Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you respond to strangers when they say "hello", "good morning", or "how are you".

Sometimes people say "hello" to me and I just stare at them. I remember one time I completely ignored this woman who was greeting people at a store entrance. I walked inside, she looked at me, said hello. I looked straight ahead and kept walking without even looking at her.

I notice that store cashiers like to say "how are you?" I ignore them too. I don't feel so bad about ignoring them because I know they just say that because they are told to do so.

·
Xtina Fan
193 Posts
All I say is "Hi" and then walk away real quick lol.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I usually say something. Of course, because I'm nervous, it's said in an ultra soft voice, so I'm not even sure they hear it, but I say something. I would hate to be ignored if I had said something to someone.

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,582 Posts
I try to respond, but usually freeze up and just give them an awkward half-glance.

I manage "fine" in response to "how are you?" at checkout lines, because it's predictable, not random like elsewhere.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do you respond to strangers when they say "hello", "good morning", or "how are you".
I usually just mumble a greeting back. I'm always afraid they'll have been greeting someone else (someone they actually do know) so my response will just make me look even more stupid than I already feel.

I notice that store cashiers like to say "how are you?" I ignore them too. I don't feel so bad about ignoring them because I know they just say that because they are told to do so.
I don't have a problem with that. I know they're greeting me, and I know they're doing it because it's store policy, so I just give a standard response.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I do but I usually just "mumble" or nod at the "good mornings", and "hellos". When cashiers, ask "How are you", I alway say "Good, thanks" but I never mean it. I used to a long time ago but I honestly can't remember the last time I was sincere in that answer.

·
Monster
6,552 Posts
Depends on my mood. While walking Tucker, I am almost always greeted when passing another walker (serious flaw of Minnesotans) and it usually annoys the hell out of me. You do your thing and leave me alone, please.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I mumble back a "hello" or something and smile. I pretty much expect my greeting to not be heard at all, so I have to add in a smile.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I mumble back a "hello" or something and smile. I pretty much expect my greeting to not be heard at all, so I have to add in a smile.
Same! I especially feel bad at the checkout counter when they ask me how I am (not that most care) and I mumble something barely audible back.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sometimes I don't say anything but I try an awkward smile. If I do respond, I don't speak very loud. It's worst at the gym where sometimes they say hi and bye as I'm entering/leaving. Sometimes sound leaves my mouth, other times my lips make the shape for the sound, especially "bye", but not a peep of sound actually happens. It's worse than ignoring them. It's really odd I just sometimes can't make the sound happen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I usually say 'hi' to people first and feel really good when someone says 'hi' to me, cuz that often doesnt happen...sometimes I don't respond by accident because I tend to shut out the world when Im in busy places.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Usually I try to respond but I can't ever maintain eye contact. There are so many times I say hello to or smile at the ground :-/

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I say hi back. Sometimes I'm even the first to say hi, like when I think the person is going to say hi and they're really nice or whatever. I say hi to a lot of old people, haha. I like to be polite. And I always make eye contact. I'm really good at it and actually find it kinda comforting...which I know coming from someone with social anxiety sounds strange but it's the truth, haha.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts

Sometimes people say "hello" to me and I just stare at them. I remember one time I completely ignored this woman who was greeting people at a store entrance. I walked inside, she looked at me, said hello. I looked straight ahead and kept walking without even looking at her.

I usually say "I'm fine thanks and how are you?" and most of the time no one responds back. It's weird. It makes me wonder why I bother to say anything.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts