Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel bad when random people talk to you and you don't know what to say?

I had a moment a couple weeks ago. I was out with my family and we stopped to get a drink at a coffee shop. I saw a fly buzzing around behind the glass where the baked goods were kept. I pointed it out to my family how disgusting that was. There was a girl around my age behind me who joined in and said that it was gross too. She asked me if I saw it and I nodded and said, "Yeah, that's pretty gross." She stated again how gross it was and I felt kinda bad. I had this moment where I thought, "Maybe she wanted to talk to me? Should I talk to her? I don't really know what to say... It's kinda embarrassing because I'm out with my family." I don't know. I just felt bad that I couldn't think of anything to say back to her to continue the conversation.

I was kinda kicking myself after too because that's the sort of thing I always wish would happen to me. That someone would start a conversation with me and we'd have a chat and possibly hit it off and could potentially be friends. Except when it did happen I completely blanked out. *sigh*

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Yes I get what you mean, I think I come across really rude and aloof to people who try to make any small talk. I usually give a short answer or nod my head and make my escape, makes me feel bad too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
:)

And the worst feeling is sometimes knowing that you've upset them because you've come across as unfriendly... and you'd give anything to let them know that not only are you not unfriendly, but you would also really like to talk to them! Alas.

Hug?

x

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@NightFlier Y'know, it's weird, but I've been told a couple times by people after they got to know me that they thought I was really snobby... I never really understood it. It kinda makes sense now.

@robtyl :) *hugs* Exactly. I think the sad part is that I still can't think of a reply to give her. heh.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yeah. Since I'm a laconical person, I try to stretch what I'm saying and add something to it. There's times where people make a comment and I just scoff at the idea. Usually I'll add something to what they said, even if its not so big like a "that's funny".

Reply with anything, even an ok or a short laugh. I understand what you mean because I've blanked out as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
With me I might say something back but I would keep it short. Inside I might want to chat more but I just can't. Not right off the bat. I have to really know someone before they see the real me in public .

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Only if they have something off-putting to say, like the "sunburn" on my face, or they ask me how much I weigh...and when I say I weigh 2 lbs, they look at me like their shocked and appalled. If someone is nice and ask how my day is, I'll talk back, but that's a rarity.

·
Severed member
2,972 Posts
No, just annoyed. I try to project myself as unapproachable, but sometimes people dont take the hint. Im not an *** to them though, but just hope the interaction will end asap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.