Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, college was worse. For some reason, my social anxiety wasn't very severe when I was in middle school/high school. I went to the same school for about 6 years. But when I went to college something happened. Maybe the fact that I was in a new environment threw me off guard and triggered something; Maybe it was because I was now in a coed environment with new people. I used to participate in class discussion frequently in high school. But in college I was silent. Never raised my hand to ask a question.

Was college worse for you? Or high school? Or both equally bad?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
middle school was the prime SA development area if thats what your asking, but out of those two I would say high school.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
As far as the condition, it's been the same since elementary school.

As far as the environment, I found college better. No recess, so I don't need to compete to socialize. I could pick my own classes, I'm allowed to arrange my own schedule and if I run into people I don't like I'm not stuck with them like I would be in grades. Plus people are more mature so less likely to bully.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I disliked high school badly. It was tolerable mainly because I could escape at the end of the day and retreat home. High School was also not the real world. The restrictions made it a little easier. College was okay at first because I was around people constantly, there was no escape, so I sucked it up and told myself to stay focused on my goal. Then my roommate moved out and I was felt alone again. I had a lot of downtime and a lot of time to think. The more I was alone the worse and quicker my SA returned. I started going to class less. I even stopped going out to get food. I started living off the vending machine in the dorm. That's when I knew I was done, so I withdrew.

So, which was worse: 4 years of high school vs. 1/2 semester of college? Definitely college. (SA has gotten worse, feel worthless, and no big plans for the future.)

P.S. - Commuting was not an option for me

·
Registered
690 Posts
Even though I haven't started college yet I'm gonna say high school. I didn't receive any help until about december of senior year or know what my problem was until then. So I think with the progress I've made and knowing what my problem is will make college better. Plus the environment and people seem alot better. Im commuting too so I will have that chance to get away if I need to.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Highschool was much worse for me, hated lunch time and the social divisions, you were either a cool kid or you were the one that got harassed as you walked down the hall by the popular kids. College was by far better for me, most people were more mature and didn't bully or make you feel like an outcast. Sure there were still different social groups but they didn't seem intent on making other people miserable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in college now and honestly I just feel like killing myself. I won't, because I've never seriously given thought to suicide and wouldn't even have the courage if I wanted to, but the general feelings of wanting to just disappear are really affecting me. I'm in a single room sharing a common area with my suitemate, who probably thinks I'm a huge ******* because I never talk to him. I know some people but have no friends. I basically end up sitting in my room all night. At least in high school I went home and felt some type of familiarity and was around family...I'm finding college to be really difficult.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I really liked high school for the most part. I became a lot more confident during those four years. But now I'm at a college where I don't know anyone and I haven't managed to make any friends yet outside my roommates. And I'm finding having to do adult stuff on my own really sucks--setting my own doctor appointments, talking to financial aid people, etc. My mom used to be sort of an enabler of my SA so she'd call places for me if I bugged her enough. I really hope it gets better, though. Or maybe it'll just be like high school in that my first year will suck but the rest will be fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
College was the main source of my SA. I'm in co-op program too, which makes it worse. Being in a professional working environment where you are expected to behave in a certain manner and are constantly surrounded by authority figures is extremely anxiety provoking >_<.

·
Registered
418 Posts
College. Ruined my self-esteem, made my SA go up 10-fold, and overall a miserable experience. I want my 4th year to be different but the thought of talking to people makes me physically ill

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I'd say high school. It seems like you've got so much pressure and cliques, what you're wearing, who you're dating, what car you have, who you sit with at lunch, who is your friend/who isn't, etc.
College, to me, is much more laid back. If you're in a dorm and share your room, well, someone in your personal space can be annoying (anxiety triggering), but other than that, you're pretty much alone and left alone.

·
Banned
768 Posts
For me, middle school and high school were the worst by FAR.

College was more of a growing stage in my life. I went into college feeling that it was my one last chance to 'get it right' before entering the real world. I put a huge ultimatum on myself to make friends, party, etc, which ended up being a huge mistake. By the time I reached my final year, and realized I had failed to do all those things, I went into a deep depression and almost dropped out. But the silver lining was that it forced me to finally seek help in the form of a college psychologist who FINALLY diagnosed the cause of my problem as SAD. But looking back, I actually have some good memories of my college years, I really pushed myself beyond my comfort zone and went through some priceless growth. I don't regret it for a second.

2,348 Posts
I would say college. Yes, I was very anxious in high school but after a while I got comfortable. It helped by seeing the same people every day and some very nice people that gave me a chance and became my friend. I had friends in high school. Then I graduated, went to college, anxiety sky high. I felt inadequate. I only saw those people once a week so it gave me no time to get used to being around them in the class room. I guess it got better in my final year, but I still didn't really have any friends. There were some people I talked to but nobody I really considered a friend. I am glad it is over. However, sometimes I want to go back to school since I feel more confident now. Probably won't, way too expensive.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts