Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not been taking anything for anxiety or depression for a good few months but had a bit of a melt down recently resulting in being prescribed fluoxetine. I didn't want another antidepressant but I'm open to it because I obviously need some help.

When I was off meds I was using some herbal sleeping tablets, a ton of herbal teas. I remember hearing about Valerian root and St John's Wort having a negative impact on antidepressants. But I just read about people having issues from herbal tea??? I'm sure I still drank them last time, when I was on Sertraline.

I don't take St John's Wort but the herbal sleeping pills I use have Valerian root in so I'm worried about taking them together because I've heard about it inducing panic attacks and anxiety attacks. I'm sure someone on here will know a lot more about this than me and it could have just been a one off case.

I've also just read to avoid all herbal interactions with the medication, but that seems really drastic, I mean not even eating herbs? I've become really reliant on some herbal supplements to treat my IBS syndrome which are finally helping.

So just wanted some input if anyone has any, I'll discuss it with my doctor the next time I see her but as it's not until next Monday, it's a while.

Thanks in advance.

·
ULTRA
410 Posts
The "deal" is drug interactions.

SJW + SSRI = bad idea.

Always make sure to check out if a certain herb is compatible with a drug.
If you're not sure then better get off the herb. You can also ask your doc
but he will probably not know the answer and just say that the herb sucks
or something like that.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you can't even season food with herbs? I rely on peppermint for my stomach. How can you check if a certain herb is compatible with medication? I would have to check a lot I have an entire cupboard of herbal tea. Please don't sarcastically use quote marks on something I said. It's rude.

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
So you can't even season food with herbs? I rely on peppermint for my stomach. How can you check if a certain herb is compatible with medication? I would have to check a lot I have an entire cupboard of herbal tea. Please don't sarcastically use quote marks on something I said. It's rude.
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

This site has some herbs In there too that you can use to check.

·
giraffe
8,742 Posts
It depends how often you're taking the herbals. They still have effects on your body like a med would. And some interact with your regular meds and may counteract or increase their effects.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kehcorpz, thanks for the link, I'll have a look when I get more time tomorrow.

diamondheart89, that makes sense, it's just hard to find information, I assumed it was just the specific herbs I mentioned but to hear people have bad reactions from herbal tea seems a bit extreme.

yay, well as I said I don't take St John's Wort. I take Valerian root based pills occasionally and a bunch of other herbs. And like I just said to diamondheart89, it was the fact people mentioned having had reactions to just herbal tea I found that quite shocking and maybe it's just some hypochondriacs but I don't know a lot about meds. I understand St John's Wort has conflicting affects, I've never taken it though, but I've heard similar things about Valerian root.

·
giraffe
8,742 Posts
kehcorpz, thanks for the link, I'll have a look when I get more time tomorrow.

diamondheart89, that makes sense, it's just hard to find information, I assumed it was just the specific herbs I mentioned but to hear people have bad reactions from herbal tea seems a bit extreme.

yay, well as I said I don't take St John's Wort. I take Valerian root based pills occasionally and a bunch of other herbs. And like I just said to diamondheart89, it was the fact people mentioned having had reactions to just herbal tea I found that quite shocking. I understand St John's Wort has conflicting affects, I've never taken it though, but I've heard similar things about Valerian root.
Lots of people don't have enough information about this but ANYTHING YOU PUT INTO YOUR BODY can interact with your drugs. Hell, even sunlight with certain drugs can give you a bad reaction. That's why it's important to talk to the person who's prescribing you these meds and tell them if you're taking anything on a regular basis as far as herbs and supplements go.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel that I've been too rash but maybe I came across desperate.
ETA personally I have quite basic beliefs, I think herbs are potent and the properties they carry, naturally are strong and effective. They've helped me with other issues however anxiety is too much of an issue for me to rely solely on natural sources.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I feel that I've been too rash but maybe I came across desperate.
ETA personally I have quite basic beliefs, I think herbs are potent and the properties they carry, naturally are strong and effective. They've helped me with other issues however anxiety is too much of an issue for me to rely solely on natural sources.
It's tottaly understandable, I'm actually the same, very cautious overly infact about mixing herbs with medication and even foods. I check absolutely everything probably a taddd over the top...

sooo your a herbal tea conisuer what kinds you drink then?? I have a whole pantry full, probably at least 10+ peppermint is also a favourite of mine brilliant for IBS, you do have to be cautious with herbal teas thou, I drank a blend without fully reasearching it's properties and it turned out to interfere with my medication.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's tottaly understandable, I'm actually the same, very cautious overly infact about mixing herbs with medication and even foods. I check absolutely everything probably a taddd over the top...

sooo your a herbal tea conisuer what kinds you drink then?? I have a whole pantry full, probably at least 10+ peppermint is also a favourite of mine brilliant for IBS, you do have to be cautious with herbal teas thou, I drank a blend without fully reasearching it's properties and it turned out to interfere with my medication.
Heyy Nibbler, I thought I'd replied already but I clearly hadn't.

I have a whole assortment of herbal teas and herbal remedies. Mainly peppermint and chamomile. But sometimes ginger, chai, assam, lavender, jasmine, spearmint etc.

That sucks I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I didn't think twice about meds and herbs til I read some bad things. What medications are you taking?

Don't need to say here, I'll reply to your VM tomorrow anyway, sorry been very preoccupied at the moment.

·
giraffe
8,742 Posts
So... never go outside? That's a bit ridiculous, I'm sorry. I feel that it should be my doctor's responsibility to tell me what I can and can't take or do when I'm going to be on something they prescribed. They never say a thing though so what the hell. (sorry, any hostility isn't at you).
That's not what I meant, I meant anything can react with different meds. Most providers do warn you but if you happen to be taking some obscure herb that most people haven't heard of, it's unreasonable to expect them to warn you if you don't mention it first.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Most things are going to be fine but some can cause problems. I'd run all the herbs you take by your pharmacist or doctor to see if the. Are ok with fluoxetine. From memory peppermint sshould be fine, as should valerian. St John's wort, SAMe and 5htp are bad ideas, as are a few others.

Check with pharm. or doc or at least use drug interaction checkers (Google) to get a general idea.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your help! I'll ask my doctor on my next appointment. I find it hard to google things because people have such different reactions and you don't know what's real and what's bull****.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts