I do? Who do I talk to? Where should I start?
read gillian butlers overcoming shyness and social anxiety

#4 ·
I'm in the same position kind of. I have that overwhelming feeling (mostly a combination of stress, anxiety and self-conciousness) when I talk to people I don't know, etc. Not a panic attack, but it's a feeling I dread on occasion. I'm not seeing a doctor, or taking any medication. I often wonder if I should though. So, I'm going through the same thing. :(

Yeah, talk to your family first. I agree with what 'jane' says.

#6 ·
I'm in the same position kind of. I have that overwhelming feeling (mostly a combination of stress, anxiety and self-conciousness) when I talk to people I don't know, etc. Not a panic attack, but it's a feeling I dread on occasion.
Yeah, this is exactly what happens. I do remember one specific incident a couple of years ago in school... we had a substitute teacher and she gave us a group project that we had to pick our groups for, and obviously I had some problems with that.

Eventually she got me assigned to a group, and I felt terrible since I must have been a huge burden for them (as I usually do in this situation) and just kind of sat there. After a while, she came over and asked why I wasn't talking or doing any work, and I just completely froze and couldn't do anything more than... squeak, kind of. I tried to answer her question but it was in the quietest and squeakiest voice I'd ever had.

I actually got written up for not cooperating or 'academic inactivity' or something... I had to sort it out with my regular teacher the next day. I felt so guilty about the whole situation and the group I was in and their having to deal with it.

Apologies for the mini-rant; your post just reminded me of this situation.

read gillian butlers overcoming shyness and social anxiety
That's only like $10 on Amazon... even if it doesn't help, it's not much money and I could understand myself better. Might look into it, so thank you.

#5 ·
For me, talking to family doesn't help. There are a couple of people i feel comfortable and some I don't. Its a light switch. Yes or no. Out of the people I don't know, im either fairly comfortable or a mess. Even in the middle of a conversation i can turn from doin alright to going downhill out of nowhere. I get some intense anxiety, rly hot all of the sudden and i can't focus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.