Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :) I've actually been reading these forums for a little while now, and I think it's about time I actually sign up and contribute something lol. I have had social anxiety since as long as I can remember, but I always assumed it was something I was doing wrong. I used to freeze up in social situations and stare down. I couldn't even look my friends in the eyes at times. In more recent years, I started to get shakes and would get this nervous smile on my face all the time. :afr And now I have to fight back tears whenever I'm around people. I have tried to fight this for many years - putting myself out of my comfort zone as often as I could. I even took an acting class in college which scared the **** out me haha but I was surprised at how much fun it was and how great it felt to let loose in front of the class. I have also been a waiter for 5 years, and there have been so many times I had to look away from the people at my table because of how nervous I would get. But it definitely helps to fight it this way and be exposed in public. After I graduated from college last year, I felt completely alone. I started to get more and more anxious around my friends and I basically lost touch with all of them from school. I decided to see a therapist who helped me with CBT but my anxiety persisted. Two weeks ago I decided to try meds cause my anxiety and depression became overwhelming. So far, so good. The meds are helping a lot. Okay, so now you know my story in a nut shell. I hope we can all help each other and learn to live as free from anxiety as we can!

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
Welcome to SAS :wel

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Swish King welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
20 Posts
Better times ahead

Hi Swish King,

Just want to let u know you are a brave person and things will get better once u keep believing in urself. Being on the right medication will change ur life. Believe me I v been there. U are doing all the right things so just keep in there and remember ur not alone. If u need any one to chat to about stuff pm me. I know how lonely it can be but it does nt have to be. Good luck on the new meds, sometimes they can take a little while to kick in. :)

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, SwishKing! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Edmccart, yeah, the meds are helping a lot! I still have anxiety, but it has a much lesser effect. I even got a new job in my field where I walk others through my work as well as work with others on projects. I can open up to most people now, and I'm always jumping into conversations in the office. But, I still bug out sometimes :eek: lol its still a lot better than feeling anxious all the time. I can see some people feel really nervous around me at work and some who even avoid my eye contact during whole conversations. The only thing is...I don't want to stop taking these meds, but I feel like I eventually have to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts