Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting past my SA, well atleast im not afraid or 'anxious' to be around people anymore, i still cant talk or have a conversation but it doesnt get to me to much, but around the same time i started to get over my SA i started to feel different, my head felt different, i can look at my hand, and i know its my hand and if i feel it its seems fine, but i feel disconnected, i feel like im viewing everything from a third person view. Everything looks the same but seems different to me, im relaxed about it but it has been going on for about 3 months now, does anyone now what im talking about?

·
Registered
582 Posts
If your taking any medications they can lead to a disconnected feeling other than that i'm not sure what to say.

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
I think i heard about that before.. i think it's something called disasociative disorder or something! A mental illness. You can tell your doctor about it & the doctor can diagnose you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope, no medications! infact i never do i just dont like them, i wouldnt even take a painkiller for a headache if i ever got one. Some people are saying its the meditation im doing, maybe, could it be spending to much time jacked into this world (computer, internet) ?? i do spend allot of time on here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've felt something similar before, I think. Kind of like I'm even more clearly aware of the world around me, but I feel like I'm being swept away by it all. I'm still myself but my body feels disconnected from my mind and I'm going through my day and everything feels so unreal. That's the best I can put it into words. Certainly like a 3rd person point of view.

Since you said you are getting over your SA, it may be that you feel more involved in the world perhaps? Even though you're not talking to anyone, you're maybe less stuck in your head and focused on reality.

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
depersonalization disorder, which is a dissociative disorder. Maybe derealization

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've felt something similar before, I think. Kind of like I'm even more clearly aware of the world around me, but I feel like I'm being swept away by it all. I'm still myself but my body feels disconnected from my mind and I'm going through my day and everything feels so unreal. That's the best I can put it into words. Certainly like a 3rd person point of view.

Since you said you are getting over your SA, it may be that you feel more involved in the world perhaps? Even though you're not talking to anyone, you're maybe less stuck in your head and focused on reality.
Makes alot of sense, thanks

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Do you feel as if you're living in a dream, or that the world looks like it's all on a movie screen? Do you ever feel a numbing of emotions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you feel as if you're living in a dream, or that the world looks like it's all on a movie screen? Do you ever feel a numbing of emotions?
yup, yup and yup, and its getting worse, and after looking into it more and scanning through you tube vids i think i have what you are thinking....

derealization and/or depersonalization which are dissociative disorders and are supposed to be completely normal (?) for someone who has anxiety disorders, Im only a month into realizing that my whole life i suffer from SA and now this, its a bit much to comprehend right now, i need to lie down lol.

It can make me go from really scared to feeling really out of touch with reality and whats real and whats not, very much like a dream alright! I duno what ill do, im off to a music college soon , to be specific ill be in a room up close and personal with 20+ music students in a studio for the next year and this isnt going to stop me , if im not with it i dont care, if i make people think about me or maybe weirded out by my behaviour i dont care! like allot of people here i got dealth crappy cards, i just gota play them right :sus

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
yup, yup and yup, and its getting worse, and after looking into it more and scanning through you tube vids i think i have what you are thinking....

derealization and/or depersonalization which are dissociative disorders and are supposed to be completely normal (?) for someone who has anxiety disorders, Im only a month into realizing that my whole life i suffer from SA and now this, its a bit much to comprehend right now, i need to lie down lol.

It can make me go from really scared to feeling really out of touch with reality and whats real and whats not, very much like a dream alright! I duno what ill do, im off to a music college soon , to be specific ill be in a room up close and personal with 20+ music students in a studio for the next year and this isnt going to stop me , if im not with it i dont care, if i make people think about me or maybe weirded out by my behaviour i dont care! like allot of people here i got dealth crappy cards, i just gota play them right :sus
You must get help immediately. I've been living with this condition chronically for over ten years now, although mine was caused by emotional abuse, not anxiety. Get in touch with a professional, if you can. And remember, you are NOT going crazy, it's just your brain trying to shut out the world in order to cope with fear. DP is, in almost every case, a symptom caused by another disorder or trauma. You must deal with the root cause in order for it to go away.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You must get help immediately. I've been living with this condition chronically for over ten years now, although mine was caused by emotional abuse, not anxiety. Get in touch with a professional, if you can. And remember, you are NOT going crazy, it's just your brain trying to shut out the world in order to cope with fear. DP is, in almost every case, a symptom caused by another disorder or trauma. You must deal with the root cause in order for it to go away.
Im a very open guy, so im not afraid to do what i have to do to help myself, but i dont know what to do? i went to a physiatrist 2 weeks ago for advise on SA and she was not much help tbh, she said 'youve set goals and you seem to be doing ok for now' but she did advise me to maybe go for proper sessions after college, which im not putting off, how bad will this get? its pretty scary as it is :| i just try pretend its not happening half the time :(

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Im a very open guy, so im not afraid to do what i have to do to help myself, but i dont know what to do? i went to a physiatrist 2 weeks ago for advise on SA and she was not much help tbh, she said 'youve set goals and you seem to be doing ok for now' but she did advise me to maybe go for proper sessions after college, which im not putting off, how bad will this get? its pretty scary as it is :| i just try pretend its not happening half the time :(
Do you experience it constantly, or does it come in episodes? If it's set off by events that are particularly anxiety inducing, then ridding yourself of SA should alleviate the DP, obviously. Many people find help in benzos, but you should research them before getting into all that. There's really nothing besides medication that can "cure" it. All I can tell you to do is research more about it. Check out this website, it has a lot of info and a fairly active forum.

www.dpselfhelp.com

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you experience it constantly, or does it come in episodes? If it's set off by events that are particularly anxiety inducing, then ridding yourself of SA should alleviate the DP, obviously. Many people find help in benzos, but you should research them before getting into all that. There's really nothing besides medication that can "cure" it. All I can tell you to do is research more about it. Check out this website, it has a lot of info and a fairly active forum.

www.dpselfhelp.com
Its constantly to be honest, sometimes im relaxed about it but sometimes i get really anxious about it. I think i brought this on more by being a hermit for the last year i really didnt go outside much, i dont use medication at all so thats not an option, i think as hard as it is im going to have to tackle this head on, the timing of this is so annoying, i want to be head strong, ready and able for the next year for college and i feel like thats going to be a big challenge...

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Its constantly to be honest, sometimes im relaxed about it but sometimes i get really anxious about it. I think i brought this on more by being a hermit for the last year i really didnt go outside much, i dont use medication at all so thats not an option, i think as hard as it is im going to have to tackle this head on, the timing of this is so annoying, i want to be head strong, ready and able for the next year for college and i feel like thats going to be a big challenge...
Fortunately for you, the severity of the symptoms shouldn't increase. In fact, they should diminish over the next couple of months if your case is typical. You believe it was caused by your lifestyle of being a hermit; did you experience any kind of emotional trauma during this time? Did the symptoms come about gradually, or was it a sudden onset?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
traumatized? i cant really think of anything that might have made me other than where i used to work, in a call centre (3 years) and it was becoming unbearable, i hated the place, and my SA in that place in the middle of 200 folks on the floor was extreme, i could handle the customers on the phones (that is if anyone i ranked 'better' than me was not near me) but i could not get the confidence to speak to most of the work colleagues in the place, i could talk to my friends outside but in that place my SA was crazy i found myself looking at the ground allot, it was physically torturing me to be there, but the reason i did for so long was because my goal (college) was in sight so i hung in there... so if anything triggered my DP it was that place, but im out of there over a month now....forever :boogie

Does this effect your attention to people in general and short term memory or is this just me lol

·
Just chilling
223 Posts
Im getting past my SA, well atleast im not afraid or 'anxious' to be around people anymore, i still cant talk or have a conversation but it doesnt get to me to much, but around the same time i started to get over my SA i started to feel different, my head felt different, i can look at my hand, and i know its my hand and if i feel it its seems fine, but i feel disconnected, i feel like im viewing everything from a third person view. Everything looks the same but seems different to me, im relaxed about it but it has been going on for about 3 months now, does anyone now what im talking about?
Wow I feel the same alot of the time, I didn't know how to describe it. Sometimes I feel like i'm in control of this useless meatbag that is myself, kind of like 3rd person. Though it's not a bad feeling, I feel alot calmer than I used to.

and it links to something else i'm not sure how to describe, a thought that makes me feel unhuman, kind of seeing past the barrier of what I am; and it makes me realize how insignificant life is. But not in a bad way, it makes me feel enlightened, and its helped me get over my old ways of thinking.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Does this effect your attention to people in general and short term memory or is this just me lol
It's hard for me to feel a connection with most people; they're simply "there" to me, almost like store mannequins mouthing words. Sometimes I feel no need to respond to someone unless I'm asked a direct question. It depends on the person though, some people I'm still able to feel deeply connected to.

The memory thing is weird. Do you ever feel like all your memories are jumbled together? It's like memories all "feel" the same, as if something that happened years ago could have happened yesterday. Concentration is also affected for me too, for example I can watch a movie, but won't be able to tell you half of what went on during it, or be able to remember any quotes.

and it links to something else i'm not sure how to describe, a thought that makes me feel unhuman, kind of seeing past the barrier of what I am; and it makes me realize how insignificant life is. But not in a bad way, it makes me feel enlightened, and its helped me get over my old ways of thinking.
I understand what you mean by "enlightenment", I feel the same. I suppose DP can have it's "good" side, letting you put life into perspective for example. It's allowed us to realize the insignificance and transitory nature of existence. Unfortunately, this is a truth I'd rather not know. Ignorance is bliss, after all, and I'd literally cut off one of my arms just to have it back. I can't regret it all though. If anything truly good has come from it, it's the much deeper appreciation of life I have now. Few people would understand this, how every sound, sight, and taste is infinitely precious and should be cherished. It feels as if I grasp the "essence" of life...or whatever. I'm just rambling now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
your not shadow, you speak allot of sense and thanks for the response ;)

What has me really confused though is...

Basically, i started practicing TM (Transcendental Meditation) 6 months ago which without a doubt is the main reason ive lost nearly all of my SA, but about 3 months ago and into my TM this DP started to develope :um Now at the time i thought i was being enlightened from meditating, i thought all this weirdness and disconnection was me 'developing my higher state of consciousness' which the TM promises to do! but hmm...

The only thing i can come up with is this might be happening even with the meditation is because of the meditation and the fact im connecting with myself and looking at myself consciously and unconsciously, maybe ive slowed down to the point where all this stress ive bottled up is all coming off me... in this extreme fashion? by getting through this storm of bottled up emotions and experiences if you understand what im trying to say?

I have not read into DP much or read enough threads on it yet, but can this go away for good? can you cure it, be back to normal totally?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts