Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in therapy for over eighteen years for various mental conditions other then social anxiety. Now the social anxiety seems to be sticking out like a sore thumb. I never leave my apartment anymore, not even to get my mail. If I have to go somewhere like a doctor's appointment someone else has to drive me if I have any chance of wanting to get there. How did it get this bad? I'm so isolated. In addition to that I have half a dozen other mental illnesses to deal with, I have to admit it is consistently crossing my mind to just be finished with it all. How do I begin to turn my life around if I'm even afraid to answer the phone. I'm so depressed!

·
Banned
497 Posts
I have been in therapy for over eighteen years for various mental conditions other then social anxiety. Now the social anxiety seems to be sticking out like a sore thumb. I never leave my apartment anymore, not even to get my mail. If I have to go somewhere like a doctor's appointment someone else has to drive me if I have any chance of wanting to get there. How did it get this bad? I'm so isolated. In addition to that I have half a dozen other mental illnesses to deal with, I have to admit it is consistently crossing my mind to just be finished with it all. How do I begin to turn my life around if I'm even afraid to answer the phone. I'm so depressed!
i suggest you do a bit of research on goal setting. nlp covers this subject brilliantly. you should look at the s.m.a.r.t models

you need to break this all down into tiny chunks. you say you have counless problem. well seperate them. focus on one at a time . choose the mot important one first

if i had agoraphobia and social anxiety i would not try and tackle them at the same time. id choose one and completely forget about the other for the time being .

id pick the most important one fisrt. in this example it would deffinately be agoraphobia cos if i chose SA 1st then id find myself trying to have a conversation in a bar to get over SA but it would be impossible if i was actuallyscared for my safety whilst in the bar

id beat the agoraphobia 1st so then d feel safe going out to bars. then i could concentrate on the sa.

so choose 1 problem and focus on that . then break that problem down into tiny chunks and steps

if you look in gillian butlers book overcoming syness and sa , at the clerk and wells model for social anxiety you will see how sa includes safety behaviours , self conciousness and beleifs. also i would add on social skills too. so there is your chunks for SA:

*safety behvaiours
*self conciousness
*beleifs
*social skills

if i wre overcoming SA id break it down into chuncks and focus on one chunk at a time. id go for safety beaviours 1st. id wrk onone safety behvaiour at a tim and once id overcome that one id move to th next one. once id overcome every single safet behaviour id move on to self coniousness

in your case you could start of with answering the telephone. once you are 100% confy with the telephone and its not aproblem anymore then you can move onto the next step like maybe leaving the house.

every step you complete you are getting more happiness into your life. being able to leave the house brings more hppness into your life than when you ar retricted nside. so for each step you overcome and eachbit of happness you earn celebrate it

focus on the good things you hae now e.g ive overcome my fear of answering the phone. and forget about the thingsthat are wrong e.g i still have many other disorders and loads of SA to beat

its a journey not a destination

1 - 3 of 3 Posts