Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought it might be interesting to post a list of medications that I have tried in the past, and how I responded to them, along with what I plan on possibly trying in the future.
(Please note that everybody responds to medications differently, and what may not work for me, may work great for you and vice versa.)

Feel free to post your own list, it would be interesting to see some others.

Diagnosis; SAD, GAD, OCD, Major Depression.

1. Paxil - Taken for 1 year @ 40 mg. Extremely negative response,
Notes - Amplified depression/anxiety, caused unusual rage/agitation response.
(Would have gotten off of this one sooner but parent/doctor wouldn't let me at the time.)

2. Lexapro - Taken for 2 months @ 10 mg. Negative response,
Notes - Side Effects; Loss of libido, Insomnia. No effeciency in treating my depression/anxiety.

3. Moclobemide - Taken for 2 months @ 300 mg. Negative response,
Notes - Side Effects; Jaw Clenching resulting in TMJ, Insomnia. No effeciency in treating my depression/anxiety.
(Some claim that a higher dose works better, but had to discontinue due to side effects.)

4. Klonopin - Positive response but can only use on a PRN basis.

5. Mirtazapine - <Currently on this @ 45 mg. Positive, but not full response.
Side Effects; Minimal, aside from Increased Appetite, and Weight Gain of approx 5 kg.

Future meds (in order of preference) -

6. Tolvon (Mianserin)

7. Prozac + Mirtazapine or Tolvon

8. Zoloft + Mirtazapine or Tolvon

9. Effexor + Mirtazapine or Tolvon

10. Nardil

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
since lexapro and paxil are prozac or SSRI type, it seems that type wont help you but there are several other types to try

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, I guess I was working off the fact that Effexor may hit Norephedrine, and Zoloft may hit Dopamine, which may improve their efficiency, not sure though.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Future meds (in order of preference) -

6. Tolvon (Mianserin)

7. Prozac + Mirtazapine or Tolvon

8. Zoloft + Mirtazapine or Tolvon

9. Effexor + Mirtazapine or Tolvon

10. Nardil
Mianserin is basically the same as mirtazapine, AFAIK. If I were you, I'd try the SSRI + mirtazapine combination.

13) Selegiline: Taking it @ 20 mg.
25% anxiety relief on 5 mg. Give me a month and I'll tell you about 20 mg. Side effects: Decreased libido even on 5mg (paradoxical), bilateral blepharospasm.
Really, anxiety relief at 5mg? Whenever I take selegiline, I get awful anxiety and can only use it with powerful anxiolytics.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mianserin is basically the same as mirtazapine, AFAIK. If I were you, I'd try the SSRI + mirtazapine combination.
As far as I know there are a few differences between Mirtazapine and Mianserin. Mianserin is a more potent alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist than mirtazapine, and also functions as a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor, which mirtazapine does not. It may or may not also antagonize more serotonin receptors than mirtazapine.

But yeah, I think the mirtazapine + an SSRI combo would be good to try, and particularly zoloft because of it's dopamine RI.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, ok so according to Dr Stahl, the main difference between Mirtazapine and other alpha 2 adrenergic antagonists such as it's older cousin Mianserin, lies in a complex interaction performed at the alpha 1 adrenergic receptor. Basically once mirtazapine has caused the release of noradrenaline and serotonin via inhibition of the noradrenaline a2-autoreceptors and noradrenaline a2-heteroeceptors, the released noradrenaline then interacts with the excitable alpha 1 adrenergic receptors located on the serotonin neuron prompting them to release even more serotonin. Hence it "cuts the brake cable", and "steps on the accelerator" of serotonin. This action differes from it's older predecessor mianserin, which acts also as potent alpha 1 adrenergic receptor antagonist hence somewhat mitigating it's serotonergic potential.

·
Registered
423 Posts
1. Mirtazapine - 1 week @ 15mg
No effect yet.

2. Dihydrocodeine - 120mg
No effect.

3. γ-butyrolactone - 1,500mg
Complete anxiety relief, euphoria, increased sociability, slight physical impairment, emetic.

·
Registered
191 Posts
1. Mirtazapine - 1 week @ 15mg
No effect yet.

2. Dihydrocodeine - 120mg
No effect.

3. γ-butyrolactone - 1,500mg
Complete anxiety relief, euphoria, increased sociability, slight physical impairment, emetic.
That's awesome. Would you be so kind to tell me where you get the GBL at. I would really love to try it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ok I've been through a lot of SSRIs so here's my experience:

• Inderal - 1 year (can't remember dose). Didn't really do anything but kept taking it anyway.
  • Valium - 2 days (no idea what dose). Was given this while I was in hospital for an operation so they could calm me down. Didn't do anything.
  • Prozac - 1 month at 10mg and then 20mg. I experienced severe agitation and nausea on either dose, so I had to withdraw.
  • Celexa - 6 months at 20mg to 60mg. Helped quite a lot for my anxiety but it made me extremely tired all the time and my depression kept getting more severe.
  • Paxil - 2 yrs at 20mg to 80mg. Helped my anxiety and depression tremendously. Eventually 'pooped' out on me and wasn't working anymore.
  • Zoloft - 1 year at 50mg to 100mg. Helped with my depression but didn't really do anything for my anxiety, and I kept getting headaches and bad insomnia.
  • Edronax - 1 month (can't remember dose). Terrible, terrible medication, was almost impossible to pee and I always on the verge of a panic attack.
  • Paxil - 3 months 20mg to 40mg. Didn't do anything at all.
  • Zoloft - 6 months at 50mg to 75mg. Once again the depression was well treated but my anxiety still bad. Plus headaches again.
  • Buspar - 3 months (not sure what dose). Helped a little with an anti-depressant but made me constipated.
  • Effexor XR - 5 months at 75mg. My anxiety was helped somewhat but my depression was not. Kept getting bad side-effects too.
  • Mirtazapine - 4 weeks at 15mg and 30mg. Made me extremely depressed and suicidal. Even on the first day of taking it I had an adverse reaction.
  • L-tyrosine - 2 weeks at 1500mg. Not sure if this is even doing anything yet.
  • Chelated Magnesium - 2 weeks at 150mg. Hasn't done anything. Has also been giving me bit of an upset stomach so I'm taking a break from it.
I should note that between some of these medications I did have some breaks and went medication free for a while.

·
Registered
192 Posts
PRN Meds.

The term "PRN" is a shortened form of the Latin phrase pro re nata, which translates roughly as "as the thing is needed". PRN, therefore, means a medication that should be taken only as needed. Pain medicines, sleeping pills, and cough medicines are common examples of PRN medicines.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
GBL is illegal in some states of the US (I think) and is also a watched chemical for imports, and soon will be banned the UK too. Many people have been arrested for importing it to the US.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts