1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
12,868 Posts

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
41,964 Posts
On a scale of The Prometheus School of Running Away from Things - Neo from The Matrix I'm probably pretty bad at dodging bullets.

Metaphorically I'm probably more like the bullet being dodged. Only not much of a bullet that implies a level of direction and tenacity I lack, more just a vague explosive device covering people in shrapnel.

·
Banned
12,868 Posts

·
Failure's Art
1,904 Posts
@blue2 lol omg only like one pixel separates you from the certain loss of many hit points

Meh I just let all of life's many bullets blast me in the face repeatedly until I develop a personality disorder then just gripe about said bullets / disorders on the internet.

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,856 Posts
Mostly just been running away from them, as they are still endlessly chasing after me.

·
SUS Member
10,507 Posts
Either one of these:

Don't Quote Me said:
A woman I knew, who was not yet a Canadian citizen, tried to pressure me into having unprotected sex. I think because she thought having a baby would make it easier for her to get citizenship. And, ofc, that would have put me on the hook for child support. I got the hell out of there and she continued to stalk me for a couple of months.

My ex-wife stopped taking her birth control without telling me and put holes in our condoms. Fortunately, by this point, our relationship was so broken we'd more or less stopped having sex. I found out that she'd done this years after the divorce from a mutual friend. If she'd gotten pregnant, my life would have been a living hell, because she's completely crazy.

Baby-shaped bullets are some of the worst bullets around.

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
My guess would be that most of the big ones I have "dodged" have been cases where they simply missed me and I was totally unaware of it (and in fact, may have never even realized it and so, wouldn't even be able to name them). I'm not good at avoiding catastrophe when I see it coming. I pretty much just freeze. Basically, if there's anything bad coming my way, it can only miss me if I don't see it coming and bend over to tie my shoe at the last minute.

EDIT - I just realized this is the Positive Thinking section and I'm not sure how this thread fits here.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
I would say there has been quite a bit but at the same time it is too short to list. Funnily enough I had a somewhat similar discussion with someone just before about this. :smile2:

This is a bit personal for me to really share, but to put it brief it was with going out with someone who would've simply used me and then toss away when finding something/someone better. The only reason I went out with him was that he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders situational-wise. Despite the fact that I'm avoidant, it came to my advantage since I likely saved myself from taking any abuse if he were to 'decide' on keeping me anyway.

·
SUS Member
10,507 Posts
The summer before last, I also dodged a car that may or may not have been trying to run me over. I was walking through the parking lot (not far from the spot I'd had a bottle thrown at me the day before) and a car sped up behind me. I heard it coming and got out of the way. It missed me by about four inches and then went up over the curb and got stuck on the boulevard. I didn't stick around long enough to figure out what was going on, though. They might have had a heart attack or something. But my OCD kicked in and I ran as fast as I could because I thought they were trying to kill me. Had some pretty bad OCD for a while after that. I haven't had any run-ins with crazy people for like a year now, thanks to the pandemic.

·
bipolar
16,781 Posts
I don't like using the term "dodged a bullet" - especially when it involves other people. I think to do that is quite mean-spirited and nasty.

I would have had 2 other children by different women if things had gone differently when I was younger. I doubt the relationships - especially one of them - would have lasted, but who's to say those kids wouldn't have grown up to be wonderful. It's really more a matter of perspective.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I literally faked having back pains, so I could miss out on a family friend’s birthday party. They’re super social, so I knew that a lot of people where going to come. It also doesn’t help that my step mom forces me into “socializing with my friends” when they’re people who I’ve only talked to once. The birthday girl was a nice person, but I just can’t deal with big crowds. I always cry and have muscle pain the next day.

·
experimental sincerity
1,277 Posts
There were many, none of which I'm happy to recount. I'm way too equal-opportunities with people and go into situations that I know will end badly just to see what happens. Curiosity, cat, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts