Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a nude walk through a shopping plaza? dancing in a crowd, like no one is watching? talking to a stranger at a party? - and feeling comfortable doing all of it?
or just a total lack of anxiety from social things?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great question, I would say to be able to do all of the things that you want to do (that are physically safe and with in the confines of physics).

If you want to approach a group of strangers and start a conversation and you can do that, then I would say you are all in the clear.

If you want to chat up one person you think is super attractive and you do that, your in the clear.

If you find that you can't do what you want. Then its time to get to making it work.

·
Banned
360 Posts
Another good question worth addressing on SAS!

Many people don't have the guts to dance in the crowd like no one is watching and yet they won't call themselves socially anxious.mMany people wouldn't probably feel comfortable walking nude even in places where it's allowed. Again, hardly anyone would call them socially anxious for that.

On the other hand, I would think there could be people who'd feel fine dancing like nobody is watching but feel anxious when it comes to interacting with people verbally.

Then there are those who feel totally cool interacting with people but who are terrified of making oral presentations. That's already stage fright as opposed to SA.

In conclusion, I'd say it's not so black and white. It's important not to beat oneself up, label yourself or generally feel inferior for not being able to do some of the things you listed, because I'm sure a lot of people can't.

For me, SA means irrational anxiety during verbal interaction with most people. I wouldn't put low self-esteem into SA box, because again, people could have high self esteem yet feel anxious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i've done a couple naked bike rides through a major city.. danced in crowds, hitch-hiked across foreign countries.. i still always felt anxious.. but i've never wanted my anxiety to get the better of me. my experiences just never feel whole. the proof that anxiety is gone would be not feeling anxious while doing the things you want to do.

1,495 Posts
For me, it would be a reduction in panic attacks and not feeling like the whole world will fall from under my feet if I f* something up. Also steady moods, instead of constant highs and lows. In terms of social situations, being more receptive to guys and not being so ignorant or awkward.

·
indecisive piece of ****
634 Posts
I think I'll just know one day, that when socializing and dong normal tasks around or involving other people (even strangers) doesn't make me nervous... when I'm completely okay with it, that's when.

When will this happen? I haven't got a clue.

·
Custom User Title
4,231 Posts
Whenever I can lead a challenging and potential filling life of my own design, unhindered by unreasonable and irrational fears and doubts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For me, it would be a reduction in panic attacks and not feeling like the whole world will fall from under my feet if I f* something up. Also steady moods, instead of constant highs and lows. In terms of social situations, being more receptive to guys and not being so ignorant or awkward.
100% agree! expect the panic attacks. :D

·
All Kinds of Awesome
1,418 Posts
Another good question worth addressing on SAS!

Many people don't have the guts to dance in the crowd like no one is watching and yet they won't call themselves socially anxious.mMany people wouldn't probably feel comfortable walking nude even in places where it's allowed. Again, hardly anyone would call them socially anxious for that.

On the other hand, I would think there could be people who'd feel fine dancing like nobody is watching but feel anxious when it comes to interacting with people verbally.

Then there are those who feel totally cool interacting with people but who are terrified of making oral presentations. That's already stage fright as opposed to SA.

In conclusion, I'd say it's not so black and white. It's important not to beat oneself up, label yourself or generally feel inferior for not being able to do some of the things you listed, because I'm sure a lot of people can't.

For me, SA means irrational anxiety during verbal interaction with most people. I wouldn't put low self-esteem into SA box, because again, people could have high self esteem yet feel anxious.
^^^^That's a pretty balanced response. I agree with that.

Angekaa... you sound like an awesome person! Doing a naked ride requires a lot of hutzpah! I don't know how many people in general would be up to doing that!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I think the only fear I have left is speaking with women and taking rejection, other then that I have gotten better over time. Nowadays i do karaoke, Coyote ugly, take trains and buses, Las Vegas. Everything a normal person should do. I've limited my Social Anxiety to just that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts