Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whats with these guys who are always going around telling good looking women how hot they are all the time?

Surely these women must know that they are attractive by now and have heard these lame comments a thousand times?

So i was meeting my brother in a bar recently and infront of me in the queue were two girls, and behind me two alpha male type guys who were pilling the compliments on to just one of the girls like "wow your so hot! what i would love to do to you.....etc", and i couldnt help but feel bad for her friend who got no compliments from them, its like saying "congratulations on being born good looking! But commiseration to your lesser attractive friend who im not complimenting.."

Its the same on here. Look up any 'attractive' girls profile and look at all the pages of messages they get from guys....."wow your so hot!" "your so pretty!"....etc.

Good looking guys on here dont get pages and pages of compliments from girls, so why do guys do this?

And what do these guys think they are achieving by doing this apart from making girls feel good about having good genetics?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Guys do this because they want to get with females who are generally attractive to most. Guys think the girl will be enamored with this and it will sweep them off their feet right into the guys arms. Also eventually they want companionship, or sex.

I wonder how a girl thinks of these neverending compliments, those who have the burden of being the desire of most of the opposite sex, or even sometimes same sex.

·
Banned
41 Posts
The friend might have been relieved that she wasn't the one being "hit on"

·
Captain Spacey
386 Posts
Guys do this because they want to get with females who are generally attractive to most. Guys think the girl will be enamored with this and it will sweep them off their feet right into the guys arms. Also eventually they want companionship, or sex.

I wonder how a girl thinks of these neverending compliments, those who have the burden of being the desire of most of the opposite sex, or even sometimes same sex.
I prefer chloroform! :yes

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts
If I can put a smile on a girl's face by paying her a genuine compliment, then a lot of happy endorphins are released in my brain. It's like a drug (and I don't have to want to get with her for this to work).

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Guys do it because they're genuinely struck by the woman's appearance, and/or to hopefully gain some currency with her. Maybe the secks.

Continuing with the monetary analogies, compliments are like money from a lending institution. There's plenty for those who don't need it, and next to none for those who could really use a few (bucks, kind words, etc.).

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
So i was meeting my brother in a bar recently and infront of me in the queue were two girls, and behind me two alpha male type guys who were pilling the compliments on to just one of the girls like "wow your so hot! what i would love to do to you.....etc", and i couldnt help but feel bad for her friend who got no compliments from them, its like saying "congratulations on being born good looking! But commiseration to your lesser attractive friend who im not complimenting.."
I honestly don't know what guys hope to gain from behavior like this. if I were in this situation and a stranger were making comments like that while giving my friend the brushoff, he wouldn't get so much as a smile out of me. now, if the guy were to be a little more of a gentleman about it, try to have a proper conversation with me, and give a polite, sweet compliment like "you look beautiful" or something, that would be a different story...

similarly, I have no idea why guys cat-call and holla at girls on the street. do they actually expect a positive response from this? or do they just enjoy making us feel uncomfortable? I'm genuinely curious lol.

If I can put a smile on a girl's face by paying her a genuine compliment, then a lot of happy endorphins are released in my brain. It's like a drug (and I don't have to want to get with her for this to work).
that's so cute! :)

·
Freedom is lurking
809 Posts
This. It's very true -- and she doesn't even have to smile. All she has to do is make eye contact for a few seconds, and the male brain gets high. If she smiles too, well, I'd overdose :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
In the OP situation those 2 guys were clearly just trying to sleep with the good looking of the 2 women. This is common for bars/clubs/parties, and works rather well if the guy is good looking as well.

What's wrong with giving out compliments? Women need food, water, and compliments...and the occasional pair of shoes - according to Chris Rock. I think we all could use a few more compliments as well - I do agree what you said about so many guys telling women on here they are good looking., and I am guilty as well.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
This is the second time I've seen this thought expressed on this site. Before that, I'd never even considered it/heard it mentioned before. It's no great secret who the attractive ones are within a group of girlfriends. I know in the past, when I'd go out with girls, they would get hit on, but, I never felt resentful of them for it; I think it's just kind of an understood -- Are you attractive? You will probably get hit on. Are you unattractive? You probably won't. I think it's sweet that you would even think about that, though, as, even having been "the designated fat friend" of the group, it's not something that ever crossed my mind, or bothered me in the least. In short - no one is entitled to compliments. That those men found one woman attractive and not the other isn't something deserving of pity - just, well, that's life. :stu

And, I'm assuming they wanted to sleep with her, but I could be wrong.

So, that said, some people on here have been very nice to me in that way. It feels a bit mean of me to doubt their sincerity, or question their motives - not that there is really any reason to, seeing as how this isn't RL on the street, or somewhere, where I know it wouldn't happen. So, why do men freely give out compliments to women OL? I don't really know. Then again, why does anyone...? :stu I know I have, too.

That's adorable.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I don't compliment girls very much unless it's something unique or special about them. A girl who is attractive knows she's attractive and the way it those guys sounded from your story sound needy. Worst thing you can do is continually state the obvious and kiss ***. Note: take another approach next time...

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Guys do it because they're genuinely struck by the woman's appearance, and/or to hopefully gain some currency with her. Maybe the secks.

Continuing with the monetary analogies, compliments are like money from a lending institution. There's plenty for those who don't need it, and next to none for those who could really use a few (bucks, kind words, etc.).
:ditto

Well said as always Atticus. Guys only seem to do it to girls that they are really attracted to. For some guys, they just want to make the girl feel good. But majority of the time, they won't take the time say it to a girl they don't find attractive. If they do then you can usually tell that it's insincere.

I've never had this kind of treatment before but have known and worked with females that have. For them the constant amount of compliments seems to be great at first but then they end up coming to me or someone else and say: "Ugh, I'm so over this." Too much of a thing gets sickening to anyone. Then, of course, the second they don't get compliments they get upset.

·
The Lonely Cowboy
707 Posts
I don't compliment girls very much unless it's something unique or special about them. A girl who is attractive knows she's attractive and the way it those guys sounded from your story sound needy. Worst thing you can do is continually state the obvious and kiss ***. Note: take another approach next time...
This dude only compliments girls when he wants chocolate chip cookies!

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
If I can put a smile on a girl's face by paying her a genuine compliment, then a lot of happy endorphins are released in my brain.
I don't compliment girls very much unless it's something unique or special about them. A girl who is attractive knows she's attractive and the way it those guys sounded from your story sound needy. .
I agree with both of these - the key here is "genuine" and "unique". Hearing guy's say "you're hot" over and over to hot girls is well...boring.

I can understand the odd genuine compliment, but I don't understand why guys HOUND some girls with them. The pic thread here is an example: the same attractive girl will get "you're beautiful!" comments 8 times in a row. I don't know, to me it kindof loses it after the first time or two. I do find it like...argh, because it's just so....expected.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts