Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it only when people are talking to you? or do you even get anxitey when you are surrounded by ppl but dont have to talk, like going to the mall alone for example. do you get nervous around strangers or only people you know or see everyday, like classmates.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My anxiety kicks in when I'm anticipating something very social, like meeting new people or going to a job interview. That's pretty much the start of it. After that, it just gets steadily worse! lol I'm seriously a nervous wreck sometimes.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Only when meeting new people, or meeting with people who aren't "comfortable." I'm cool with big places with lots of people (the mall, clubs, whatever) because they're not personal.

·
serious
340 Posts
Confrontation mainly, disagreement, arguement, negotiation, in my face anger etc.

·
Registered
611 Posts
When knowing that how I do socially will result in judgement that has an effect, like interviews or talking to acquaintance. I actually do pretty well with meeting new people since whether they like you or not doesn't matter too much, since nothing is invested yet. It's the stage between close and stranger that I get the most nervous in.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Around everyone, but to varying degrees. I'm not going to start shaking just because there are people around me if their attention isn't on me, but I'm a lot less comfortable than I would be if there were no one around. I'm constantly tense and concerned about how I move and act. Sometimes I get more comfortable with people I've talked to before, sometimes less. I used to be pretty much unable to talk to unfamiliar people (I'd cry, shake, not get words out) but now it might be easier to talk to someone if I don't expect to see them again.

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
Even thinking about going out my door! Thinking about watching a movie over and over again<same with music. My therapist just diagnosed me with OCD,I feel totally obsessed with commiting a movie or song to memory by watching it over and over again, then if I cant see it cause they arent playing it on the tv I get extremely anxious!! Even thinking about going to the store< have to go grocery shopping< I get very sweaty, ill,headaches,red cheeks,anxious and alot more. I have not been to a mall in over 16 years now, cannot even think about it without getting a panic attack! :( Takes all my nerve and strength to even go to my therapists office, I have to make sure the hallway is empty or I stand and wait coming and going...she even helps by looking in the hall for me.
Have not been to a family function since I dont know when, just cannot get myself to actually go! I have NO friends, and do not want any, even thinking on that makes me anxious! I would rather be left alone. When I do have to go into the grocery store I do not go down an aisle with people in it, I back track alot to aisles once they are empty, I have to wipe down my cart ,carry my own wipes for it. Do not touch door knobs with my bare hands, hold my breath when I have to walk past people.....Sorry I go on and on dont mean to. i will stop there
enough about me, what about other people?? anyone have to go through that ??? :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I could experience bad anxiety pretty much anywhere with people - just going to convenience stores, malls or to get a haircut used to be very challenging. School was crazy bad. If I was asked something in class most of the time I would not be able to say anything. I used to ski alot but could not ski under the lifts because I felt people where watching. It is not that extreme now but still having a lot of issues with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My face gets these weird hot flashes that are itchy and sparky when someone says something to me or approaches me; especially females cuz i always feel like they judge me more than males will :/

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
I have some "background anxiety" that's there pretty much all the time no matter where I am. Even sitting alone at home I can get uneasy. Social situations ramp up the anxiety. How much depends on the situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It only gets really severe and panic attack inducing when I'm anticipating something. Meeting someone for the first time, or someone I know but I don't know if I can trust, job interviews, anything where I'll be "on display" and might be judged by someone.

In general it's always there though - if I'm sitting on a bus I'm scared because what if my music is too loud, what if someone talks to me, what if I look stupid etc etc. I cross the road if someone is approaching me from the other direction on the side I'm currently walking on because I'm scared they might say hello. I avoid going to the supermarket, I avoid answering the phone/making calls... yeah.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts