Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
I think I was in grade 2 or 3 and the school I was going to had bought the Adam computer system that had a couple of games with it (on some kind of data cassettes, of all things). This was early 80s. I didn't play them much but I did play them.

Couple years later someone I knew had a new Atari 2600 and I became addicted to Missile Command and had to have one. I don't know when that was. Maybe 1984.

Ones I played a lot...

Missile Command
Chopper Command
SeaQuest
Berzerk

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
41,964 Posts
Well we got a ps1 when I was 7 I think, but I might have played some before then. Considering that was the most excited I've ever been I guess I must have known about video games before then. But the exact first time I found them I dunno. I used to play puzzle bobble on arcade machines a lot but that might have been after age 7 too, my memory before then about a lot of things is somewhat hazy like I have a handful of memories but not as consistent.

The first game I remember playing on the ps1 was Spyro the Dragon, but before playing that my dad started playing Abes Odyssey but then switched to Spyro because he seemed to decide it was more age appropriate I think (also the intro was disturbing lol.) Then again he showed me the Mr Creosote scene from Monty Python around that time, so he was an inconsistent judge of that.

I remember wishing my dad played more I guess so we could bond over that, but aside from that I didn't like watching people play games and preferred playing them. So I would sometimes hog the ps1 and because my brother always liked watching people play games, he sometimes didn't care. Then got into watching streamers etc later, he said I was the first one he watched haha.

Oh yeah and I'm pretty sure I played a game on an Acorn computer before that, it was the same year at school anyway. (There was one computer in the class, and we would have to share it in groups of 2 and pairs would have to alternate on different days, I can't remember if it was like a reward or something or not now.)

Also we had this computer at one point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_System/2

and there was some game that was a bit like Tetris but 3D, I always forget the name of, that I used to play.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,803 Posts
I have very vague memories of my older cousin having an Atari and NES. I guess it would've been maybe 1988 when I got an NES. I remember having a system called the Action Max around that same time too. You played a VHS and stuck a sensor to the TV that supposedly tracked what you shot at while the VHS played.

In my early NES I remember playing Mario obviously, Final Fantasy 1, Zelda, Maniac Mansion, Base Wars, some three stooges game, Fester's Quest, Rockin' Cats, and Dragon Warrior off the top of my head.

Then my grandpa got a Famicom somehow soon after that. He had this game that had a bunch of games in one. I remember one was called Super Fancy Bros and it was the first Mario from NES except it was 2x speed and everything was shifted. Like you could see a hole in the ground, but you could walk over it and then a few steps you'd fall in it even though it looked like solid ground. I don't know what the point of it was.

And then my dad got me a Playchoice 10 arcade machine in the early 90's that had Double Dragon, Contra, Mike Tyson's Punchout, Wild Gunman, and Rad Racer on it. He had the guy make it where you didn't have to put quarters in to play.

Then I also had a Tandy computer in the late 80's with some games on it like Zork. Can't remember what else.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
When I was very young my parents bought me "Treasure Mountain" and "Reader Rabbit" for our Windows PC. My dad also had an Atari 2600 which he'd let me play sometimes. Then when I was about 5 or 6 my grandmother bought me a Nintendo Entertainment System, and I was hooked. Although I didn't do much PC gaming until my cousin introduced me to "Command & Conquer: Red Alert" when I was about 11 or 12.

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
And then my dad got me a Playchoice 10 arcade machine in the early 90's that had Double Dragon, Contra, Mike Tyson's Punchout, Wild Gunman, and Rad Racer on it. He had the guy make it where you didn't have to put quarters in to play.
That must have cost a lot back then. Do you remember how much it was?

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,572 Posts
1984, playing Pac-Man on the Atari 400.

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
Speaking of the Nintendo NES, I clearly remember when I first saw one of those in a store. I had not even had my Atari 2600 for very long (I have always been late to the party and that was no exception) and I saw this thing in the store. The display was very impressive, as I recall. I don't quite remember everything about it but it was the first time I'd ever seen anything like that in a large glass case the way it was. And it might be hard to believe now but it looked very futuristic at the time. Compared to what had come before, it was.

I think I actually asked my mother for one and she laughed so loud people thought something was wrong with her. :lol

·
SAS Member
14,408 Posts
A long time ago in the late 70s far far away I saw my cousin play his Coleco vision when we visited our grand parents for Christmas and later Mom got us one that next Xmas and it started from there. Then me and my friends rented Nintendo consoles and games and played at the arcades and my Dad got us a Nes so we played that a lot. And on and on until ps2 when i stopped playing console games altogether and became a member of the pc master race, i guess.

·
Banned
575 Posts
I was a kid and discovered the NES and SNES through my brother. I remember a LOT of Zelda, a link to the past. I got to know a lot more about the Super Nintendo than the original Nintendo. I still got to know about Punch-out, Pac-man, Mario 2, Megaman V (which I love), Metroid and a few more titles.
As for the SNES. I got to love RPGs and got into Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and some of Breath of Fire. Super Mario RPG, Legend of the Seven Stars.
Donkey Kong Country 2 is one of my favorite games for the super nintendo. Anyway, great memories.

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
^ That reminds me. I really enjoyed Metroid at the time. I don't remember if I ever actually had my own NES or not (if I did it was probably when they were no longer the it console) but I knew some people who had one and I remember playing Metroid for many hours.

·
SAS Member
14,408 Posts
^ That reminds me. I really enjoyed Metroid at the time. I don't remember if I ever actually had my own NES or not (if I did it was probably when they were no longer the it console) but I knew some people who had one and I remember playing Metroid for many hours.
I fell in love with that game right away. I remember renting a Nintendo and Metroid and Karnov at the video club and i played the game all day until i finished it. And the ending blew my mind when i saw all that time I was playing with a girl lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nintendo 64. Mario was my first real gaming experience. Been obsessed ever since.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,803 Posts
That must have cost a lot back then. Do you remember how much it was?
No, I have no idea. Was only about 10 years old at the time. I remember going to pick it up. My dad was friends with the guy that owned the local Diary Queen and we went to a building next door to it. He had quite a few different arcade machines in it. Knowing my dad he probably traded car parts or did some welding for the guy in exchange for it.

I still have it. The screen has become discolored, but everything still works. I've thought about getting so more games for it since it holds 10 and only has 5. There's lots on ebay, but they are pretty expensive now. Most are around $150 each.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
customusertitle
740 Posts

This game is almost as old as I am. Not sure when I was playing it :con

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,856 Posts
These I think were very first games I remembered playing/watching.

·
Socializing with myself
4,962 Posts
1998 - My father always took me to Brooklyn Chinatown arcade. I always played games like Raiden shooter and similar games for it. I also played Street Fighter and Marvel VS Capcom. I was five years old at the time trading Pokemon cards.

1998 - My mom got me a Game Boy Color. I had games like Battle toshinden, Street fighter 2 and Pokemon yellow.

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
Random funny scene. Sometime in the mid-90s I'm watching some guy I know play that board on Castlevania where the skeletons throw bones at you.

Guy I know is partway through that board and just stops in front of one of the skeletons and just stands there.

Me - "He's gonna throw a bone at you"

Him - "Let him throw a bone at me. I don't care"

·
Terminator
13,154 Posts
My first gaming experience was on my mum's DOS computer way back when I was little. I forgot what my very first video game was now, haha. :)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
It was 1985. I was 5, and my younger brother and I went over to my neighbour's house because he wanted to show us his Atari 2600. My neighbour was probably around 9-10. It was actually really nice of him to show us kindergarten kids his video game. I remember playing Pac-Man especially, but there were a couple other games as well. I remember being awed by the Atari Joystick.

About a year later my cousins, who were also much older (10-12), showed me and my brother "Donkey Kong Jr."--on a Black and White TV. I remember they used a floppy disk to play it.

I don't remember my first arcade experience, but I do remember playing a lot of "Spy Hunter" back in 1987/88, whenever my family went grocery shopping. We were new to Canada at the time. It was incredibly difficult getting a quarter out of my folks so I could play the arcade games. 50 cents? forget it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts