Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might not know but you can guess or blame something.

1. My dad was always in a bad mood when I was a kid, I don't talk to him anymore which is kind of f'd up, he only says things to me.

2. I'm a twin, there was no need for making friends in kindergarten, and it just took off from there

·
Registered
298 Posts
1. My dad was always in a bad mood when I was a kid, I don't talk to him anymore which is kind of f'd up, he only says things to me.
me too. He has always had a very bad temper, and his mood can change very suddenly when you least expect it. I learned to make myself as invisible as possible.

Our relationship has improved since my teenage years, but it is still strained.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
My dad had a bad temper too, lots of fighting and arguing growing up. My quiet side came from my mom's side of the family. I didn't develope SA until I was 32 or so which makes it difficult to say what the main cause is but I'm sure that my childhood contributed to a lot of the problems I went through in my life.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I don't think I had a main contributor to my SA...a little bit of everything caused it although, a very negative family made up a fairly large chunk of it.

·
Monster
6,552 Posts
me too. He has always had a very bad temper, and his mood can change very suddenly when you least expect it. I learned to make myself as invisible as possible.
Took that right out of my mouth

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dad was also very angry at times, I avoided him. My mom passed away when I was 12. Life after that was strange. I was very self concious at school. I felt the difference in my appearance in 8th grade not having mom there to shop for me. And i was always quiet i think, can't really remember my childhood. My brother and i ran into one of our old neighbors from when i was like 3 or 4. She asked was i still queit, she said yes before either of us said anything.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
1. Genetics. My mom had SA, or at least that's what I assume since she was extremely quiet and introverted

2. Childhood abuse. My father had a wicked temper and loved to show it.

3. My physical appearance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I developed BDD early in high school, therefore developing a sensitivity regarding people looking at me, due to my negative thoughts about my appearance. So, therefore I became very shy and nervous about people looking at me and judging me.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
In no particular order:

1. Domineering mother who was, at times, verbally abusive. I have, however, forgiven her.
2. Bullying at school and by siblings
3. Genetics
4. Dumb luck.

·
sleep deprived
13 Posts
1. My mom had/has it. She told me stories about how she was when she was young and it sounded like she was describing me. And I think my Grandfather (my mom's dad) might have had it too. From what I've heard, he was a very quiet man.

2. I made the wrong friends around age 10. They treated me horribly for years (I couldn't get rid of them). It was around age 10 when I developed SA.

Those are the only two things I can think of that might explain why I am the way I am.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I never really felt accepted by my peers throughout school. I wasn't really sure how I fit in with them. Also, my dad's side of the family don't acknowledge my existence. While I know it's not because of anything I did (due to issues between father and his family), I always took it personal. Growing up, I felt as if I wasn't good enough for them to like me.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
You might not know but you can guess or blame something.

2. I'm a twin, there was no need for making friends in kindergarten, and it just took off from there
I'm also a twin and they noticed that my sister and I would only talk to each other in kindergarten, so starting in 1st grade they seperated us into different classes. Then we hated each other but at least we made other friends lol.

The main source of my SA comes from dropping out of HS when I got depressed and losing touch with all my school friends. After that I only had my neighbor(who was my bestfriend) and my gf. My gf and I broke up, my other friend was really popular and I became isolated. Basically lost all the social skills I had and I've yet to get them back.
Also, it got worse when I was helping my dad umpire a local softball tournament. Each factory in my town sent a team of people who worked there. Most were just there to have fun, but a few were very competitive. There was actually a fight in the championship game. Anyways, during one of the games, I made a wrong call on something that was very obviously wrong and the guy who hit the ball kinda freaked out. I felt like a huge idiot for the rest of the game. I'm so surprised I didn't run away lol. I was frozen though and that was basically one of my first panic attacks. I kept it inside though, I just never want to feel that way again.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
What's the main reason behind my S/A?

An overly smothering mother, overly aggressive and insensitive father, and me being an unusually timid child. Oh and of course partly genetics. :roll

1 - 20 of 51 Posts