Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I have realized that I need to start actually working on some of my social anxiety issues. I probably would not be diagnosed with SAD (I do not meet all of the DSM criteria and my Liebowitz score is in the low 40s). Externally, most people would assume that everything is going well, but the anxiety I experience and my responses to certain specific social situations (mostly interactions with strangers in social, non-career-related settings) have been very disconcerting.

While I have noticed this anxiety and my subsequent avoidance of certain situations for a few years, I have done little about this. However, 3 days ago, a friend noticed me avoiding a social situation and called me out on it. Immediately after that, I told told him and another friend about my fears and anxieties. I have never shared that much personal information with friends before, and still feel embarrassed and scared for sharing that information. Yet, I do realize that was a monumental first step

Anyway, I have spent the last few days reading and researching about SAD and specific phobias and came across this website. I consider this post a monumental second step and I hope I can learn much from my interactions with all of you.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, ICF135! :)

·
Back again ...
3,727 Posts
Hi, icf135!

You're right about both your first and second steps. Monumental indeed. Looks like you're taking it forward much better than most people already.

:wels

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
950 Posts
Welcome.

I personally think that a lot of people think they have a anxiety disorders when they don't. Of course I wouldn't assume that about you one way or the other. Everyone has anxiety in social situations, but for it to be SAD, it would, in my inexpert opinion, say that it has to impair you life in a major negative way.

On the Other hand, you don't have to meet everything on the DSM thing, and the other test you mentioned I believe is your opinion of yourself which is relative. Best thing for you to do is talk to a doctor if you have concerns or if your in college then they will have someone to talk to in the health department, even if it's just a community college. But I would strongly recommend getting it checked out by someone who knows more because you don't want to start down this road if you don't have too... trust me ask anyone here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts