Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is in reference to someone from the opposite gender. I think 'like' is quite a broad term and I was wondering how casual or serious people treat the word. I ask this because often people will ask me if I like a girl, and I don't know how to respond because I'm not sure what exactly defines 'like'.

For me, I tend to think of like as in you spending a decent amount of time with a girl, getting to know her better, wanting to be with her, thinking about her when she's not around, getting excited when you see her log on IM.. wondering if she would message you, or thinking carefully about what you want to say to them; getting excited to receive a call, or a text from her, getting a little jealous if other guys show an interest in her or if she shows an interest in other guys, etc. As such, I can probably say that I've only ever 'liked' about 5 girls ever in my life.

However, I see a lot of guys will just throw the term around very casually, saying that they like a girl that they just met and pretty much know nothing about. Do you think like is simply used to describe liking a girl (or guy)'s appearance enough to create a desire to want to know more about them? Perhaps what I'm describing is not like, but love?

All my life, I've met quite a few pretty girls, but because they either a) have a boyfriend already or b) I didn't get the opportunity to hang with them more and get to know them better, I never really considered myself as liking them

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yeah I would say that I like someone as a friend if I enjoy chatting to them, and we get on, but that I really "like" them if I do the stuff you mentioned, like getting excited when they come online or message me, and if I think about them when they're not there, and get jealous at the thought of them liking someone else. I can go from like to "like" really fast though, as in like a day or two, which I don't think is normal and could be related to my potential Aspergers, as I do tend to have an obsessive personality.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Depends on the person.

One guy might 'like' a girl only after he's talked to her and gotten to know her.

Another guy will 'like' a girl the moment he lay eyes on her because he likes what he sees.

Same definition, different triggers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts