Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it annoy you, or weird you out?

It bugs me, and it also weirds me out they got the guts to do such thing because I tried that in high school and either I got called out on it, or everybody would move.

·
blob
1,221 Posts
do you mean like you had your spot/bench that you would go to everyday at school? and then other people started sitting there? cuz yea, i find that weird and annoying

but if u mean just like sitting at a bench at a park one day and someone happens to sit there, i find it uncomfortable and awkward, but not annoying.

·
Annoyed Kitty
2,076 Posts
Like a bench in the park that has more space for other people to sit? Isn't that what they are suppose to do?

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
When I used to go to the mall (just for something to do), I'd sometimes sit on a bench and people-watch. A few times, a random stranger would sit down on it next to me - so annoying - violation of my personal bubble (which, granted, is larger than the average person's personal bubble, I'm sure).

Even worse: There was one occasion where my dad and I were sitting and talking at a 4-seat table in the food court, when this random woman came out of nowhere and sat down with us. Like, what the mother-of-all-f*** do you think you're doing, lady? I don't know what planet you're from, but people don't do that here!!!

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I believe that extroverted people think that by sitting next to other people they are sort of teaming up with them. Perversely, and somewhat unbelievably, and outlandishly, and inconceivable when it comes to the heart of it, in the minds of people such as us, they actually think they are being friendly.
Which is nice and all (really), but in public, I am way too uptight and ridden with anxiety to handle that very well, so my reaction is always more along the lines of, "Oh my GOD, get the F*** AWAY from me RIGHT NOW. NOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!"

Credit to them for trying, though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3 seat leather sofa on this isolated spot where I work... It's my spot, I'm there every day, but said nothing to avoid looking mean. I let them stay, but I like being alone listening to my music, playing sudoku, I'm a solitary person. I wish I wasn't, but I feel people are cold and unwelcoming, and I feel bad becoming what used to anger me. I learned my lesson in high school, these were adults violating my space

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like a bench in the park that has more space for other people to sit? Isn't that what they are suppose to do?
No... Even if it were, it'd be alright with me if the bench was of certain size keeping them a good distance away from me

·
slave
4,382 Posts
I never really cared, especially since they'd always sit on the opposite end of where I was at and just minded their own business.

I'd often get super annoyed, however, when I had to take the bus and there'd always be people who insisted on sitting next to me. Even when I tried to discourage them. They usually reeked of booze, cigarette, or body odor. Or they were just straight up nuts. (Like the crazy religious nutbags who tried to proselytize everyone on the bus, driver included, and handed out pamphlets.) I'd often end up giving my seat to them and just find some place else to sit or just stand the rest of the trip.

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
annoying, yea. but go right back to the spot you were sitting and own that ****er. spread ur legs out nice and wide when u sit down. the goal here is to return the favor to the person who annoyed you. annoy them back.

take loud, fake yawns. fake cough a lot. stuff like that. :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
annoying, yea. but go right back to the spot you were sitting and own that ****er. spread ur legs out nice and wide when u sit down. the goal here is to return the favor to the person who annoyed you. annoy them back.

take loud, fake yawns. fake cough a lot. stuff like that. :p
I'm a serious person, so that repels many. I smoke, play music loudly (mainly 80's metal) which seems to annoy many casual people. I stretch my legs across, they still had the nerve to sit, but I'll try bit more obnoxious repelling techniques ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to one of my favorite restaurants to eat recently (King Taco), and I was basically forced to share seats with, and sit close to lots of random strangers.... Individual tables were removed, and family sized were installed!

I ordered my food to go!

I wasn't gonna deal with this!

·
Registered
27 Posts
People at work always do this and it annoys me so much. I'll be sitting alone and they come to my table, even though all the other ones are empty. It always seems to be the few individuals I can't tolerate the most too

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't sit alone on benches at the parks so it doesn't happen so much. But I did once last month wating for some friends and it was enough for it to happen. The dude even greeted me (because I was looking at him), and I just thought to myself "yeah sit here but I'm not gonna interact". So we just stood there until my friends came. And I left staring at my friend and not even thinking of looking at him again. I just looked at him when he got there.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That would be weird if that happened where I live. Thank god my country abhors interactions between strangers in public places.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts