Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with a book....

It's "The Little Book of Calm"...

Only joking. I just got this book about changing thinking errors, I really like it, it's very good and all that, however I have a little problem with one of them:

Am I Placing a Value on Myself as a Whole Person on the Basis of One Event? Or Even a String of Events?

and then the author goes on to pose a series of questions meant to counter the erroneous thought/belief, one of which is this:

"Is it helpful and realistic to think that my value as a person is dependent on what I do, or fail to do?"

What if I'm Bernie Madoff? Ok, extreme example. What if I'm someone who has just till-tapped at my retail job? Even if it's just $20? What if I've made promises to my friends, only to let them down, let's say, 5 times? And then I deliver on, say, 3 promises, then fail to deliver on a subsequent 3 promises? What then? The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour, right? I think some of my value as a person certainly depends on some things I do, and some things I may fail to do. Right? Anyone?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I actually don't think the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior because there are minor changes in circumstances even if the overall situation appears similar. Also people gain experience, maturity, new outlooks. They change their minds, join new religons, get into toxic environments, etc.. There are sides to people already there but not exposed or known yet.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange and pretend your laughing at it.

In life you are your own expierence!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts