Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems no progress has been made in sterilizing and preserving food for hundreds of years. Thousands with cooking. I think in 100 years' time people will look back at us and wonder why we only, mainly, ate hot or cold food. Can't we 'zap' it somehow? When I'm out and about and want to eat a sandwich, it is always cold. I don't want cold sandwiches. Or a burger - it is always hot.

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i fear the repercussions that come when tampering with food

what we're doing is already bad enough

we know little of the long term effects that the food we're eating will have on us

flash freezing was invented less than 100 years ago
Yes, but heating and cooling seems past its use-by date. Perhaps our tastes are now too used to this anyhow.

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but that'd be a violation of physical laws? there's no way a sandwich is going to stay hot without losing energy to its surroundings

so either your burger is going to be able to continually generate energy (no idea how), or you're going to have to carry a device that continually generates energy, or at least is able to contain energy (like a thermos)

i don't see us getting around physics anytime soon

microwaves already zap our food, just not in a visibly super futuristic-awesome-cool way
Don't understand your reply. I didn't mention keeping a burger hot. I'm asking why we still use Neolithic technology to sterilize food. Someone needs to invent a zapper. Cooking and chilling food is wasting energy.

·
Nothingman
962 Posts
Don't understand your reply. I didn't mention keeping a burger hot. I'm asking why we still use Neolithic technology to sterilize food. Someone needs to invent a zapper. Cooking and chilling food is wasting energy.
So you're saying you'd rather eat meat if it were somehow safe to do so if it were raw?

I think as well as making and keeping the food safe to eat, cooking or cooling provide the taste that we prefer. I'd rather not eat a scoop of raw ground beef on a bun. A piece of raw chicken? The texture may not be palatable.

This goes for plants as well. Some of them become easier to chew or digest, as well as taste better, when it is cooked.

As far as freezing, it keeps the food usable for a longer length of time, keeping costs down. You'd have to keep "zapping" food to prevent bacterial growth. Sounds no different than keeping the food in a refrigerator or freezer to me.

And by the way, that "zapping" technology with come with some hefty R&D costs which will of course get passed on to you.

In Firefly (and I know there were other futuristic shows/novels that did the same), they simply ate chunks of synthesized protein for the most part. Is that what you'd prefer?

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
You can zap it. It's called a microwave.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes, but heating and cooling seems past its use-by date. Perhaps our tastes are now too used to this anyhow.
Well, yeah. Humans and our pre-**** sapiens ancestors have been cooking food for upwards of a million years. It's the reason our digestive system is so short compared to other animals, because cooking makes it easier to digest. It's probably also the reason our immune system is so weak, our teeth are so small, our brains so big, etc. We are a species that has evolved to eat cooked food.

Plus, cooking generally makes food taste good.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
It seems no progress has been made in sterilizing and preserving food for hundreds of years. Thousands with cooking. I think in 100 years' time people will look back at us and wonder why we only, mainly, ate hot or cold food. Can't we 'zap' it somehow? When I'm out and about and want to eat a sandwich, it is always cold. I don't want cold sandwiches. Or a burger - it is always hot.
The only alternative to cooling food to keep it from spoiling is to keep it exposed to radiation. It would need to be kept continually radiated to stop the bacteria growing that cooling prevents.

I don't think people complaining about their sandwiches being cold is a big enough issue to develop the technology.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't understand your issue, or for that matter, THE issue. Just ****ing eat the food. If you haven't noticed, we don't have hover boards, we're not wiping our a**es with sea shells, and I don't see anytime soon that will oust the idea of different temperature foods.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
I don't understand your issue, or for that matter, THE issue. Just ****ing eat the food. If you haven't noticed, we don't have hover boards, we're not wiping our a**es with sea shells, and I don't see anytime soon that will oust the idea of different temperature foods.
I think his issue is that he's angry at having to eat cold sandwiches when he's out, as he wants them to be room temperature. The few minutes it takes for a fridge cold sandwich to reach room temperature is clearly unacceptable!

#firstworldproblems

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think his issue is that he's angry at having to eat cold sandwiches when he's out, as he wants them to be room temperature. The few minutes it takes for a fridge cold sandwich to reach room temperature is clearly unacceptable!

#firstworldproblems
And why is coffee SO hot? I like tepid coffee. Just above ambient - I dunno, like 60C or something.

I go to a coffee bar and I have to sit there like a lemon for 20 minutes before it is at a drinkable temperature. After devouring a brownie, a sandwich and some potato chips/crisps I start to panic. So when they're done, I fantasise about all the young men in the bar and on the street outside and memorised them for use as unassuming sex aids later in the evening. Then I pretend to be using my smart phone. What else is a chap to do?

Couldn't we zap coffee? Or perhaps shoot it with a ray gun?

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
And why is coffee SO hot? I like tepid coffee. Just above ambient - I dunno, like 60C or something.

I go to a coffee bar and I have to sit there like a lemon for 20 minutes before it is at a drinkable temperature. After devouring a brownie, a sandwich and some potato chips/crisps I start to panic. So when they're done, I fantasise about all the young men in the bar and on the street outside and memorised them for use as unassuming sex aids later in the evening. Then I pretend to be using my smart phone. What else is a chap to do?
:lol

Well for a start have you ever tried to make coffee with tepid water? There is a good reason boiling water is used.

Couldn't we zap coffee? Or perhaps shoot it with a ray gun?
We if you use a microwave you are essentially zapping it.

·
likes sloths.
265 Posts
Zack I think you should just start eating decomposing rats and report back!

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't I just eat decomposing rats privately without publicising it? They might give me indigestion.

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speak for yourself!

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm working on a project at the moment to, in layman's terms, develop a 'portable food zapper' that should eventually, I hope, obviate the need to treat foods with temperature extremes to render them safe for human consumption. My codename for this zapper project, and I use the word 'zapper' loosely, is Operation Freeze-dried Tofu. I hope to have a working prototype in fall 2018 at the latest. I expect that early models may be prohibitively expensive, as the technology is new, but my projections indicate that within six years my aim is to be selling 'zappers' for £39.99. Of course the 'zapper' will be inexpensive, but I hope to recoup my investment by selling 'zapper cartridges' for £10.99 a pop. The cartridges should last the average family one month. I also have a vegan cartridge in the pipeline which will retail at £59.99 and last approximately three weeks. I have filed patents for halal and kosher models, too, which I anticipate will retail at £299.99 and £39.99 respectively.

·
Star Child
251 Posts
Oh hey guys whats going on here? Somebody said something about cheeseburgers?

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, it is just a Quorn-cidence.

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That wasn't an impression of a Northern Irishman. Or it wasn't intended to be, anyway.

·
Nothingman
962 Posts
Oh hey guys whats going on here? Somebody said something about cheeseburgers?
mmm... cheeseburger... *drool*

but it's not quite the same raw and with the cheese non-melty like.

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd like to see all these people who like their steaks very rare to try some very rare chicken - eating chicken well done and cooked all the way through is so common.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts