Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and it's one of those times that you actually know that they're joking, do you still get accused of taking it seriously, even though you aren't?

Also, do people make it look like you overreact or get defensive, even when you feel you aren't?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes it happens. It's very annoying but most of the time it's just a misunderstanding and the air is cleared in no time.

Well there are times when I do overreact and it's pretty much justified when I do. Other time, people who don't know me well usually get perplexed when they think I'm overreacting when I'm actually not but since they are people who don't know me well, so I don't take it too seriously.

·
agoraphobic daydreaming
76 Posts
glad I caught this post.

Last night, I was jokingly accused of not standing up for myself during a situation where I wasn't even being attacked (except by the 'accuser'). I laughed it off and everyone calmed down.

What i felt like saying: "you know what, jerkoff? I've had a brick**** day and your attempt at derailing my already wobbling braintrain is making me want to bust your smartmouth all over this counter."

OP, I hear you.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Someone recently expressed perplexity that I got upset when they made fun of something very sensitive to me, and said I made it look like it was "all their fault" that I was upset. Considering that they'd deliberately mocked me publicly over a weakness of mine, I figured me getting upset was actually a reasonable response, but I guess not. :|

I very frequently seem to get people, including family, getting angry with me for getting upset about ANYTHING, big or small, so I've rather gotten the impression that I'm just not expected to react in a negative manner whatsoever, I'm expected to just take whatever crap people throw at me. Whenever I bother to stand up for myself, it p*sses people off and I'm accused of "overreacting" or being "hysterical." (My username became a synonym for "hysterical person" on a forum I was once trolled off of. I was literally being criticized left and right by the regulars, and somebody anonymously signed up and started posting "TAKE THE BOARD BACK FROM TEHUTI" messages over and over and over...when I got upset I was called hysterical. Another time a guy online asked me if I wanted to "hook up"; I know only one meaning of that phrase and so politely told him I wasn't interested and it wouldn't work out. He then proceeded to lambaste me for taking him seriously--he really flew off the handle, accusing me of being unable to take "a joke"--and then stopped all friendly chattering with me. :| I could go on and on.)

So...I don't know. I know I do overreact a lot, but there have been so many times it was at least partly warranted, but according to everyone else I just freak out over "nothing."

I honestly feel I wouldn't "overreact" so much if I were allowed to react negatively without people accusing me of being too sensitive EVERY time it happens. I feel the fact that I've had it pounded into me that I'm just supposed to put up with other people treating me like crap has made me take things worse than I should...ironically. :/ Having my feelings and reactions minimized so much over the years has made me very bitter. Like I have no right to get upset.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If someone dared to tell me not to take somthing seriously I would say - If I were that type of person I wouldnt have tipped your Mom even though she didnt swallow. Then I'd pat the person on the shoulder like a protective brother does to his little brother and say - dont take it to seriously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts