Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancees friend is moving this Friday to Las Vegas, and they all had a going away party for her at a local pub/bar last night.

At first my anxiety shot up once i heard the news the day before. I immediately tried to think of excuses why i should not go. I was thinking whats the use of going to a bar if i dont drink? I'll just end up looking like a pathetic fool as always & embarras myself somehow. I obscessed on those thoughts for awhile. But i also thought to myself, "what if i had a going away party and no one showed up? how would that make me feel? & it would look like i didnt care that she was leaving. It would suck if i didnt at least go to say my goodbyes.

So after some reasoning and self talk, I convinced myself to go and not think anymore of it. Well the night finally came and i was getting a little anxious. Me and my fiancee arrived at the pub and it was pretty cool. It had a Hawaiian setting, live reggae band, & a lot of laid back people. I saw our friends in a lounge towards the back. They all welcomed us and everyone seemed happy that i actually showed up. There was about 16 of us in the lounge & i was glad it was a kick back setting.

I did get anxious again when it was time to order drinks. It seemed like everyone was ordering alchohol. I dont drink but when it was my turn to order, the waitress asked me what i wanted to drink and i was stuck. Everyone was looking at me & i took a deep breath and just said id share with my girl. I felt dumb being the only one not ordering a drink but tried my best not to think of it.

Well as the night went on i was pretty quiet as usual, but i did do some "small talk" & had a few laughs, ate some good food & i did share that alcoholic "tropical" drink with my fiancee & actually enjoyed it. Maybe i should start "drinking". Its funny how i would always stress and have Anticipitory anxiety before these things. But when i actually go through it, I find that Ive been stressing over nothing. Im so proud of myself for actually going and enjoy myself. & next time i get invited to a pub/bar, I wont have any problems going and might actually buy a drink next time.

The more and more i go out and experience things, the more comfortable i get around people. I also gain more confidence as well. I only wish i've done this years ago. Hopefully i keep this up and beat this anxiety

·
Registered
26 Posts
The more and more i go out and experience things, the more comfortable i get around people. I also gain more confidence as well. I only wish i've done this years ago.
I say that to myself now all the time. Why did I waste all these years and just go through with things then, I could be over it by now. But at least I'm working on it now and not wasting even more time.

I use to be "anti-alcohol" and would almost never drink. I would always say to myself "I don't need alcohol to have fun, its pointless". Well, suffice to say, I wasn't having any fun then and I have had fun lots of times in the past few months. If I turned down invites by coworkers to a bar like I probably would have in the past, I would have missed out on many chances for social interaction.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
:agree - I only started drinking alcohol myself. I managed to space the drinks out long enough that I don't become drunk at all. That part was shocking to me, because I never thought I would be able to handle so much alcohol!

I would have to admit that since I started drinking casually (and not really that frequent), I have panic attacks thinking I would become a full-fledged alcoholic :eek. However, I make sure there is plenty of time (like weeks) between "sets," so I don't have to worry as much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts