Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this because of two reasons.

1. I feel like I'm missing out because I'm in my junior year of college and I can't say that I've been to a party before

2. My friend says he wants to go to a party at the college I go to.

Now first of all, my school is most definitely not recognized as a party school. It actually gets a stereotype of being a nerdy school. However, I still see bars and clubs full of people so I'm thinking there should be at least parties going on too.

Secondly, I have no connections either. All of my friends that I know aren't the party type so they wouldn't be able to tell me where I can find parties.

And also, what are proper party etiquettes? I don't know what I should do once/if I ever go to one and I know no one. I just want to meet people but I'll admit, I'm quite shy and although I like talking to people, I don't like to be the one to start the conversation because I have this feeling that I'm butting in.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I found some parties by accident when I was living on campus. I got on the wrong bus one night that went around the off campus houses and there were parties everywhere. I chickened out about actually going inside so I just left. I really regret not trying now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You need to meet people. They can get you into parties or invite you. If they have some social sense then they will introduce you to others at these parties. I was lucky enough to work with a real party guy. He parties nearly every weekend, very sociable, very good with women. He finds everyone a ride to a college, or throws a party at his place.

I don't see how else you would get invited to parties if you don't make friends with the guys that go to them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you have SA, college parties may be your worst nightmare...at least for me it was. I've been to a few frat parties in the past, as well as the local club, but my anxiety kicked in when I was at the party. I was so scared meeting strangers, and when one of my friends pretty much forced me into dancing with this girl, I felt so uncomfortable that I left after the song was over. To me there's a whole psychological topic involving opposite sexes at parties that I just don't understand...

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
- Fraternity houses. Especially if you are female.

- Bars.

- Go to a show, if it's a smaller one they'll announce an afterparty at someone's home.

- Word of mouth. Let some people know that you'd really like to go to a party, and to let you know when they hear of a good one. Most parties are strictly by word of mouth.

That said, I've actually gone to maybe two or three parties in the two and a half years I've been at college. Two were by word of mouth, and were crazily themed (one was a "robot party" and the other was a "Richard Simmons' Dance-off") and another was an afterparty for a local film festival.

·
wtf
419 Posts
- Fraternity houses. Especially if you are female.

- Bars.

- Go to a show, if it's a smaller one they'll announce an afterparty at someone's home.

- Word of mouth. Let some people know that you'd really like to go to a party, and to let you know when they hear of a good one. Most parties are strictly by word of mouth.

That said, I've actually gone to maybe two or three parties in the two and a half years I've been at college. Two were by word of mouth, and were crazily themed (one was a "robot party" and the other was a "Richard Simmons' Dance-off") and another was an afterparty for a local film festival.
LMAO i wanna go to a richard simmons' dance-off and make a total *** of myself, for real, lol that sounds like it would be so much fun just cuz of how corny it sounds

·
mmm... donuts
168 Posts
Secondly, I have no connections either. All of my friends that I know aren't the party type so they wouldn't be able to tell me where I can find parties.
Even if your friends aren't the party type, some of your friend's friends might be. Ask around. Sometimes people who don't go to parties might hear about one.

All the parties I went to, I learned about through people I knew. One was even hosted by a friend of a friend of a friend.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Follow the sound of the music.

Seriously, just walk down the street and listen for where there is a party. If the party is big enough, then chances are a random stranger such as yourself would be able to walk in. Usually the people hosting the party will charge a fee for a beer cup.

I only went to a few parties when I was in college, but the above experience is pretty much how it was.

·
Registered
102 Posts
cool, a nerdy school! I wish the two college I'd gone to were more full of nerds. Unfortnatly the two schools I'd gone to were party schools... and I don't drink or smoke or anything so I diden't exactly make friends.

Good luck with the party thing, if that's really what you want to do.

·
SAS Nonmember
148 Posts
Finding them literally: figure out where most of the off-campus students live, specifically where they can have large apartments or houses that aren't under a whole lot of supervision (ie likely not managed apartment complexes where people other than students live). Also find where the frat houses are. Then spend some time on Friday/Saturday nights walking around this area, looking for large groups of people and listening for loud music. My school was in the city so this was really easy, I could walk around my block and spot 5 parties; I don't know what it's like at more suburban campuses. Mine was a "nerdy" school too.

Now, I don't actually know what the etiquette is for attending a party you weren't somehow invited to. I would imagine for the really, really large parties it probably wouldn't matter, because all those people surely can't know each other... I went to a few parties but they were generally smaller ones comprised almost entirely of people I knew.

You can always identify someone in one of your classes who seems like a party type and tell them you have a friend who wants to go to a really awesome party, does he know of any? This seems a bit less weird to me than asking for yourself in a 'please invite me to your party please' sort of way, more like you're counting on them to be a guide to show your friend how awesome and fun your school is.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't know, I find out about parties on facebook, despite not being in school nor really hanging out with anyone this semester...but I'm kinda in the know about stuff through my connections. I talk to my "big" in the frat still almost everyday on facebook, so I find out stuff. Although I haven't went to any in months. Ever since I stopped taking adderall I've regressed, even though the adderall gave me terrible crashes and other side effects, but that's a whole another subject. You could probably search friends events on facebook and possibly find stuff to do.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You get invited to parties the same way you make friends in college. Join a group on campus that does stuff. Frats, volunteering, cultural clubs, special interest clubs, whatever. Make friends, then go party. (It feels like I've said this a hundred times before.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts