Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hiding In My Den
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quitting world of warcraft (not due to boredum, due to many rude players and horrible tech support.) I'd like to play a new mmorpg and would like suggestions. This is what it must have, in order of importance

l1. Lots of soloable content, (possible to solo everything till possibly end game). Yet still a fair amount of quests you need groups to complete

2. Not much lag or downtime

3. Lots of quests and there not all to kill stuff

4. Friendly players who will help you if you ask, mature people

5. Good tech support. Not for gamemasters first reply to everything to be "do you have a custom UI instaled?" Then they automatically assume problem is on your end and don't look into it anymore.

6. Loot, and an in game AH or something like that to sell it at.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, I was going to suggest City of Heroes until you got to 6. :p

I've heard EverQuest II has done a lot to add more solo content to the game recently. I'm not sure how the lag is (depends on your computer mainly.) The community seems pretty mature too. I think WoW acted like a void that sucked a lot of the idiots away from the other MMOGs. ;)

Guild Wars might be another you could give some consideration, but I've heard the community there is almost as bad as WoWs...

Then there are a lot of the older titles - EverQuest, Anarchy Online, Dark Ages of Camelot...

A lot of them have free trials, maybe you could just pick one at random and give the trial a try?

·
Hiding In My Den
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hermit the Frog said:
Well, I was going to suggest City of Heroes until you got to 6. :p

I've heard EverQuest II has done a lot to add more solo content to the game recently. I'm not sure how the lag is (depends on your computer mainly.) The community seems pretty mature too. I think WoW acted like a void that sucked a lot of the idiots away from the other MMOGs. ;)

Guild Wars might be another you could give some consideration, but I've heard the community there is almost as bad as WoWs...

Then there are a lot of the older titles - EverQuest, Anarchy Online, Dark Ages of Camelot...

A lot of them have free trials, maybe you could just pick one at random and give the trial a try?
Thanks. The last one (loot) is probably least important to me, but it does make the game more exciting and fun. As for free trails? That would just be online right, I'd still have to go and buy the game? I can't really afford to be doing that, I need to stick with whatever I buy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Eve-online maybe, except it's sci-fi and I'm not sure to what extent I'd say it fulfills requirement nr 3. I'd say people are generally nicer and more mature there than most other online games.

Unlike other games you don't have to buy it in a store though, so a trial is completely free. I'll get you a buddy code if you want one :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Honestly wherever you go you'll have alot of immature players but more less so in a game like DDO or EQ2. I personally didn't like eq2 because they made it to easy for players who don't know wtf they are doing. But EQ2's community is about the best you'll find which isn't saying much. Alot of solo content... to the point of being to much for a multiplayeer game imo.

I'm personally wanting to try vanguard online
" http://www.vanguardsagaofheroes.com/ ". Also Dungeons and Dragons Online looks like it might be good but I've been out of touch with the gaming world for 2 months so not sure on changes. Besides those 2 not really much out there anymore thats very good as far as MMORPGs go.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i think you're asking the impossible. i don't think there's truly a good game in existance that has all that ;) i've played a lot of mmo's... but the only ones i played that are still going strong are probably wow and gw... you could try gw but it's not nearly as deep as wow... and really doesn't have much other than fighting heheh...

maybe you should just try a different kind of server on wow? what are you on? you could try an rp server. imo wow defeats every other mmo of the same theme/style, in pretty much every way... if you go on an rp server you'll find the people are a lot more into the game and to having fun, than just into power-levelling, kill-stealing and generally being miserable. they even have a couple rp-pvp servers now it seems.

·
Hiding In My Den
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sadpanda said:
i think you're asking the impossible. i don't think there's truly a good game in existance that has all that ;) i've played a lot of mmo's... but the only ones i played that are still going strong are probably wow and gw... you could try gw but it's not nearly as deep as wow... and really doesn't have much other than fighting heheh...

maybe you should just try a different kind of server on wow? what are you on? you could try an rp server. imo wow defeats every other mmo of the same theme/style, in pretty much every way... if you go on an rp server you'll find the people are a lot more into the game and to having fun, than just into power-levelling, kill-stealing and generally being miserable. they even have a couple rp-pvp servers now it seems.
I am on a rp server. I think the people there are horrible. They all have this elitest attitude about names, and roleplaying, and aren't very helpful. Half the time I try to talk to someone I get ignored, at times I've posted in the chat there asking for help, the one person said "get a new name then maybe yes". I defended myself and everyone jumped on me! I couldn't believe it. Also my ex is on same server as me and one of the leaders of everything....he runs molten core regularly and it's clear I'm never going to get into there, unless I go with the other group that runs it, which is a guild of all 60s that are impossible to get into. If you're not in one of those 2 groups you can pretty much forget about doing any end game stuff, period. Now I could join a new server but I'd want it to be a regular server, not pvp or rp, or even worse rp/pvp. Problem is, they haven't made any that recently. I make a new character on a long existing server and aren't I not going to be able to get in any end game stuff? So I need to wait until they make a new server :/ And who knows when that will be.

·
Hiding In My Den
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ott said:
Eve-online maybe, except it's sci-fi and I'm not sure to what extent I'd say it fulfills requirement nr 3. I'd say people are generally nicer and more mature there than most other online games.

Unlike other games you don't have to buy it in a store though, so a trial is completely free. I'll get you a buddy code if you want one :)
Thanks, I'll do some research on it online and let you know :)

·
Hiding In My Den
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright.I've completly had it with wow. I just logged in to play some. Went on the bat or wyvern as their called. Flew to where I wanted to. I got there and the stupid thing wouldn't land! I sat there for 10 minutes waiting as the bat flew there in place. Ridiculous. I complained in my guild chat and someone else had the zep disappear on them and drop them into the ocean, another was stuck in their wolf form. These problems happen way too frequently and I believe our server is one of the worst. If I was mad before I am way pissed now. I sent a GM ticket in yet again, probably my 1000 one since this piece of junk has so many tech problems and rude players. But I don't expect to get any decent reply, they always blame the problem on the user, they don't care if its half the server having these problems. If the other half isn't then it must be our fault. :roll. I just hate that I have till October until my game account expires. I think I'm just going to sell my account name and password on ebay along with my time left, I see alot of others doing it on ebay. Against their (wows) TOS? Yes. Do I care after all this? No. At least I can come away with a good 100 or so dollars from all this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Anarchy Online is free now, free to download and no monthly fee as long as you don't go for any of the expansions. Although it is getting kind of old now, not sure how it would compare to WoW.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I PMed you a code so you can try CoH 14 days free of charge. :) (I think you have to enter credit card info to use the trial, but it won't automatically charge your account when the trial ends as far as I know.)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Adam1203 said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Anarchy Online is free now, free to download and no monthly fee as long as you don't go for any of the expansions. Although it is getting kind of old now, not sure how it would compare to WoW.
the free offer just been extended for another year too.

·
Hiding In My Den
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hermit the Frog said:
I PMed you a code so you can try CoH 14 days free of charge. :) (I think you have to enter credit card info to use the trial, but it won't automatically charge your account when the trial ends as far as I know.)
Thanks... I don't need the game itself to try right? I will try on Monday as wows pretty active during the weekend, about the only time I can find a group.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I like WOW, but I play it with my younger brother (he has a separate account).
But I agree with you on the rudeness of the players (the "noob" namecalling and bickering has got to stop -- "you're a noob," "i'm not a noob, you are" blah blah blah). And on the crummy tech support. But I'll still play.

xoxo
Maggi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.