Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard a lot about the controversial cartoons disney and warner bros did with characters like bugs, mickey, daffy, donald etc. and ive always wanted to watch them to see whats so controversial about them.

im assuming they depicted italians, germans and japanese in a stereotypical way like the comic books of its time did. anyone know where i can buy them?

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
ive heard a lot about the controversial cartoons disney and warner bros did with characters like bugs, mickey, daffy, donald etc. and ive always wanted to watch them to see whats so controversial about them.

im assuming they depicted italians, germans and japanese in a stereotypical way like the comic books of its time did. anyone know where i can buy them?
Years ago there was a show on PBS called at the Bijou that showed movies and cartoons from that time period. The cartoons mostly poked fun at Hitler and the other dictators. It was quite interesting to see this level of propaganda. We do have propaganda today, but it is more subtle then during WWII.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'd post some interesting reading material on this subject but the site is nsfw/innapropriate. Look up the "censored 11" Heck I remember in the 80's when I was a kid they still showed all the racist cartoons on the afternoons and eventually they just stopped showing them all together because along with the racism there was also suicide/guns/violence/etc. Freaking pc culture.

The censored 11 are a lot stronger and have never been nor ever will be shown on tv, you can probably find them on a file sharing site i'm pretty sure "coal black and de sebben dwarves" is available "dur fuhrers face" is a good one too available on you tube.

Of course i'm assuming we are all adults and understand that looking at these cartoons are merely a curiosity and for their historical value. Hearing bugs bunny call a japanese person a "slant eyed" is pretty disconcerting when you first hear it.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
Some of them are on YouTube or used to be. Disney and WB have also released some of the WWII themed cartoons on DVD. Check out the Disney Treasures and Looney Tunes Golden Collection sets.

Hitler was a buffoonish living cartoon character and ripe for caricature. Most of the ridicule in Hitler cartoons is aimed at Hitler himself and not Germans or Japanese in general so you can laugh without feeling guilty about it.

"Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarves" is a cute cartoon and has a great jazz score. Black people in a cartoon from the '40s =/= racist. I don't think it belongs on the list with the other "Censored 11."

·
Registered
984 Posts
They are on the censored 11 because the black people are caricatures, eating watermelon and chicken, have big lips etc. I agree coal black and de sebben dwarves is an animation masterpiece but the way the characters are drawn means it will never be shown anywhere. A lot of bugs bunny, droopy, tom and jerry etc cartoons have the characters getting blown up and appearing in black face, sometimes they even saying "mammy" that wouldn't fly today anywhere. And no it just wasn't attacking hitler there is a cartoon called "bugs bunny nips the nips" that shows japanese people as devil like savages and bugs bunny calls them "monkey faces and slant eyes" so these cartoons are racist.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
TAnd no it just wasn't attacking hitler there is a cartoon called "bugs bunny nips the nips" that shows japanese people as devil like savages and bugs bunny calls them "monkey faces and slant eyes" so these cartoons are racist.
I don't think I've seen Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips. I was thinking of Russian Rhapsody and the Blitz Wolf. I think these can still be enjoyed today and aren't un-PC even by the standards of the staunchest advocates of political correctness.

As far as the way the blacks are drawn in Coal Black, I think all people are beautiful and its not racist to celebrate human diversity. Blacks in cartoons shouldn't be drawn just like white people except with dark skin. I can understand why some people might be uncomfortable with the cartoon, though.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i remember seeing blackface characters on bugs bunny cartoons when i was a child. that was as early as the 80s. wow i had forgotten that

·
Registered
984 Posts
As far as the way the blacks are drawn in Coal Black, I think all people are beautiful and its not racist to celebrate human diversity. Blacks in cartoons shouldn't be drawn just like white people except with dark skin. I can understand why some people might be uncomfortable with the cartoon, though.
Have you seen the cartoon recently? I'll have to chalk it up to that because the characters are all drawn in generic black face, the prince has gold teeth capped with dice; please tell me you don't think all black people look like that. Undoubtedly for the time period it broke some racial barriers: a jazz score, and an all black band for the final score but it's still racist by todays standards it's just in the 1940's things like that where so prominent even the people that weren't racist thought there was nothing wrong with it.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
Have you seen the cartoon recently? I'll have to chalk it up to that because the characters are all drawn in generic black face, the prince has gold teeth capped with dice; please tell me you don't think all black people look like that. Undoubtedly for the time period it broke some racial barriers: a jazz score, and an all black band for the final score but it's still racist by todays standards it's just in the 1940's things like that where so prominent even the people that weren't racist thought there was nothing wrong with it.
Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, then.

For the most part, the characters all have unique personalities and looks and are not the generic black stereotypes you see in most cartoons/films from the period. The little guys are a bit generic, but so were the ones in the Disney version of the story. I agree that it is dated by today's standards, but I don't believe it was created with hateful intent. I think they were trying to create something progressive for the time period. The cartoon has high artistic merit and deserves to be seen in a better form than grainy YouTube videos and bootleg VHS tapes.

Plus, So White is one of the sexiest cartoon characters ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts