Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Kind of a freak
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have thought about this for awhile, it may sound stupid but where is the line between an acquaintance and a friend? I have one friend, who I absolutely never see. I have two kinda friends, (one who I don't even think likes me, and one who I have not very much in common with) who I also never see. I yesterday talked to a coworker for the first time, and we 'clicked' instantly. I haven't had that with anybody in YEARS, we talked our entire break and when we had some downtime too. We had so much in common it was like it was a friendship meant to be already! I hope he is there for me to talk to again, and this SINGLE DAY of talking to somebody is the closest thing I have made to making a friend that I would actually see in person.

But I JUST met him so he falls into 'acquaintance' category and I think he would consider me the same. But I would borderline consider him my friend already because I have so, so few - and NONE I see in person. But what level of talking to somebody does an acquaintance become a friend? It may sound like a stupid question, but I really don't know.

·
Shaking babies
667 Posts
I think an acquaintance becomes a friend when you start hanging out with him more. Like an acquaintance is somebody you say a few words when you meet him, but never really spend much time with. A friend is somebody with whom you talk to often and hang out in different places, not just work. I think that person you met at work still couldn't be considered your friend, no matter how few of them you have. That's not a bad thing, because it's not that often you can become real friends after just chatting for a while during a break at work. If he also enjoyed the conversation, he will probably be there. After a while it might develop into a friendship, but now it's still the acquaintance territory.

·
text ghost
717 Posts
It's not a stupid question. I agree with Radical-- I think time is important. Yes, it's vague to say, "wait this specific amount of time to change his label to friend", but idk. Also there's work friends, who you connect really well with at work but never see in your personal life, so that's yet another layer, eheh.
If it was me, I'd determine that they are a work friend after about a month, and a personal friend, still about a month. If your interactions are a lot shorter, maybe more time *shrug*

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
When you call/communicate with each other with some relative frequency outside of whatever venue you guys know each other from and hang out every so often.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I believe an acquaintance becomes a friend when the both of you hang out more and mostly have a one on one conversation with each other and share whatever means a lot to you. That's how I became close friends with this girl. Until we got comfortable around each other and we both realize that we are not judgmental towards each other. It was really cool for me to meet someone like her. I really wish there were a lot of people who aren't so judgmental but sadly there are too many of them. Makes me feel like I won't be able to make any other friends. I guess this is why humans feel hopeless at times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts